News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1050 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
Quantity may make some jealous.. Quality likely won't. Last ten played in last 7 days...

The Florida Club
Doral Red Tiger
Club at Emerald Hills
Palm Cove
Martin Downs
Gator Trace
The Saints at Port St Lucie
St Lucie Trail
Boca Raton Municipal
Davie
Hollywood Beach

Mark,
Thoughts on Doral's Red?
I was quite disappointed given the architects-certainly hoping they were following a certain owner's mandate.
About as much fun as sticking needles in my eyes.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Fisher

« Reply #1051 on: February 24, 2015, 05:19:56 AM »
Having been off games with a broken leg for the whole of last year, but looking forward almost ecstatically to returning to the fray at Harlech later this week, I was looking through my personal log of 'my last ten' (which effectively date from 2013)

Going backwards from December 2013,

Gog Magog (Old)
Swinley Forest
Harlech
Gog Magog (Wandlebury)
North Berwick
Dunbar
Goswick
The Sacred Nine
Porthcawl
Huntercombe

which on reflection is an extremely engaging (indeed privileged) tentet. Allowing for massive personal bias, I would place Harlech, Porthcawl, Swinley and North Berwick in the very top tier of UK courses, Huntercombe and Worlington (two very similar clubs, as clubs, especially now that Huntercombe is the home base of the Oxford University Golf Club) perhaps just fractionally below although I like them both just as much as the first four, then Dunbar and Goswick (good, but not I think great) and then the two Gogs courses (both very enjoyable members' courses, with excellent year-round playability). As ever such a list reminds the British-based golfer of how lucky we are, with such variety (and accessibility) within no more than a six-hour drive of my home base in Cambridge. And so much to look forward to in 2015!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1052 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »
Calusa Pines
Naples National
Old Collier
The Hideout
St Louis CC
Sentry World
West Bend CC
Beverly CC
Butler National
Big Foot CC

The biggest surprise was Naples National- not sure I've seen a course with such impeccable detailing and conditioning.  Terrific layout that should merit top 100 Modern status. I suspect it gets overlooked with Calusa just down the road,

JJShanley

« Reply #1053 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
Camargo (#1 all time.)
Harborside (Port)
Lake Michigan Hills
Elbel
Blackthorn
Warren at Notre Dame
Wigwam Gold
Papago
University of Maryland
Craigielaw

Chris DeToro

« Reply #1054 on: February 24, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
Makai GC
Poipu Bay GC
Kapalua Plantation
The Estancia Club
Bay Hill
Golden Bear at Keene's Pointe
LPGA International Jones
LPGA International Hills
Quail Hollow Club
Fountains CC

Best experience--Bay Hill.  Just not a lot of places you can run into Arnold Palmer
Favorite course--Kapalua even in the rain.  The course plays a lot different when it's wet than really dry like it typically is during the tour event.  Makai is a close second

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #1055 on: February 24, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Best experience--Bay Hill.  Just not a lot of places you can run into Arnold Palmer

Interesting, Bay Hill was actually our worst experience by quite a significant margin. Here's a strange FL trip we just got back from:

Ponte Vedra Inn & Club (Ocean)
Bay Hill
Lake Nona
Isleworth
Park Ridge
Palm Beach Par 3
West Palm Beach
Madison Green
North Palm Beach
Abacoa

This line-up all hastily thrown together and was reliant on a lot of outside factors, hence the pretty random mix of courses. Both Mountain Lake and Adios were scheduled but had to get canceled for various reasons.

Most pleasant surprise: Ponte Vedra (loved the course and the accommodations)
Biggest disappointment: Bay Hill (strongly disliked the course and the accommodations)

Park Ridge was a blast and a refreshing change-up. I could play the 8th hole every day.
Loved the green complexes and bunkering at West Palm Beach, but the course was absolutely soaked when we were there.
Greatly preferred Isleworth to Lake Nona. More interesting and a more natural-feeling layout. Plus, that men's grille room...

The rest I'd played numerous times and they fulfilled their functions:

I'm a big fan of the contours of the greens at NPB, and return there for that alone.
Madison Green is a bit ridiculous, and it seems every year I go back the shrubs and trees along water hazards get taller and more unnecessarily disruptive.
Hadn't been to Palm Beach Par 3 since they added the new clubhouse. What a great building. Apparently we just missed Ringo Starr doing a photo shoot there.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Rees Milikin

« Reply #1056 on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:38 AM »
Sugarcane Golf Club
Clewiston Golf Course
Fort Myers CC
Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Forest Creek North
Pine Needles
Deltona Club
Miami Springs Golf & CC
Suwannee Country Club
Lake Wales CC
Ocala Golf Club
Great Dunes

Matt Meyer

« Reply #1057 on: February 24, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
The Golf Club
Westbrook CC
Eaglesticks
Columbus CC
Moraine CC
Highlands CC
CuisinArt Anguilla
Holston Hills CC
Kiawah - River
Kiawah - Cassique

Sam Krume

« Reply #1058 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
RAC - old course
Woking
Worplesdon
Royal Ashdown Forest - old course
Princes
The Addington
Walton Heath - new course
Stoneham
Harpenden
The London club

Søren Rye

« Reply #1059 on: February 24, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
Royal Golf Club Copenhagen
Odense Eventyr Golf Klub
Københavns Golf Klub
Hornbæk Golf Klub
Vejle Golf Klub
Volstrup Golf Klub
Gardagolf Country Club (Italy)
Barsebäck G&CC - Masters Course (Sweden)
Ljunghusens Golfklubb (Sweden)
The Scandinavian Golf Club - Old

jeffwarne

« Reply #1060 on: February 24, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
Sugarcane Golf Club
Clewiston Golf Course
Fort Myers CC
Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Forest Creek North
Pine Needles
Deltona Club
Miami Springs Golf & CC
Suwannee Country Club
Lake Wales CC
Ocala Golf Club
Great Dunes

With the exception of the Pinehurst area, that might be the best value list I've seen(other than the money you lost to Mike at deltona)-especially with the rest of the country under snow.
Where's Sugarcane? and how is it?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rees Milikin

« Reply #1061 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
Sugarcane Golf Club
Clewiston Golf Course
Fort Myers CC
Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Forest Creek North
Pine Needles
Deltona Club
Miami Springs Golf & CC
Suwannee Country Club
Lake Wales CC
Ocala Golf Club
Great Dunes

With the exception of the Pinehurst area, that might be the best value list I've seen(other than the money you lost to Mike at deltona)-especially with the rest of the country under snow.

Sugarcane is the course in Belle Glade, FL, about 15-20 minutes from the Clewiston course and has 9 holes that haven't changed much since they were built in the late 30's..  Excluding the NC courses, I spent maybe $200 on FL golf since New Years. I was able to work out almost all of them around work travels, which helps.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #1062 on: February 25, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
Valley Club
Wilshire
Settindown
Rivermont
Desert Forest
Superstition Mountain-Prospector
Superstition Mountain-Lost Gold
Naples National
Piedmont Driving Club
Wolf Point
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #1063 on: February 25, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
LACC
Riviera
Austin Golf Club
Whispering Pines
Kapalua Plantation
Kuki'o
Nanea
Westwood (Houston)
Champions - Cypress Creek
Wolf Point

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #1064 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
Sugarcane Golf Club
Clewiston Golf Course
Fort Myers CC
Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Forest Creek North
Pine Needles
Deltona Club
Miami Springs Golf & CC
Suwannee Country Club
Lake Wales CC
Ocala Golf Club
Great Dunes

Sugarcane is the course in Belle Glade, FL, about 15-20 minutes from the Clewiston course and has 9 holes that haven't changed much since they were built in the late 30's..  Excluding the NC courses, I spent maybe $200 on FL golf since New Years. I was able to work out almost all of them around work travels, which helps.

Rees, I've seen Sugarcane advertised on GolfNow.  It says it's 18 holes by Gary Player I think.  What am I missing?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #1065 on: February 25, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
Sugarcane Golf Club
Clewiston Golf Course
Fort Myers CC
Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Forest Creek North
Pine Needles
Deltona Club
Miami Springs Golf & CC
Suwannee Country Club
Lake Wales CC
Ocala Golf Club
Great Dunes

Rees, I've seen Sugarcane advertised on GolfNow.  It says it's 18 holes by Gary Player I think.  What am I missing?

Only play the 9 that are next to the dam, those are the original 9 from the late 30's and not much has changed since then.  The Player group added another 9 sometime in either the late 80's or early 90's and I haven't ever bothered playing them since I like to play the original 9 and then drive to Clewiston and play the original 9 that Stiles and Van Kleek did there.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #1066 on: February 27, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
Sugarcane Golf Club
Clewiston Golf Course
Fort Myers CC
Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Forest Creek North
Pine Needles
Deltona Club
Miami Springs Golf & CC
Suwannee Country Club
Lake Wales CC
Ocala Golf Club
Great Dunes

Only play the 9 that are next to the dam, those are the original 9 from the late 30's and not much has changed since then.  The Player group added another 9 sometime in either the late 80's or early 90's and I haven't ever bothered playing them since I like to play the original 9 and then drive to Clewiston and play the original 9 that Stiles and Van Kleek did there.

Awesome Rees, thanks for the information. 2 courses added to the 'to see' list for my upcoming visit to FL.

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #1067 on: February 27, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
As I was going back through my list, I realized I play very little golf during football season.

Forest Creek (North)
Forest Creek (South)
Dormie Club
Kiawah Island (Turtle Point)
Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog)
The Homestead (Cascades)
The Greenbrier (Old White)
The Greenbrier (Greenbrier)
North Ridge (Lakes)
Lonnie Poole

Sean_A

« Reply #1068 on: February 27, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »
Andrew

What is Lonnie Poole like?  Whats good/bad about the course?

Huntercombe
Notts
Mosely
Worplesdon
Walton Heath New
Cumberwell Park
Cleeve Cloud
Burnham x3

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:02:39 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Daryl David

« Reply #1069 on: February 27, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
A few more than 10

Titirangi
Kinloch
St. Andrews Beach
The Dunes Golf Links
Peninsula Club North
Barnbougle Dunes
Lost Farm
Kingston Heath
Royal Melbourne East
Cape Wickam
Metropolitan Club
Victoria
The Hills
Jack's Point
Arrowtown

Jim Nugent

« Reply #1070 on: February 28, 2015, 02:44:23 AM »
Daryl, how did you like Titirangi?  The club's website says Alister Mackenzie designed it. 

I don't see Royal Melbourne West on your list.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #1071 on: February 28, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
A few more than 10

Titirangi
Kinloch
St. Andrews Beach
The Dunes Golf Links
Peninsula Club North
Barnbougle Dunes
Lost Farm
Kingston Heath
Royal Melbourne East
Cape Wickam
Metropolitan Club
Victoria
The Hills
Jack's Point
Arrowtown

Daryl,

Wonderful to meet you and Linda during your time at Metropolitan.

I'm heading down to Cape Wickham on March 20th - keen to hear your thoughts!

Ben
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Daryl David

« Reply #1072 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
Daryl, how did you like Titirangi?  The club's website says Alister Mackenzie designed it. 

I don't see Royal Melbourne West on your list.

Titirangi is very good. If you didn't know you were in Auckland, you would think you had been dropped down in the Sandbelt.  Played RM West on the last trip so wanted to play East this time. The course was set up for the women's open so it was perfect. 

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #1073 on: March 01, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Andrew

What is Lonnie Poole like?  Whats good/bad about the course?

Ciao

Sean,

Lonnie Poole is a tough one for me.

The site lends itself to a lot a dramatic movement and interesting holes.

The site also has a lot restrictions through wetlands that result in holes that don't really work, long walks between greens and tees, and the potential for a lot of lost balls.

Overall, I think it's worth playing once, if only for the great views of downtown Raleigh.

APB

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #1074 on: March 06, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »

The biggest surprise was Naples National- not sure I've seen a course with such impeccable detailing and conditioning.  Terrific layout that should merit top 100 Modern status. I suspect it gets overlooked with Calusa just down the road,
I could'nt agree more. I thought it was a really nice course and a wonderful walk
wonderful conditions as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back