News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1475 on: September 30, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
Spring Creek (9) Hershey (PA)
University of Michigan (MI)
Radrick Farms (MI)
Ottawa Park (OH)
Inverness (OH)
Sylvania (OH)
Tomassos (NY)
DJs Par 3 (9) (NY)
Caves Valley (MD)
Lehigh (PA)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1476 on: September 30, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »
Brahan
Fort Augustus
Tain
Invergordon
Golspie
Grantown-on-Spey
Ullapool
Brora
Tarbat (Portmahomac)
Fortrose & Rosemarkie

Nice listing. Rather envious😊
Atb

Rick Emerson

« Reply #1477 on: September 30, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
Rick,

How was Needwood? Did you play the Exec as well? Was Chan still behind the snack bar?? I can't wait to play it again. If there is no snow on the ground at Christmas, I will be there for a game!
Still short, fun and quirky. I walked by myself in the mid-morning and they let me off the back. I played in 2.5 hours and three putted the 9th green to shoot even par 70. After playing other places I forgot how easy it is. No exec. Unfortunately and I didn't see a single person who was there when I was working there. I asked the assistant, starter, and snack bar guy about some of the old employees I knew and they hadn't heard of any of them.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #1478 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »
Ten and then some.

County Louth, Baltray, Ireland

Bushfoot, Portballintrae, NI
Royal Portrush Dunluce, Portrush, NI
Royal Portrush Valley, Portrush, NI
Portstewart Old, Portstewart, NI
Portstewart Strand, Portstewart, NI
Castlerock Bann, Castlerock, NI
Castlerock Mussenden, Castlerock, NI
Portstewart River, Portstewart, NI

North West Golf Club, Buncrana, Ireland
Dunfanaghy, Dunfanaghy, Ireland
Portsalon, Portsalon, Ireland
Rosapenna Old Tom Morris, Carrigart, Ireland
Narin & Portnoo, Portnoo, Ireland
Donegal Golf Club, Murvagh, Ireland
Strandhill Golf Club, Strandhill, Ireland
County Sligo, Rosses Point, Ireland
Enniscrone, Enniscrone, Ireland
Enniscrone Scurmore, Ennniscrone, Ireland
Carne Hackett, Belmullet, Ireland
Carne Killmore, Belmullet, Ireland
Mulranny, Mularanny, Ireland
Orchard Hills, Washougal, WA, USA
Royal Oaks, Vancouver, WA, USA

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Sherma

« Reply #1479 on: October 07, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
Mike

Glad to see you came out and played Spring Creek. What were your thoughts on it. 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 are original McCarthy, the rest was rerouted and built in 2004 or so.

I love walking a quick nine there by myself as the first person out. Really fun course. When I was playing it a lot I would leave clubs out of my bag to force different lengths into the greens. Driving with a 4-iron or leaving the sand wedges out and figuring out what length to leave myself.

Spring Creek (9) Hershey (PA)
University of Michigan (MI)
Radrick Farms (MI)
Ottawa Park (OH)
Inverness (OH)
Sylvania (OH)
Tomassos (NY)
DJs Par 3 (9) (NY)
Caves Valley (MD)
Lehigh (PA)

Jim Sherma

« Reply #1480 on: October 07, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »
While on this thread I figured it was the right time of year to add mine.

Elkridge Club (MD)
Hershey West
Ballyhack
Hanover CC
Manada GC
Hershey East
CC of York
Green Pond (Bethlehem, PA)
Hunt Valley GC
Northampton CC (Easton, Pa)
Silver Creek CC (Hellertown, PA)

I know it's 11 but wanted to include Silver Creek. The original Ross 18 (includes the "Hill 9") is really good and worth a special trip.

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #1481 on: October 07, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
From this summer/fall (in reverse order):

TPC Boston
Belmont CC
Gulph Mills
Cabot Cliffs
Cabot Links
George Wright
Springdale GC
Weston GC
Wianno
Merion

Sean_A

« Reply #1482 on: October 08, 2016, 04:46:04 AM »
These are the last 10 that are first time plays for me.
Nirwana Bali
Delaware Springs Municipal
The Loop
Forrest Dunes
Kingsley Club
The Warren Course at Notre Dame
Kingsley Club
Baltimore Country Club
Wilmington Municipal
Lost Farms
Barnbougle Dunes
If it is true last 10 I have to pull off Tasmania and insert a couple of Maryland Munis I played for Nostalgia on my Summer Trip. Needwood Golf Course and NW Park in Montgomery County Maryland.

Rick

How was Wilmington?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jason Way

« Reply #1483 on: October 09, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
Kingsley
Arcadia Bluffs
Boston Golf Club
Highland Links
Exmoor
Erin Hills
Whitinsville
George Wright
Oakmont
Ballyneal
Sand Hills

Just finished putting together a recap of September visits to Oakmont, Ballyneal and Sand Hills for my blog with thoughts and plenty of photos.  For those who are interested in such things -->> http://bit.ly/GoGSept2016
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

MCirba

« Reply #1484 on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:47 AM »
Jason,

You really need to get to some better courses. 

Love the George Wright outlier.  ;)  :)

Greg Chambers

« Reply #1485 on: October 10, 2016, 02:02:15 AM »
"Stemming from Mac's recent thread, someone made the comment that most of the folks on here generally play average courses."
[/size][/color]
[/size]This was taken from the original post.  After over five years, and 61 pages later...I'd have to say that this premise was incorrect.[/color]
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Rick Emerson

« Reply #1486 on: October 10, 2016, 06:46:41 AM »

Rick

How was Wilmington?

Ciao
Wilmington was so much fun. It was especially good for the money. I remember the weekday rate was in the 20 something dollar range. It has a lot of parallel holes and a few of the holes next to one another are very similar 1 and 10 are parallel longer uphill par 4's  with the upslope in the fairway that makes them play longer. Also the downhill and back uphill 9 and 18. [size=78%]and there are also two parallel par fives playing the same direction over the same little stream as a second shot hazard. Its mainly flat except for the really cool back corner of the property on the other side of the road. With the amazing uphill downhill blind tee shot to raised green par 4 followed by the crazy volcano plateau par three. I think it was #3 and 4. The restored bunkers were amazing. They are true hazards. [/size]
[/size][size=78%]To sum up: good strategic holes, great use of the few natural features present, good bunkers and fun green complexes, too many parallel holes many using the same features. When you play the second 9 you get a lot of déjà vu moments. It's a great muni I could play often and not get bored.[/size]

Doug Wright

« Reply #1487 on: October 10, 2016, 01:22:09 PM »
A couple trips over the past month...

Cherry Creek CC
Tobacco Road
Pinehurst #8
Pinehurst #2
Dormie Club
Denver CC (3-4x)
Bandon Trails
Pacific Dunes
Old Macdonald
Bandon Dunes
Twitter: @Deneuchre

MCirba

« Reply #1488 on: October 10, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »
Mike

Glad to see you came out and played Spring Creek. What were your thoughts on it. 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 are original McCarthy, the rest was rerouted and built in 2004 or so.

I love walking a quick nine there by myself as the first person out. Really fun course. When I was playing it a lot I would leave clubs out of my bag to force different lengths into the greens. Driving with a 4-iron or leaving the sand wedges out and figuring out what length to leave myself.

Jim,

Great to hear from you.   My wife and I played Spring Creek the morning after the McCartney concert at Hershey Stadium and despite a loud, oblivious maintenance crew who seemed intent on following our every shot I really enjoyed most of the course, particularly the original holes on the higher ground.   The first green is one of the most unique I've ever seen and I thought for certain it had to be something done for novelty in the 2004 re-do until I looked at old aerials and discovered it was original!

I also learned that the course was originally built by Milton Hershey as the "Juvenile Country Club", and adult could only play back then if accompanied by a junior golfer.   Pretty cool guy, that Uncle Milty!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #1489 on: October 11, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
"Stemming from Mac's recent thread, someone made the comment that most of the folks on here generally play average courses."

This was taken from the original post.  After over five years, and 61 pages later...I'd have to say that this premise was incorrect.

I've posted twice to this thread in two years time. Week after week, I play average. Twice in those two years I have played something other than average, so I posted. I'm not sure your premise holds up Greg.
;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1490 on: October 11, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »
Ten and then some.
County Louth, Baltray, Ireland
Bushfoot, Portballintrae, NI
Royal Portrush Dunluce, Portrush, NI
Royal Portrush Valley, Portrush, NI
Portstewart Old, Portstewart, NI
Portstewart Strand, Portstewart, NI
Castlerock Bann, Castlerock, NI
Castlerock Mussenden, Castlerock, NI
Portstewart River, Portstewart, NI
North West Golf Club, Buncrana, Ireland
Dunfanaghy, Dunfanaghy, Ireland
Portsalon, Portsalon, Ireland
Rosapenna Old Tom Morris, Carrigart, Ireland
Narin & Portnoo, Portnoo, Ireland
Donegal Golf Club, Murvagh, Ireland
Strandhill Golf Club, Strandhill, Ireland
County Sligo, Rosses Point, Ireland
Enniscrone, Enniscrone, Ireland
Enniscrone Scurmore, Ennniscrone, Ireland
Carne Hackett, Belmullet, Ireland
Carne Killmore, Belmullet, Ireland
Mulranny, Mularanny, Ireland

A whole bunch of cracking Irish courses here Garland. Tell us your thoughts on some of them (I know you have for a few already but I'd would be interested to know what you reckon of the others).

Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #1491 on: October 11, 2016, 01:19:54 PM »
Brahan
Fort Augustus
Tain
Invergordon
Golspie
Grantown-on-Spey
Ullapool
Brora
Tarbat (Portmahomac)
Fortrose & Rosemarkie

Nice listing. Rather envious😊
Atb

Thomas,

there is a lot of very enjoyable lower tier course golf up here. It is a shame so few take the trouble to play the odd one or two during their big name golf trips. They really miss what true Scottish golf is all about. :'(

Still, their loss is someone else's gain  :)

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #1492 on: October 11, 2016, 01:53:19 PM »

there is a lot of very enjoyable lower tier course golf up here. It is a shame so few take the trouble to play the odd one or two during their big name golf trips. They really miss what true Scottish golf is all about. :'(

Still, their loss is someone else's gain  :)

Jon

Spot on Jon. Lots of lower tier but enjoyable golf all over the place really and I reckon you get a better appreciation for all aspects of the game if you play some of the under-the-usual-radar courses as well. Usually very good value. I've managed to play four of those you mention and either walked or looked over the fence at a couple of others. Look forward to some repeat plays and seeing more of all the others some day.

Atb

Jason Way

« Reply #1493 on: October 11, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »

Love the George Wright outlier.  ;) :)

I know you're ribbing Mike, but seriously, I'm not sure that I would call George Wright the outlier in that bunch.  That place was awesome - the land, the architecture, the history.  I loved it.  Right up there with Bethpage Black for me.

Interesting comments about playing average courses.  My preferences tend toward the ends of the spectrum.  I obviously dig the premium just like anyone, but I also like 9-holers, super-old quirky courses, country courses, short courses, and the like.  That is what appeals to me about Canal Shores.  Give me a good old fashioned dog track where I can just sling it around any day.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Sean_A

« Reply #1494 on: October 14, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
Garland

How was Bushfoot?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

« Reply #1495 on: October 14, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »
Garland

How was Bushfoot?

Ciao

Do you mean how many other golfers did I hit with my balls hooking into the wind?  :'(

Bushfoot was at most 7/9 links. Holes 5 and 6 are fully out of the sandy dunes.
Holes 1, 2, and 3 are fully linksy with alternative tees for 10 and 11, and an alternative green for 12 (instead of 3 green).
The 10 tee turns the soft opening 1 into a difficult (long) par 4 for the second time around. The 11 tee makes the 2nd hole much shorter, but coming from a right angle to the original tee. But, it makes it quite difficult for a such a short par 3. Unfortunately the 12th green puts the 4/13 tee in a very dangerous position for the approach to 12. I had a close call with my hooking approach there. I had a close call on 16 with players on 17 tee as it lengthens 7 and I have to play a longer stronger shot into the wind which hooked and ended up at the base of the 17 tee. 8 and 9 are fully linksy too. 4 and 7 are borderline links.

I found 1, 2, 3, 8, and 9 to be fun rollicking links, but 5 and 6 to be mostly fairly level fairway not sandy, not linksy, and to borrow your phrase, a "dead bore".

MCirba

« Reply #1496 on: October 15, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »

Love the George Wright outlier.  ;) :)

I know you're ribbing Mike, but seriously, I'm not sure that I would call George Wright the outlier in that bunch.  That place was awesome - the land, the architecture, the history.  I loved it.  Right up there with Bethpage Black for me.

Interesting comments about playing average courses.  My preferences tend toward the ends of the spectrum.  I obviously dig the premium just like anyone, but I also like 9-holers, super-old quirky courses, country courses, short courses, and the like.  That is what appeals to me about Canal Shores.  Give me a good old fashioned dog track where I can just sling it around any day.

Jason,

Our tastes sound very similar.   I'm also very high on George Wright.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in history who sandwiched George Wright between rounds at Myopia Hunt and The Country Club while staying at the Super 8 in Brockton.  :)

David Davis

« Reply #1497 on: October 17, 2016, 02:22:45 PM »
Ok just back from the Fall Circuit  ;D  why do golf trips have to come to an end....?

In this order, not 10 but one trip:

Chicago Golf Club
Bandon (all courses except Bandon Dunes (my least favorite)
Portland Golf Club
Meadow Club
Cal Club
San Francisco Golf Club
Cypress Point
MPCC Dunes
Valley Club of Montecito
LACC (North & South)
Riviera
Links at Terranea
Quivira
Diamante Dunes & El Cardonal
Cabo Del Sol

Nice to visit the sun for a while.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean Ogle

« Reply #1498 on: October 18, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »
I'm not sure how you follow up David's fall swing above, but mine wasn't too horrible either:

Ballyneal
Colorado Golf Club
Fossil Trace
Portland Golf Club
Machrihanish
Gleneagles (Kings)
Boat of Garten
Castle Stuart
The Old Course
Loch Lomond
Ayodhya Links

Will comment on other related threads with opinions on some of those.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #1499 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
Went to Ireland last month and played the following lineup:

K Club
Old Head
Waterville
County Sligo
Enniscrone
Carne (Hackett)
Carne (Kilmore)
Royal County Down
County Louth (Baltray)
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballybunion (Old)
Trump Doonbeg
Tralee
Lahinch
Portmarnock
The European Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back