News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
Tony,

He didn't say they were slipping - he said his view of their respective merits had changed.

He used to think the Blue was better, now he favours the Red.

Damm blows my theory, I liked the Red best from my first visit!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »
Tony,

Yes, I'm a hard marker.  looking at the definitions of the Doak scale it strikes me that the vast majority of posters here are too generous.  A 4 is better than average, a 5 is a very good course.  You may be right about Balcomie, I tend to score courses I belong to lower than I might, to avoid accusations of bias.  Certainly when I played there on Sunday it was in great shape and playing well.  Not as F&F as ideal but it has been a wet summer.

In no way is either course at the Berkshire slipping in my estimation.  Those are good scores.  The Red (Scott's right, my preference between the two is changing) remains the best heathland course I have played.  Berkshire Red remains the 3rd best course I have played this year, behind two world top 10 courses.

p.s. I am well into double figures in plays on each of the Berkshire courses.  Plenty of opportunity to form a view.  Perhaps what is changing is what I look forward to in a golf course.  Whatever it is what isn't changing is how much I enjoy a day at the Berkshire.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:03:47 PM by Mark Pearce »

Donnie Beck

« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
Friars Head
Shenneocossett
CC of Farmington
The Bridge
Sugarloaf Mountain
Seminole
Hay Harbor
Fishers Island
Lake Of Isles
Shelter Harbor

erichunter

« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
Most recent first working back over the last 18 months (need to play more once the temperature retreats into the double digits here in TX).

Grey Rock (formerly Circle C) - Austin, TX - 3
Wolfdancer - Bastrop, TX - 3.5
Barton Creek (Palmer) - Austin, TX - 3.5
Austin Country Club - Austin, TX - 5
Blackwolf Run (Composite) - Kohler, WI - 7
Whistling Straits (Straits) - Kohler, WI - 7
Austin Golf Club - Austin, TX - 7.5
Sage Valley - Graniteville, SC - 7
Augusta National - Augusta, GA - 10
Palmetto - Aiken, SC - 7.5

Covering quite the spectrum in quality of course and quality of my play but always having fun.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
Eric...

You can't say you played Augusta National, rate it a 10, and not give us an entire thread on your experience.  Whether this was your first time or you play it often, I'd/we'd appreciate a thread on it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
WOW, what timing for this question!!!

The only unfortunate part is that I have to limit it to 10 as that wont hardly go back a week...

Royal Portrush  7/22/2011
The Machrie
Machrahanish
Turnberry
Prestwick
The Old Course
St. Andrews - Castle Course
Kingsbarns
Muirfield
Old Musselburgh 7/29/2011

I got a warm fuzzy feeling just thinking about it again.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

JNC Lyon

« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
Scott,

Yes, I'm afraid to say that over the past couple of years my views of the respective merits of the two courses at the Berkshire have changed a little.  Those scores might be a little harsh on the Blue.  Call them both a 7.

John,

I'd have to play Worplesdon again before being persuaded it deserved a higher score but I'd be surprised if I did.  I prefer to be a harsh scorer and I do feel Worpy struggles witha weak opening couple of holes.

I agree, the first two at Worplesdon are not thrillers, and I definitely don't know why everyone is enamored with number one.  However, 3 is an excellent par four, which makes great use of a centerline hazard and a tilted green.  4 is a neat uphill par three (one of three on the course), and 5 is an fantastic par four with a great diagonal tee shot and beautiful raised green.  6 is a short par five by modern standards, but that diabolical front-to-back green provides a great defense.  7 is a solid uphill par three with a wild green and interesting bunkering.  Those first seven holes are all quite good, though maybe not the quality of holes 10 through 14.  Worplesdon was, in my mind, a very solid layout, deserving of at least a 6, maybe a 7.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Brad Tufts

« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »

Takes me AAALLLLL the way back to July 1st  :)

Scores?  No, not your Doak's, your card scores ...

Indian Pond, MA...yesterday (76)
Tedesco, MA....lots of times (72-71-71-75-69-68-71-72-73)
Wyantenuck, MA...6 times in the Mass. Am. (68-78-71-71-72-74)
North Berwick, SCOT (71)
Muirfield, SCOT (72)
Royal Aberdeen, SCOT (70)
Peterhead, SCOT (69)
Cruden Bay, SCOT (74)
Royal Dornoch, SCOT (78)
Brora, SCOT (75)

Previous 10 would be Tain (74), Castle Stuart (73-72), The Old Course (72), The New Course (73), Lundin Links (67), Kingsbarns (78), Carnoustie (74), Eden Course (72), Castle Course (77), and Essex County Club (74).
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Deucie Bies

« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »
Lake Nona
Sand Hills
Barton Hills CC
Dearborn CC
Oakland Hills CC South
Wuskowhan Players Club
Olympia Fields North
Olympic Lake
LACC North
Chambers Bay

Ian Andrew

« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2011, 11:59:15 PM »
Since then
Maple Downs
Highlands Links
Copper Creek

Early May
Riverdale Dunes, (Denver)
Heritage at Westmoor
Doonbeg
Lahinch
Carne
Enniscrone
Sligo

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:24:10 AM by Ian Andrew »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
Most recent first and some repeat plays, but there's 10 in the list:

Bro-Bålsta GK (Swe.)
Concra Wood (Irl.)
Rosapenna - Sandy Hills (Irl.)
Dunfanaghy (Irl.)
Cloughaneely (Irl.)
Concra Wood (Irl.)
Bro-Bålsta GK (Swe.)
Sala GK (Swe.)
Wäsby GK (Swe.)
Kungsängen GK - Kings Course (Swe.)
Wäsby GK (Swe.)
Gweedore (Irl.)
Bro-Bålsta GK (Swe.)
Lindö GK (Swe.)

I'm not into rating courses, but what I have found with the above list, is that my impression of these courses has been more positive the second time around. I will post photo tours of many of these courses when I get a chance.

Ben Voelker

« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
My last 10 takes me back to beginning of May, in reverse chronological order.

Bent Tree Golf Course (Council Bluffs, IA)
Peninsula State Park Golf Course (Fish Creek, WI)
Bandon Dunes
Bandon Trails
Pacific Dunes
California Golf Club of San Francisco
Highlands Golf Course (Lincoln, NE)
Holmes Park Golf Course (Lincoln, NE)
Mahoney Golf Course (Lincoln, NE)
Bayside Golf Course (Ogalala, NE)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
Ian, Carne and Enniscrone worth the trip in the end?

Yes to Carne for the fun you'll have.
I was glad we went.

Enniscrone is a Top 100 in the World in my books.
Biggest suprise I've had in years

Jack_Marr

« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2011, 05:45:45 AM »

Concra Wood (Irl.)

I'm not into rating courses, but what I have found with the above list, is that my impression of these courses has been more positive the second time around. I will post photo tours of many of these courses when I get a chance.

Donal, what was Concra Wood like?
John Marr(inan)

Michael Taylor

« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2011, 06:56:57 AM »
New South Wales GC
Twin Creeks Golf Club
Eastlake Golf Club
Royal Sydney GC
Carnarvon GC
Concord GC
Fox Hills GC
Royal Queensland GC
New Brighton GC
Camden Lakeside GC

I play almost exclusively out of NSWGC, and apart from Royal Sydney, there is no real decent golf to be found in Sydney unfortunately.

Scott Warren

« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »
Except of course for The Lakes, MT, which shits all over Royal Sydney. I'd even suggest The Aus is a better course than R. Syd.

I played Royal again yesterday and I really think that aside from 1-3, 7 and 16 it's an pretty poor golf course. 4, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15 and 17 are truly woeful holes.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2011, 08:49:36 AM »
Some fun lists with great courses here.

With the good timing of this thread working to my advantage, here is the list (most recent first):

Portmarnock Golf Club
Spanish Point Golf Club
Lahinch Golf Club - The Old Course
Ballybunion Golf Club, Cashen Course
Ballybunion Golf Club, The Old Course
Dalmahoy, East Course
St. Andrews Links, Old Course
Crail Gofing Society, Balcomie Links
Kingarrock Golf Course
Charleton Golf Course
Crail Golfing Society, Craighead Links

That's 11, but included all to list our entire 14 day trip.

Cheers!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »

Concra Wood (Irl.)

Donal, what was Concra Wood like?

Jack,

I enjoyed playing Concra Wood. It's a solid layout, and one I would definitely play again. It was my first time playing a Christy O'Connor Jnr design. Although it is surrounded on three sides by Lake Muckno, the lake is only a feature on a handful of the holes; that's something that pleased me as I'm not a great fan of water hazards. The course was in very good condition and the greens, which were quite firm, were the smoothest rolling greens I've played in many years. I will start a photo tour of the course when time permits.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:01:27 PM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »

Charleton Golf Course

Cheers!

Kee-rist, Steve,
how in the freekin wide world of sports did charleton get itself onto your itinerary???
And WHAT did you make of it?
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
Last 10 I playedwith Doak Scale:

1) Rock Creek-  8
2) Shooting Star - 8
3) Huntsman Springs - 7
4) Gray's Crossing - 6
5) Southern Highlands - 7
6) Ballyneal -10
7) TPC Summerlin -6
8) Lake Las Vegas South Shore - 6
9) Galloway National - 7
10) Fishers Island - 10

Pete Balzer

« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2011, 10:01:13 PM »
Keystone Ranch
The Raven Three Peaks
Red sky- Norman
Prairie Club Dunes
Prairie Club Pines
Denver CC
Bayside
Rolling Hills CC
Keystone River Course
Red Sky- Fazio

Michael Taylor

« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2011, 05:02:37 AM »
Except of course for The Lakes, MT, which shits all over Royal Sydney. I'd even suggest The Aus is a better course than R. Syd.

I played Royal again yesterday and I really think that aside from 1-3, 7 and 16 it's an pretty poor golf course. 4, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15 and 17 are truly woeful holes.

Yes I forgot about The Lakes. I haven't played it for awhile now, and I'm keen to get back because the more I play it, the more I 'get' it. I already understand what The Aus and RS are all about. And I disagree that The Aus is a better course than Royal Sydney.

But what do you find to be wrong with those holes you mentioned (4,8,12,14 and 15)? I think 4 is a very good hole, because you have to keep it down the middle to right hand side of the fairway, and hit a solid 2nd over a massive bunker to a nice greensite. It's a brute of a hole and is well needed after the 3 easy holes to start.

8 is a nice drivable par 4. At 269m you need to be absolutely precise with the distance because of the dropoffs, and if you want to layup off the tee you need to steer clear of the bunkers on the right.

12 is by far the worst hole on the course. It desperately needs some tree clearing on the right hand side of the fairway.

What's wrong with 14? I know you'll say the par 3's are repetitive, which they are, but as individual holes I really like them all.

15 is just a straighaway par 4 bunkered both sides of the green, but I do like the internal contours.

17!? Are you serious? The green has 3 distinct sections and deep bunkering that really make you think about your tee shot. Coupled with a bailout area to the left I think it is a fantastic hole.

Scott Warren

« Reply #222 on: August 07, 2011, 06:51:25 AM »
Michael:

But what do you find to be wrong with those holes you mentioned (4,8,12,14 and 15)? I think 4 is a very good hole, because you have to keep it down the middle to right hand side of the fairway, and hit a solid 2nd over a massive bunker to a nice greensite. It's a brute of a hole and is well needed after the 3 easy holes to start.

As with a few holes at R. Syd , there are significant portions of the fairway where an approach is bloked out by trees. And as with a few holes at R. Syd, the greensite is entirely out of sync with the shot you're likely to be playing. It's grotesquely over-bunkered and the shapes around the green are unnaturally similar in shape.

8 is a nice drivable par 4. At 269m you need to be absolutely precise with the distance because of the dropoffs, and if you want to layup off the tee you need to steer clear of the bunkers on the right.

Hang on, it's a good hole because if you lay up off the tee, the best angle in is from the left, 30m away from the bunkers, which are placed down the right? That sums up Ross Watson to a tee. The bunkers look great but they serve no purpose whatsoever.

12 is by far the worst hole on the course. It desperately needs some tree clearing on the right hand side of the fairway.

Agreed, it's a pig of a hole.

What's wrong with 14? I know you'll say the par 3's are repetitive, which they are, but as individual holes I really like them all.

They are a repetitive set and the drop shot, bunker overload par three with a speed hump through the green isn't such a great hole that we need three of them in the space of 12 holes.

15 is just a straighaway par 4 bunkered both sides of the green, but I do like the internal contours.

Narrow corridor choked by trees, meaning it's a case of hitting the green or pitching out sideways. Then the green is bunkered both sides and the choice line in is from the dead centre of the fairway.

17!? Are you serious? The green has 3 distinct sections and deep bunkering that really make you think about your tee shot. Coupled with a bailout area to the left I think it is a fantastic hole.

The green has about seven distinct sections, there's a deep bunker right and a steep drop away to the left. And even a good player has a long iron or hybrid in their hand.

This is a prime example of Royal Sydney's greens being designed with seemingly no regard for the shot/club likely to be used for the approach and as with the back nine at Bonnie Doon and his work at Concord, Watson has built a heap of greens with bunkering on one side and shaping on the other that funnels the ball away from the green. It's formulaic and boring.

And the internal shaping goes to show that all wild greens aren't created equal. The individual segments are IMO too small for there to be a reasonable shot at hitting the same segment as the pin - more disconnect between the hole at large and the green design.

Finally, the routing is lacking, with all the good land used in the first nine holes, with minimal changes of direction and a flat, narrow up-and-back deathmarch from there on in.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #223 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »
Hey Mr. FBD,

You made me laugh with that one. The proprieter of our first inn wanted to play with us and lined that up. We had planned on playing Anstruther that day since Balcomie Links was filled up with a tournament, but went with the flow. On the positive side, Charleton had some nice views and low visitor fees.

Links Golf juju came around and made up for this when in Dublin our play with a local ended up having us as guests at Portmarnock. What an absolutely brilliant day that was.

By the way, I read many of your posts when preparing or this this trip. Thank you very much.

steve

Charleton Golf Course

Cheers!

Kee-rist, Steve,
how in the freekin wide world of sports did charleton get itself onto your itinerary???
And WHAT did you make of it?
FBD.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
I don't know what made me think of this thread, but I did and I thought I'd update my last ten played list...

Rivermont
Barnsley Gardens The General
University of Kentucky Club Big Blue
The Phoenix Golf Links in Columbus, OH
Olde Stone in Lexington
East Lake
Bandon Dunes
Old Mac
Pac Dunes
Bandon Trails
and on that Bandon Trip I hit Eugene CC (my 11th last played course)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back