News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #550 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:18 AM »
My next ten should be the best ten-course run I've ever had in my 47 cycles of birth. This resplendent and venerable body will be the first to know, should I pull it off.

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing about it, wherever it may be.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #551 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »
Mark, make the trip!

Jack's Point is definitely worth seeing.  Best views on any golf course I've played.  Period.  The view across the lake continues to mesmerize me and I'm surrounded by it 24/7!

Turf is best I've played in a long time as well (Leo - before you kick me out, I'd say it is on par with Pram).    Firm and fast and plenty of ground options - particularly from hole 5 onwards. 

It's obviously a big course which has some drawbacks in terms of routing, walkability etc. But, you get plenty of that down the road at Arrowtown GC.

And John's comments on his blog about the quirk factor, with planes taking off and the screams of skydivers heard thousands of feet up in the air are very valid..

Hopefully you might see Jack's Point on golf channel in 13 months or so as we grow our pro-am to a three course model.   

When you or others come down, message me.

Michael

@Pure_Golf

Josh Tarble

« Reply #552 on: January 22, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »
Not to threadjack, but Michael can you tell us a bit about Jack's Point?  This is a course I am curious about.

Thanks! 

Mark,
Just to chime in with everyone else, definitely make an effort to play Jack's Point.  It is absolutely fantastic and Queenstown is one of the coolest places on earth to boot.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #553 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »
And John's comments on his blog about the quirk factor, with planes taking off and the screams of skydivers heard thousands of feet up in the air are very valid.

I was one of those screams a few years back.

Jack's Point is definitely worth seeing.  Best views on any golf course I've played.  

The view from 15,000 feet is even better.

Foolishly/unfortunately I didn't play the course while I was there. At the time I was backpacking around the world and it seemed like a better idea to spend what little money I had on jumping out of a perfectly good plane rather than playing golf......

I wish I'd known about Arrowtown whilst I was there, it would have definitely been more in my budget.

At least I've got another excuse to go back at some point, the whole of New Zealand is an amazing place.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #554 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »
CDS Ocean (yesterday morning, complete with whales off the back of the 16th green!)
CDS Desert (1/20)
CDS Ocean (1/20)
Diamante (1/19)
CDS Ocean (1/19)
CDS Ocean (1/18)
CDS Desert (1/18)
CDS Ocean (1/17)
Kukui'ula (11/29)
Poipu Bay (T-day)
Wailua (11/25)

The silly-season tour!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Joey Chase

« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »
Some interesting golf but not on a level with most here;

Golf de Dolce Fregate - Fream
Barbaroux - Dye
Moliets - Jones
Southern Dunes - Schmidt/Curley
Mesa Country Club - Bell
We Ko Pa (Saguaro) - Coore/Crenshaw
Seven Canyons - Weiskopf
Lausanne - Harradine, Jeremy Pern
Domaine Imperial - Dye
Evian - Park, Cabell Robinson

Dominic Meese

« Reply #556 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »
Hi all, this is my first post. Excited to be on board.

Residing in Melbourne, my last ten courses played are:

Commonwealth
Metropolitan
Royal Melbourne West
13th Beach (Beach)
13th Beach (Creek)
Kingston Heath
Woodlands
St Andrew's Beach
Peninsula North
National Moonah

Cheers
Dom

Jason Topp

« Reply #557 on: January 24, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
I can't just pull from GHIN any more because many of my rounds have been on my home courses.

CDS Ocean
CDS Desert
Dunes at Diamante
Old Corkscrew Golf Club
Windsong Farm
Oak Ridge Country Club
Midland Hills Country Club
Town & Country Club
Bunker Hills Golf Club
Dacotah Ridge

jeffwarne

« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »
Southampton
Goat Hill
Tallgrass
Mountain Lake
Sreamsong Blue
Lekarica
Bartow
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Blue
Lake Wales
Pinecrest
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #559 on: January 26, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
Southampton
Goat Hill
Tallgrass
Mountain Lake
Sreamsong Blue
Lekarica
Bartow
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Blue
Lake Wales
Pinecrest

Jeff, can you give your thoughts on the courses you played around Streamsong? I don't need to hear about ML.

jeffwarne

« Reply #560 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:09 PM »
quote author=Mark Saltzman link=topic=49159.msg1263128#msg1263128 date=1359250301]
Southampton
Goat Hill
Tallgrass
Mountain Lake
Sreamsong Blue
Lekarica
Bartow
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Blue
Lake Wales
Pinecrest

Jeff, can you give your thoughts on the courses you played around Streamsong? I don't need to hear about ML.
[/quote]

Here you go Mark,
BTW, I enjoyed the tour of Palma Ceia, played there a couple of years ago-never knew it was on only 83 acres!

First of all a big shout out to Kyle Harris, whose past GCA references to these courses proved invaluable.

Lekarica--easily the collest clubhouse/pro shop area I've seen in a long time.Looked like right out of the 50's, and some of the merchandise was ;D
Household refrigerator full $2 beers still in 6 pack rings. $2 off coupons behind register bringing prime time peak season green fee total to $25.
Stiles and van Kleek-greens have shrunk a lot, definitely have changed some holes-6 were closed and made into WW2 Victory gardens and replaced somewhat recently.(was a 12 hole course for many years)
Formerly valled Highland park
A very mature look to the place in many spots, nice sandy surrounds in a lot of roughs.
Conditioning a heavy rye overseed on both greens and fairways, surprised if greens had much grass come summer-many of the tees yielded challenging sidehill lies. ;)
Very busy, yet play moved briskly- 3 3/4 hours in a foursome.
In need of a lot of TLC, but my kind've place.
Quite a few really cool holes, some surprisingly good scenery, and quite a bit of large elevation change.
If you can't handle meadowy fairways and greens running 6, play elsewhere.

Bartow-Donald Ross
a little more muni generic- good vibe in the restaraunt/bar-busy place frequented by locals, not just there for the golf.
Quite a few good holes-many mature live oaks draped with Spanish moss.
Again very busy, yet a brisk pace-under 4 hours for our foursome.
Decently conditioned overseeded greens, perhaps running 8-9.
I enjoyed it, not quite the eccentricity of Lekarica, but a good course.

Lake Wales-Donald Ross
Much more of a "south Florida" feel with the early  front nine running through condos and houses.
Some pretty good holes starting on #5, once escaped the early neighborhood .
Private, Very busy, well conditioned-greens running 8-9.
Played back tees which were WAAAY back creating narrow, tree lined chutes on multiple holes, large gap from backs to blues.
Nice place,good course- perhaps a bit suburban/urban for my taste.
Pro was very accomodating
Pace of play quite good.

Pinecrest-Donald Ross (at least 9)
a bit of an enigma
easily the busiest course/parking lot I've ever seen.
Clubhouse classic muni-cooked and delivered 6 burgers in 7 minutes enabling us to make tee time, despite packed dining room and packed tee sheet.
6 some in front of us,played in 4 hours.
very well conditioned, fast,firm greens overseeded with bent 10.5-11.5.
several really cool holes, front nine weaves through orange groves, white OB stakes EVERYWHERE on 5-6 holes somewhat mar the landscape.
2 and 3 very good holes with #3 a cape over/around a marsh.
Back nine older, more mature oak trees. 4-6 good holes to start nine.
Perhaps a little repetitive finish with 3 similar par 4's to finish.

The scale(to say nothing of the atmosphere) of all four courses provided dramatic contrast to Streamsong
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:30:36 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #561 on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
Jeff, thanks, I always enjoy and value your opinion of golf courses.  I think you value the 'vibe' of the place a bit more than I do, but I get a lot out of your reviews.

I similarly have to thank Kyle Harris for his past descriptions and recommendations.  I selected Pinecrest on Avon and was happy with the choice (picked more because of location than anything else).  Why do you say only 9 Ross holes there? I hadn't heard that.  I agree there is A LOT of good stuff there and really an interesting set of green complexes.  Amazing how a hole like the 6th, which frankly is as boring as a hole can be, can be made interesting with an undulating, raised green.  I liked the cape 4th as well, though can't imagine those back tees are original.  5 is a great par-3, using the bunkers to hide the putting surface and with the curved ridge running through the centre of the green.  The coolest green site has to be at the 14th set tight against the road.

The other one that interests me in the area is Cleveland Heights, a Flynn but I'm told that only those very familiar with his work can see the remnants of what he did there.  Have you played there before or did it receive consideration on this trip?

Your comments on Lake Wales seem luke warm. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »

The other one that interests me in the area is Cleveland Heights, a Flynn but I'm told that only those very familiar with his work can see the remnants of what he did there.  Have you played there before or did it receive consideration on this trip?

Your comments on Lake Wales seem luke warm.  

I have played Cleveland Heights a couple years ago-didn't play all three nines-many good holes.
I'm told a lot of the Flynn has been lost but there were many old school features and certainly a maturity to the property.
Wasn't considered due to time.

I simply had higher expectations for Lake Wales, a good course, but not quite on a architectural par with say Palma Ceia or Temple terrace.
Holes 6-18 pretty good, with the exception of the long par 4 14th which could be good hole but par three 15th tee intrudes on the corridor of the hole creating lost ball bushes that protect next tee on one side and OB on the other-both beginning 30 yards short of green and continuing past green.
seems a shorter par 3 15th would've been a better solution and created more variety (3 par 3's over 200)
par 3's very similar-200 ish yards with one exception.(again,w e played the back tees-that seemed to pursue yardage wherever available-may be more variety from other par 3 tees-and one could certainly create  variety by mixing tees)
Just felt like a lot of other Florida courses on a few of the holes.
Many greens had shrunk dramatically with 10+ foot fringes.

Excellent hospitality, well conditioned and no doubt a good place to be a member.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:10:57 AM by jeffwarne »

Bill McKinley

« Reply #563 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
Streamsong Blue
Isleworth
Southern Dunes
Mountain Lake
Streamsong Red
Gasparilla Golf Club
Fiddlesticks - Long Mean
Acacia CC (NLE)
Oakmont
Brookside (Canton)
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #564 on: January 28, 2013, 06:07:26 AM »
Starting with the most recent

Royal Melbourne East
Lost Farm
Barnbougle Dunes
Peninsula North
Kingston Heath
Royal Melbourne West
St Andrews Beach
Woodlands
Victoria
Olympic Club

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #565 on: January 28, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »
Escondido
Spanish Oaks
Streamsong Blue
Streamsong Red
Pine Tree
Champions
Cabo Del Sol Ocean
Diamanté
Preston Trail
SFGC

Bill Crane

« Reply #566 on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
Atlantic City C C  (NJ)
Springdale Golf Club  (home club – NJ)
Chechessee Creek Club
Stoney Creek Club  (NC)
The Course at Yale (CT)
Saranac Inn Golf and Country Club (NY)
Whiteface Club and Resort (NY)
Pine Valley (NJ)
Merion (PA)
Stonewall (PA- both courses)

Looking forward to Chechesee in March !!

WmFlynnfan

Paul OConnor

« Reply #567 on: January 28, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #568 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
The Carolina - NC, Whispering Pines - Arnold Palmer - I'll probably play again because the price can be right
Pine Needles - NC, Southern Pines - Donald Ross I'll definitely play again - one of the top courses in the area
Mid Pines - NC, Southern Pines - Donald Ross I'll definitely play again - one of the top courses in the area
Rustic Canyon - CA, Moorpark - Gil Hanse as much of a home course as I've got here
Eglin AFB - Eagle Course - FL, Valparaiso - Langford and Moreau maybe? future home course
Whispering Woods Golf Club - NC, Whispering Pines - Dan Maples/Ellis Maples probably won't play it again
Whispering Pine - Pines Course - NC, Whispering Pines - Ellis Maples will play again - you can find great prices
Dormie Club - NC, West End - Coore and Crenshaw I'll definitely play again - one of the top courses in the area
Marine Memorial - CA, Camp Pendleton - William P. Bell Top half of the military courses I've played
Malibu Country Club - CA, Malibu - William F. Bell I won't play again

Played a few of these courses a few times.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #569 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
Charlie,

Guyan...Wasn't that Bill Campbell's home club? Is there a drop-shot par three of some renown?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #570 on: January 31, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »
Streamsong Blue
Isleworth CC
Southern Dunes GC
Mountain Lake CC
Acacia CC
Oakmont CC
Portage CC
Canterbury GC
Chagrin Valley CC
Kirtland CC

But the big thing about this list is I finally got a Raynor under my belt...I'm a changed man.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
Eastwood GC
Fort Myers CC
Streamsong Blue
Streamsong Red
Loggers Trail
Stillwater CC
Bandon Dunes
Old MacDonald
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Trails
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #572 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #573 on: February 07, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
Charlie,

Guyan...Wasn't that Bill Campbell's home club? Is there a drop-shot par three of some renown?

I do believe it was Bill Campbell's home club.  Very fun course to play.  I am not sure if the sixth is considered a drop shot par three but it is shortish (wedge to 8 iron) with a difficult green.  The next hole is a long par three 225-230ish.  I think it was built in the 1920-1930 time frame.

Campbell had a home off the 2nd hole at Guyan. No drop shot par threes. Mound/brow encircling the 17th reen perhaps the most noteworthy feature on the course.

Brian Finn

« Reply #574 on: April 25, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
On a boring conference call...been looking back at recent courses played and trying to plan the next bunch...here are my last 11...

Brookside G&CC (Columbus) - home game
The Golf Club
Barefoot - Fazio
Dunes Golf & Beach Club
Barefoot - Love
Duke University
Forest Creek South
CCNC - Dogwood
Dormie Club
Streamsong Red & Blue
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back