News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

GLawson

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1200 on: July 11, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
How did you like CC Rochester?  It's one of my all time favorites.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #1201 on: July 13, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
CCR was my home course growing up.  Love the renovations they have done in the last five or six years.  What a great course that was.  Wish I had appreciated it more as a boy.

The Golf Club
Baltusrol Lower
Baltusrol Upper
Plainfield
Westchester
Quaker Ridge
CC Rochester
CC Buffalo
Shaker Heights
Black Sheep

Jim Tang

« Reply #1202 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
Phillips Park
White Tail Ridge
Victoria National
Inverness
Orchard Valley
Black Sheep
Blue Mound
Whistling Straits - Irish
Doral
Kiawah - Ocean Course

Sean_A

« Reply #1203 on: July 13, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »
From now on I'm reading Sean Arble's posts even more closely.

Nevermind about links, 7-9 is a terrific stretch of holes. :)

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:11:00 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Little

« Reply #1204 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:13 AM »
As a newbie, I figured this would be a safe entry point. Not as impressive as my peers.

1. Rustic Canyon (Best public golf in America for the money...$25 after 2:30, $15 after 4:30)
2. Torrey Pines (South)
3. Torrey Pines (North)
4. Moorpark CC
5. Primm Valley (Lake)
6. Primm Valley (Desert)
7. Sandpiper GC
8. Tower Ranch
9. Tobiano
10. Gallaghers Canyon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:22:52 AM by Scott Little »

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #1205 on: July 14, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »
Sean: do you think 7-9 at Formby are great holes?

I've played there a few times now.  I like the course more and more except for those holes.

@Pure_Golf

Jim Franklin

« Reply #1206 on: July 14, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
Grizzly Ranch
Clear Creek
Lahontan
Martis Camp
Indian Creek
Gulph Mills
Bellerive
BCC (east)
Austin GC
Royal Links
Mr Hurricane

Sean_A

« Reply #1207 on: July 14, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
Sean: do you think 7-9 at Formby are great holes?

I've played there a few times now.  I like the course more and more except for those holes.

Whats not to like about 7-9?  I especially like #8...a rarity for me to like a par 5. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #1208 on: July 15, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
I don't like the long grass grown across the fairway on the 8th. If there was no notion of 'par' this area would be fairway and the hole would be better.

You play these holes and all of a sudden the course is trying to be something it isn't. Narrow fairways, bigger undulations, two elevated greens etc. 

@Pure_Golf

Ash Towe

« Reply #1209 on: July 15, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »
The Berkshire Red
Crudeness Bay
Royal Aberdeen
Trump Aberdeen
Royal Dornoch twice
Castle Stuart twice
St Enodoc twice

Long flight home to come.

Kevin Markham

« Reply #1210 on: July 18, 2015, 03:54:32 AM »
The Berkshire Red
Crudeness Bay
Royal Aberdeen
Trump Aberdeen
Royal Dornoch twice
Castle Stuart twice
St Enodoc twice

Long flight home to come.

Ash, I suspect you have 'autocorrect' doing overtime on your PC... 'Crudeness Bay' I have the same problem, except mine came out as Crude Bay (and Fota Island comes outs Foot Island). How many golfers have driven past Cruden Bay thinking: 'no, I'm looking for a different course'?

Last 10

1. Royal Aberdeen
2. Murcar Links
3. Cruden Bay
4. Tralee
5. Fota Island
6. County Sligo
7. Enniscrone
8. Carne
9. Portmarnock
10. Greystones (my home club, and the home of a certain amateur by the name of Paul Dunne)

Ash Towe

« Reply #1211 on: July 18, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »
Kevin,

You are absolutely right about the auto correct.

Likewise with driving past Cruden Bay.  However, it is a great experience to play there. The manager does everything he can to make it a memorable experience.

Bob Montle

« Reply #1212 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »
Another newbie here - second posting.
My last ten in order with most recent on the bottom are:

Lakewood golf course

Crail Balcomie

The Himalayas (St Andrews)

Ladybank

The New Course *

Fraserburgh *

Brora

The Machrie

Machrihanish *

T.O.C.

N. Berwick (west) *

River Oaks

Twin Oaks

* = Tied for my second favorite.

Brora might have been asterisked also, but we played in 30 mph winds, drizzle and 50 mph gusts.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Jud_T

« Reply #1213 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
Nine so far this year:

Barton Hills- 7  Surprisingly good track with some old school Ross and fairly severe elevations.  The fact that a stick like Saltzman and a hack like me can both rave about it speaks volumes.  Between this, the U of M course and Zingerman's a man could be pretty happy camping out in A squared for quite a while.  The greens had some difficulty over the winter but that hardly detracted from the pleasant surprise.

Olympia Fields South- 5 1/2  Finally got to see O'Fields "weaker" sister as part of the Chicago Golf Historical Society event (which included a great presentation on the club's very interesting history).  A fairly stern test in and of itself and probably my new favorite Bendelow, which however isn't saying much.  A great club with 2 really good courses is something you don't see every day.  The presence of the creek on 11 holes would be enough to lead me to strong drink even sooner than usual if I were a member though.

Kingsley Club- 8  If you haven't been there yet, what the hell are you waiting for?  New cottage is open, new look on #4, most underrated living GCA on the planet and the best turf this side of the Atlantic...

Streamsong Red- 6  A bit too many blind and penal holes for my taste, particularly for a resort course.  Sticks will like it better.  Not sure of the lineage but it seems like Bill may have been a bit too generous in negotiating the routing with Tom here.  As said elsewhere the place is very pricey and corporate in feel, but it's easily the best golf I've played in Florida, though I haven't seen Indianwood or Seminole.  There are a couple of great short 4's as you'd expect from this duo.

Streamsong Blue- 7 Unsurprisingly I preferred the Doak course given that he designs so the stern test is at the green and hacks like me with a half way decent short game can bunt it around and have fun.  Classic anecdote- I was playing as a single and another local single caught up to me as I was waiting on the group in front.  He wasn't happy as he hit it pretty well and wasn't scoring.  His quote was "whoever designed these greens is an a**hole".  8)   I was cartballing it in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity so I wasn't as bothered about the routing for walking as JC was.  My caddie was shocked at my ability to chip with a 4-wood.  As a result I surmised that the majority of the guests haven't played much F&F golf...

Lost Dunes- 6 1/2  Would be a 7 if they ever maintained it as it was designed to play.  Always seems a bit too green and soft for a sandy site.  A great job with a difficult property, but there's no getting around the highway and the disjointed walk with several shuttles included.  Love that 4th green though...

Dunes Club- 7 Great track, great club, ideal clubhouse.  Those 2 trees on 8 have gotta go though.  Get on that Judge...

Beverly CC- 6  Just once I'd like to play here when it hasn't poured the day before.  The best club in Chicago by a fairly wide margin if not the best course (that would be Shoreacres).  If they weren't intent on being a Championship track, lost a couple hundred more trees and hacked the rough down a bit it'd be even better and more fun.  Some really good greens that have stood the test of time.

Spring Valley CC- 5  If this place were private, had the intended bunkering and was in tip top condition people here would be soiling their jockeys to get on.  Best golf value I've ever seen for $18 all day walking rate, period.  Next year we need to organize a 54 hole outing on the summer solstice.  Yes youngsters, Langford is indeed the man...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:11:13 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1214 on: July 21, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
Tigerman,

Just because you believe that Kingsley is a 9 you shouldn't punish the other courses you play.  The Dunes Club is at least an 8 by every definition of the word.  It is a life changing experience for every golfer whose eyes are too big for his britches.

Look, I get it, you can't win including your home course in this type of evaluation.  If Kingsley wasn't in your last 10 it would be news.  Embrace your love of the course, don't run from it.

Jud_T

« Reply #1215 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
Tigerman,

Just because you believe that Kingsley is a 9 you shouldn't punish the other courses you play.  The Dunes Club is at least an 8 by every definition of the word.  It is a life changing experience for every golfer whose eyes are too big for his britches.

Look, I get it, you can't win including your home course in this type of evaluation.  If Kingsley wasn't in your last 10 it would be news.  Embrace your love of the course, don't run from it.

I don't go in for grade inflation John.  Kingsley's an 8 and Dunes is a 7.  For sticks who want a test and for what the club offers DC is a home run for the niche market it serves.  Also historically interesting in the learning curve of MK.  The clubhouse is however a 10....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:08:57 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1216 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »
Sticks?!? Another insulting code word. Damnit, you pulled a Moriarty and added a course late giving Olympia Fields a 5.  If I had seen that idiocy I wouldn't have even responded.  I get it, you don't like "golf".

Jud_T

« Reply #1217 on: July 21, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »
Like most you're too caught up in the numbers to read the write up...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:23:38 PM by Jud_T »

C. Sturges

« Reply #1218 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
Mr. Kavanaugh and others,

What is so great about the Dunes Club that it should be rated an 7/8 or higher?  Are we just so excited to play an extremely private 9 hole course that most people think it is so amazing? 

Thank you in advance,
chris

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #1219 on: July 21, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »
Hoping to get a little more variety in the next couple months.  Here are the last 10:

Olympia Fields South
Medinah #1
Butler National
Olympia Fields North
Medinah #3
Medinah #2
Beverly Country Club
Trophy Club
Blackwolf Run - River
Whistling Straights

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #1220 on: July 21, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »
Nine so far this year:

Barton Hills- 7  Surprisingly good track with some old school Ross and fairly severe elevations.  The fact that a stick like Saltzman and a hack like me can both rave about it speaks volumes.  Between this, the U of M course and Zingerman's a man could be pretty happy camping out in A squared for quite a while.  The greens had some difficulty over the winter but that hardly detracted from the pleasant surprise.

Olympia Fields South- 5 1/2  Finally got to see O'Fields "weaker" sister as part of the Chicago Golf Historical Society event (which included a great presentation on the club's very interesting history).  A fairly stern test in and of itself and probably my new favorite Bendelow, which however isn't saying much.  A great club with 2 really good courses is something you don't see every day.  The presence of the creek on 11 holes would be enough to lead me to strong drink even sooner than usual if I were a member though.

Kingsley Club- 8  If you haven't been there yet, what the hell are you waiting for?  New cottage is open, new look on #4, most underrated living GCA on the planet and the best turf this side of the Atlantic...

Streamsong Red- 6  A bit too many blind and penal holes for my taste, particularly for a resort course.  Sticks will like it better.  Not sure of the lineage but it seems like Bill may have been a bit too generous in negotiating the routing with Tom here.  As said elsewhere the place is very pricey and corporate in feel, but it's easily the best golf I've played in Florida, though I haven't seen Indianwood or Seminole.  There are a couple of great short 4's as you'd expect from this duo.

Streamsong Blue- 7 Unsurprisingly I preferred the Doak course given that he designs so the stern test is at the green and hacks like me with a half way decent short game can bunt it around and have fun.  Classic anecdote- I was playing as a single and another local single caught up to me as I was waiting on the group in front.  He wasn't happy as he hit it pretty well and wasn't scoring.  His quote was "whoever designed these greens is an a**hole".  8)   I was cartballing it in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity so I wasn't as bothered about the routing for walking as JC was.  My caddie was shocked at my ability to chip with a 4-wood.  As a result I surmised that the majority of the guests haven't played much F&F golf...

Lost Dunes- 6 1/2  Would be a 7 if they ever maintained it as it was designed to play.  Always seems a bit too green and soft for a sandy site.  A great job with a difficult property, but there's no getting around the highway and the disjointed walk with several shuttles included.  Love that 4th green though...

Dunes Club- 7 Great track, great club, ideal clubhouse.  Those 2 trees on 8 have gotta go though.  Get on that Judge...

Beverly CC- 6  Just once I'd like to play here when it hasn't poured the day before.  The best club in Chicago by a fairly wide margin if not the best course (that would be Shoreacres).  If they weren't intent on being a Championship track, lost a couple hundred more trees and hacked the rough down a bit it'd be even better and more fun.  Some really good greens that have stood the test of time.

Spring Valley CC- 5  If this place were private, had the intended bunkering and was in tip top condition people here would be soiling their jockeys to get on.  Best golf value I've ever seen for $18 all day walking rate, period.  Next year we need to organize a 54 hole outing on the summer solstice.  Yes youngsters, Langford is indeed the man...
Jud,
Would you care to elaborate on OFCC- South, Beverly and Lost Dunes?  I have played these courses and am wondering how you evaluated them and came to these rankings?

Sean Ogle

« Reply #1221 on: July 21, 2015, 02:11:45 PM »
This past month has been one of my better golf months in recent memory. Here are my last 10.

This is also my very first post, so very excited to be a part of the community!

Riverside Golf and Country Club
Cal Club
Pebble Beach
Spyglass Hill
Half Moon Bay Ocean
Half Moon Bay Old
Pasatiempo
Plainfield
Maidstone
Atlantic

JStewart

« Reply #1222 on: July 21, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
This past month has been one of my better golf months in recent memory. Here are my last 10.

This is also my very first post, so very excited to be a part of the community!

Riverside Golf and Country Club
Cal Club
Pebble Beach
Spyglass Hill
Half Moon Bay Ocean
Half Moon Bay Old
Pasatiempo
Plainfield
Maidstone
Atlantic

Welcome. And nice little run you're on there. HMB Ocean is an amazing property. It's too bad they let Arthur Hills have at it. Could have been a truly special golf experience.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #1223 on: July 21, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »
Mr. Kavanaugh and others,

What is so great about the Dunes Club that it should be rated an 7/8 or higher?  Are we just so excited to play an extremely private 9 hole course that most people think it is so amazing? 

Thank you in advance,
chris

I've been a member for a while, and I think 6.5/7 is quite fair.  First off, it's only nine holes.  Sure, you can play different tees and you usually play to different hole locations on your second nine, but it's only nine holes.  For this reason, I don't really rate it at all, because the competition has nine more holes than Dunes does.  There are some really good holes, there are some really stupid trees and there have been some excellent re-do's over the past six or so years.  Keiser is very good at being open-minded about changing the place up, probably since it was a bit of an experiment from the beginning.  The thing that sets the Dunes Club apart from other clubs, in my humble opinion, is a combination of the setting, the Pine Valley look and the walking-only culture.  If you combine that with the fact that the pro cooks your burger and the clubhouse is the size of the Olympia Fields halfway house, you have a pretty special vibe on a special piece of land with a lot of great golf, without any pretense whatsoever.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #1224 on: July 21, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »
Terry,

How many 8's are in Chicagoland?  If we agree on three I have the Dunes in the group. Sure it's nine holes but don't discount the benefits of fewer holes and members.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back