News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1225 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »
Grizzly Ranch
Clear Creek
Lahontan
Martis Camp
Indian Creek
Gulph Mills
Bellerive
BCC (east)
Austin GC
Royal Links

Jim:
What are your thoughts about the Lake Tahoe area courses you played? 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #1226 on: July 21, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »
Terry,

How many 8's are in Chicagoland?  If we agree on three I have the Dunes in the group. Sure it's nine holes but don't discount the benefits of fewer holes and members.
My list of the top 3 would be: Chicago Golf, Shoreacres and Olympia North. Right below would be Skokie, Butler and Medinah.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1227 on: July 21, 2015, 05:25:57 PM »
Forgot about Chicago Golf. I shouldn't play rating games.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #1228 on: July 21, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
Forgot about Chicago Golf. I shouldn't play rating games.

Typically a fool's errand...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sean Ogle

« Reply #1229 on: July 21, 2015, 07:34:52 PM »
This past month has been one of my better golf months in recent memory. Here are my last 10.

This is also my very first post, so very excited to be a part of the community!

Riverside Golf and Country Club
Cal Club
Pebble Beach
Spyglass Hill
Half Moon Bay Ocean
Half Moon Bay Old
Pasatiempo
Plainfield
Maidstone
Atlantic

Welcome. And nice little run you're on there. HMB Ocean is an amazing property. It's too bad they let Arthur Hills have at it. Could have been a truly special golf experience.

No kidding. The finishing stretches on both courses were great, but outside of that, was largely disappointed. Had a chance to do something really special with the Ocean Course, and just didn't make it happen.

Jud_T

« Reply #1230 on: July 21, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
Guys,

There are far too many folks getting their panties in a bunch about subjective ratings of 5, 6 or 7 which in any non-grade-inflated world are good to great courses.  There's a legit argument for OF South to get a 6, which I might in fact come to on repeat plays.  FYI- The Dunes got a 6 and the Bev got a 5 in the original Confidential Guide. I can also understand how some might see Kingsley as a 7.  For reference, courses that have been given these "lowly" ratings in the past which I consider wonderful and fun:

5- Westhampton, Pine Needles, Belvedere, U of M, Old Elm

6- Harrison Hills, Lawsonia Links, County Louth

7- Shoreacres, Portmarnock, Fishers Island

Get a grip...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:13:16 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #1231 on: July 21, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »
Guys,

There are far too many folks getting their panties in a bunch about subjective ratings of 5, 6 or 7 which in any non-grade-inflated world are good to great courses.  There's a legit argument for OF South to get a 6, which I might in fact come to on repeat plays.  FYI- The Dunes got a 6 and the Bev got a 5 in the original Confidential Guide. I can also understand how some might see Kingsley as a 7.  For reference, courses that have been given these "lowly" ratings in the past which I consider wonderful and fun:

5- Westhampton, Pine Needles, Belvedere, U of M, Old Elm

6- Harrison Hills, Lawsonia Links, County Louth

7- Shoreacres, Portmarnock, Fishers Island

Get a grip...

Jud -

To list the above and also argue that Lost Dunes would be a 7 with better maintenance is dumb.

Do you honestly consider LD and Shoreacres to be in the same decile?

Cheers, Andrew

Jud_T

« Reply #1232 on: July 21, 2015, 10:57:12 PM »
7 was Doak's rating of Shoreacres.  I'd give it an 8.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1233 on: July 21, 2015, 11:38:47 PM »
Terry,

How many 8's are in Chicagoland?  If we agree on three I have the Dunes in the group. Sure it's nine holes but don't discount the benefits of fewer holes and members.
John , the recently restored Old Elm is right there in the mix- I don't see a noticeable difference between it and Chicago Golf Club. Dunes Club is also very good and improving with yearly tree clearing.

jvisser

« Reply #1234 on: July 23, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »
Ok, admittedly it's the last 12
but these are the 'new' courses I've played so far this year

Hamburger Golf Club Falkenstein
St. Dionys, near Hamburg
Royal County Down, Northern Ireland
Ardglass, Northern Ireland
Royal Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hardelot Les Pins, France
Le Touquet, La Mer, France
Le Touquet, La Foret, France
Royal Troon, Scotland
Dundonald links, Scotland
Prestwick, Scotland
Turnberry Ailsa, Scotland

Matt Glore

« Reply #1235 on: July 24, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »
2015 update last 10

Ballyneal
Riverdale Dunes Course
Wildhorse
Dismal Red- one less hole than I should
Dismal White
The Warren Course at Notre Dame
Harbor Shores
LaTour GC
Riverlands Golf Club
TPC Louisiana

Eric Smith

« Reply #1236 on: July 24, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Saint-Emilion
Falsterbo
Dismal Red
Dismal White
Colorado (Short Course)
Prairie Dunes
Colorado
Pinehurst No. 2
Peachtree
Sweetens Cove

Brian Bowman

« Reply #1237 on: July 27, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »
New to the boards, getting my feet wet with my last 10, have been exploring the top courses in Kentucky, with a few from Southern Ohio thrown in.

Hyde Park CC, Cincinnati, OH. One of my favorites, one of the best set of greens I've ever played, Ross made the most of this piece of land, and I feel blessed to get to play here once a year. I believe Tim Liddy did a great job with the restoration, and the members I have spoke with are really enjoying it.

Maketewah CC, Cincinnati, OH. Another Ross course, very fun to play, I'm starting to think I like Ross more than most for obvious reason.

Camargo Club, Cincinnati, OH. This course has been reviewed extensively on GCA, and while it certainly did not disappoint, it may be all understated reviews until you play there. Every hole has character, and the level of variety for the par 3's are nothing short of spectacular,

Valhalla GC, Louisville, KY. Not much to say about Valhalla, the architecture may be forced, but Valhalla provides an excellent experience (in perfect conditions) every time you play it.

The Club at Olde Stone, Bowling Green, KY. From what I've read about Arthur Hills (and played), I would say this has to be some of his best work. Unfortunately,  there are a few very weak, or even poor holes, but the overall design lets you test all of your game over a beautiful landscape.

Coldstream CC, Cincinnati, OH- designed by Dick Wilson, this tight tree lined course is an excellent test of golf. The staff is exceptional, and although less known than Camargo Club, if you get the chance to play it, I would certainly take advantage.

Big Spring CC, Louisville, KY. Big Spring is a very fun course, one of the courses I like to play the most in Louisville, who had a complete redesign done in 2004 by Rees Jones.

Hursbourne CC, Louisville, KY. A newer design in Louisville, conditioning rivals Valhalla in Louisville terms.

Stonelick Hills GC, Cincinnati, OH. One of the finest public courses I've played.

Standard Club, Louisville, KY. The club that I have spent some serious time at. When I was a freshman in college, I was on the grounds staff here, now as a senior in college, I am the intern Assistant Golf Professional.

Thanks for reading everyone, and nice to meet you,

Brian Bowman

Bill Crane

« Reply #1238 on: July 27, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »
 As of July 27, 2015:
Hollywood C C  (Deal, NJ)    -  7
Whipporwill (Armonk, NJ) -  6
Pormarnock ( Ireland ) -  8
County Louth – “Baltrie” (Ireland) -  6
The Island  (Ireland) - 5
Royal Dornoch  (Scotland) -   10  (without question)
Nairn  ( Scotland )  6.5 (  :-* )
Golf House Club Elie (Scotland)    6
The New Course, St Andrews (Scotland)   6
Yeamans Hall Club ( South Carolina)  8

Also – 3 days at Chechessee Creek Club this spring. 

A great year so far!  Looking forward to Manufacturers, Merion, Yale, Westchester C C, Beacon Hill and Alamance C C

Wm Flynnfan

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:13:29 PM by Bill Crane »

JLahrman

« Reply #1239 on: July 27, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »
Most recent to farthest in the rear-view-mirror:

1. The Warren Course (Notre Dame), South Bend IN - my second Coore & Crenshaw (counting Austin GC as Crenshaw only), really enjoyed it; good course on a mediocre piece of land.
2. Ubly Heights, Bad Axe MI - my in-laws' home club. Nothing spectacular about it, but a perfectly OK place to whack it around with my in-laws when we visit them in rural Michigan.
3. Bandon Dunes, Bandon OR - spectacular
4. Pacific Dunes, Bandon OR - spectacular
5. Bandon Trails, Bandon OR - spectacular
6. Old Macdonald, Bandon OR - spectacular
7. Riverside, Austin TX - some decent bones on this course, which I believe was Austin CC once upon a time.
8. Roy Kizer, Austin TX - solid municipal course
9. Morris Williams, Austin TX - decent municipal; only played it once, would like to play it more to compare it to Kizer.
10. Lions Municipal, Austin TX - fun little muni (when play moves)

CJames

« Reply #1240 on: July 27, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
Hi.  I recently joined GCA after quite a long period of enjoying the site.  This is my inaugural post.  I have been able to meet some new friends/acquaintances via GCA (e.g., Jason Way, Greg Ohlendorf, Bill Seitz, Andrew Lewis) and have known Terry Lavin for many years as we both play at the Dunes Club.  In reverse order, the recent 10 courses that I have had the good fortune to play are:
The Dunes Club
Shinnecock Hills GC
Winged Foot - West
Beverly CC
Chicago Golf Club
Olympia Fields - South
Prairie Dunes
Sand Hills
Dismal River - Red/White
Ballyneal
As a plus, last month I was fortunate enough to be able walk the new C&C course at Sand Valley as well as see the initial framework for the DMK course.  All of the foregoing golf experiences were highly enjoyable, and I am grateful that I can share the golf architecture passion with so many nice people.   

Terry Lavin

« Reply #1241 on: July 27, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
Charlie,

Nice to see you've ended your lurking and started posting!  Welcome to the treehouse.

CJames

« Reply #1242 on: July 27, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
Terry, thank you for the kind welcome!  I look forward to many more rounds of golf, laughs, and GCA conversations with you and all of the others on board the train!  -Charlie

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #1243 on: August 03, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »
Here are my last 10 from oldest to newest, it has been a good last month or so.

The Wisconsin Club, Milwaukee, WI
Crooked Stick Golf Club, Carmel, IN
Broadmoor Country Club, Indianapolis, IN
Olympia Fields (North), Olympia Fields, IL
Olympia Fields (South), Olympia Fields, IL
Mendakota Country Club, Mendota Heights, MN
Midland Hills Country Club, Roseville, MN
Stillwater Country Club, Stillwater, MN
Orchard Lake Country Club, West Bloomfield Township, MI
Crystal Downs Country Club, Frankfort, MI
Kingsley Club, Kingsley, MI

Jason Way

« Reply #1244 on: August 03, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »
Welcome Charlie.  Given that I know you have opinions, I look forward to seeing you share them.  Obviously from your last ten, your golf experience is relevant in this nut house.  Let's make sure that Canal Shores is in your next ten.

And nice work around the midwest Jeff.  Solid.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

David Kelly

« Reply #1245 on: August 03, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »

Just got back from a trip to England and these were the 12 courses I played (in order):

West Sussex
Broadstone
Yelverton
Mullion
Perranporth
Trevose
St. Enodoc
Westward Ho!
Saunton East
Burnham & Berrow
Bath
Huntercombe

The only course I might skip if I did the same trip again was Mullion but even it had a few pretty good holes as you got towards the water.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jason Way

« Reply #1246 on: August 03, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
July was a solid month:

Kingsley Club x4
Crystal Downs x2
Arcadia Bluffs
Manistee National
Forest Dunes
Black Forest at Wilderness Valley
Conway Farms
Onwentsia Club
Bryn Mawr CC
Canal Shores

I continue to fall more deeply in love with N. MI golf the further I explore it. 

August is shaping up nicely as well...
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #1247 on: August 03, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »

Just got back from a trip to England and these were the 12 courses I played (in order):

West Sussex
Broadstone
Yelverton
Mullion
Perranporth
Trevose
St. Enodoc
Westward Ho!
Saunton East
Burnham & Berrow
Bath
Huntercombe

The only course I might skip if I did the same trip again was Mullion but even it had a few pretty good holes as you got towards the water.

I'm in the middle of an oddly similar itinerary. Well, 8/12. Huntercombe, Kington and Cleeve down. Lots to come!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #1248 on: August 03, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »
Here are my last 10 from oldest to newest, it has been a good last month or so.

The Wisconsin Club, Milwaukee, WI
Crooked Stick Golf Club, Carmel, IN
Broadmoor Country Club, Indianapolis, IN
Olympia Fields (North), Olympia Fields, IL
Olympia Fields (South), Olympia Fields, IL
Mendakota Country Club, Mendota Heights, MN
Midland Hills Country Club, Roseville, MN
Stillwater Country Club, Stillwater, MN
Orchard Lake Country Club, West Bloomfield Township, MI
Crystal Downs Country Club, Frankfort, MI
Kingsley Club, Kingsley, MI

Jeff,
That is a great sampling of the midwest.  Would love to know your Doak Scale (Shelman Scale?) - selfishly for where you thought Broadmoor fits in.

p.s. It's too bad you weren't able to visit this week instead...it's playing as firm and fast as I've ever seen it.  Just wonderful to play right now.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #1249 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:03 PM »
Most recent first...

Purgatory GC - Noblesville, IN
Hillcrest Golf and CC - Batesville, IN
Old Wayne GC - West Chicago, IL
Kingsley Club - Kingsley, MI
Arcadia Bluffs - Arcadia, MI
St. Andrew's (Jemsek Course) - West Chicago, IL
Skokie CC - Skokie, IL
Beverly CC - Chicago, IL
Blue Mound Golf and CC - Wauwatosa, WI
Aldarra Golf Club - Sammamish, WA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back