News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

Re: Your Last Ten
« Reply #1175 on: June 25, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »
Just finished up June's golf coast-to-coast golf adventuring.  I need a nap...

The Country Club at Brookline
Boston Golf Club
Old Sandwich
Essex County Club
Pasatiempo
The Fort
Hyde Park G&CC
Camargo Club
The Donald Ross Course at French Lick
Harrison Hills G&CC

Jason,

Was this your first visit to the Ross at French Lick? What did you think?

Jason Way

« Reply #1176 on: June 25, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »

Was this your first visit to the Ross at French Lick? What did you think?

Short answer is that I loved it.  It was one stunning view after another and the greens were awesomely creative.  My only disappointment is that it has been so wet down there lately that the course didn't really play as intended (The Fort and Harrison Hills were also soggy).

As was the case with Essex County and Hyde Park, Donald Ross's courses just look and feel right to me, and so I enjoy every one that I play.

I'm compiling my photos and thoughts from the trip and will post them up here and on my blog shortly. 
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Matthew Sander

« Reply #1177 on: June 25, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Jason,

Thanks for the follow up.

When I visited, I couldn't help but think of how difficult that course must have been in its infancy. I really enjoyed it though. It would be tough to find a better, more varied set of greens.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #1178 on: June 29, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »
Here's my last 10:
Point Judith
Agawam Hunt
CC of Troy
Glens Falls
Kent
Flossmoor
Kingsley
Ekwanok
Hyannisport
Old American

Favorite was Ekwanok--such a great setting for a golf course.  Hyannisport was a nice surprise--it plays like a true links.  Glens Falls and Troy are great gems

Tim Martin

« Reply #1179 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Here's my last 10:
Point Judith
Agawam Hunt
CC of Troy
Glens Falls
Kent
Flossmoor
Kingsley
Ekwanok
Hyannisport
Old American

Favorite was Ekwanok--such a great setting for a golf course.  Hyannisport was a nice surprise--it plays like a true links.  Glens Falls and Troy are great gems
Eqwanok and CC of Troy are both fantastic examples of Travis's work. CC of Troy is a pretty challenging site and yet Travis routed a beauty. As far as a Glens Falls I was awed by what Ross presented and have to say that if not underrated then most certainly under the radar. Point Judith started with two good holes but left me with a feeling that the land was sort of blah and there are a couple of holes early on the inward nine that are a bit shoved in. With such a strong showing for Ross in tiny golf rich RI I don't think Point Judith is top tier.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #1180 on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:19 AM »
Totally agree.  Ekwanok and Troy were my first two Travis courses and I'm looking forward to at least getting to Cape Arundel this year now.  Point Judith is a fine club with really nice grass tennis courts...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #1181 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
Dismal Doak
Dismal Nicklaus
Prairie Dunes
Blackwell
Woodlands CC Palmer
Walden
Northgate
Cypresswood Cypress
Willow Creek
Deerwood

J_ Crisham

« Reply #1182 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:33 PM »
The Dunes Club - It's an 8 and getting better each year with the tree removal. Golf in the purest form.
OFCC North - 8  It should host another Open, sadly it doesn't receive the respect it deserves.
Beverly- No rating due to the fact it's home. I do believe if we took out another 200 trees we improve dramatically.
Old Elm- 8 plus- May be the best track now in Chicago? Greens and bunkering are simply outstanding.
Inverness- 9 . The ultimate tournament venue with perhaps the most ingenious use of ridgelines and valleys in the US
Canterbury- 7  Terrific member track that has not a single bad hole- some amazing golf memorabilia as well.
The Golf Club -9  Arguably Dye's best. Amazing conditioning.
The Hideout- 7  Very well done course on flattish ground- has a Carolina feel to it. Outstanding greens.
Naples National- 8  One of Hurdzan/Frys best designs- very meticulous conditioning.
Calusa Pines- 9  Is it the best course in Florida? Certainly the best in SW FL

Jason Way

« Reply #1183 on: June 30, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »

Old Elm- 8 plus- May be the best track now in Chicago? Greens and bunkering are simply outstanding.

I love hearing this. Can't wait to get out again this year.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Sam Morrow

« Reply #1184 on: June 30, 2015, 11:17:01 PM »
Here's my last 10:
Point Judith
Agawam Hunt
CC of Troy
Glens Falls
Kent
Flossmoor
Kingsley
Ekwanok
Hyannisport
Old American

How did you like Old American?

Chris DeToro

« Reply #1185 on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:33 AM »
Old American has so much potential to me.  I played it in March before the flooding in Dallas, and I don't know if it's still growing in, but it was so fast and firm that the ball just did not stop running until it found a hazard of sorts be it long grass, bunker or water. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #1186 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
Old American has so much potential to me.  I played it in March before the flooding in Dallas, and I don't know if it's still growing in, but it was so fast and firm that the ball just did not stop running until it found a hazard of sorts be it long grass, bunker or water.

It's been very firm and fast everytime I've played it. I love the place.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #1187 on: July 01, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »
I think it's likely a place that would grow on me after a couple plays.  I played it immediately after landing in DFW on a work trip and my game made it a struggle.  But there are some solid holes and I enjoyed the overall vibe of the club

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #1188 on: July 08, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
Minneapolis Golf Club
North Oaks
Oak Ridge
Northland
Bemidji Town & Country
Minnesota Valley
Erin Hills
Southview
Hazeltine
Midland Hills
Stillwater (home course)

Bemidji T&C was a very pleasant surprise -- so much fun to play, great shape, beautiful wooded setting on the edge of a lake, great use of elevation changes and excellent new bunkers put in last year by Kevin Norby. It's a long haul from the Twin Cities, but I highly recommend it.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom_Doak

« Reply #1189 on: July 08, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Updated:

Cabot Cliffs (x2)
Cabot Links
Garden City Golf Club
Port Royal
Turtle Hill, Bermuda
Mid Ocean
Calgary G & CC
Banff Springs
Jasper Park
Karsten Creek

Eight out of ten were first-time visits!  And for once, I'm glad that everyone stopped putting Doak Scale ratings beside their list, so I can take a little time to weigh the relative merits of these.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #1190 on: July 08, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »
Strangely, I think Tom's mention above is the first time I've seen him or anyone else on this board use the term "relative merits". Now, that can't be, can it? I mean, it would be impossible that no one here ever used a term so appropriate to the rating/ranking process and discussions -- and yet, I honestly don't remember ever seeing it before. Hmm - relative merits. Very interesting....

Peter

Sam Morrow

« Reply #1191 on: July 08, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
1. Walden on Lake Conroe
2. Dismal Red
3. Dismal White
4. Prairie Dunes
5. Blackwell
6. The Woodlands CC Palmer
7. Northgate
8. Cypresswood Cypress
9. Deerwood
10. Willow Creek

Garrett McKnight

« Reply #1192 on: July 09, 2015, 01:46:37 AM »
Not sure mine will get any better from the most recent first.

Phoenix CC
Ambiante - Camelback
Papago
N. Berwick
Muirfield
Cruden Bay
Murcar
Royal Aberdeen
Nairn
Royal Dornoch

Sean_A

« Reply #1193 on: July 09, 2015, 02:03:28 AM »

Practically covering the north-south spread of the UK!

Kington  6
Prestwick  8
Dundonald   6
Western Gailes  6 
Little Aston  7
St Georges Hill  8
Burnham x2  7
Castle Stuart  8

Ciao

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:13:08 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim Nugent

« Reply #1194 on: July 09, 2015, 03:09:47 AM »
Sean, what Doak grade do you give Trump Aberdeen? 

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #1195 on: July 10, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »
I'll make a run at it: 

Trophy Club of Atlanta (GA)
Lookout Mountain (TN)
Holston Hills (TN)
The Honors Course (TN)
East Lake (GA)
Cherokee North (GA) (several times)
Cherokee South (GA) (several times)
Innisbrook Copperhead (FL)
TPC Tampa Bay (FL)
World Wood (Pine Barrens)

Sean_A

« Reply #1196 on: July 11, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »
Sean, what Doak grade do you give Trump Aberdeen?

Its not my bag, but I still give TA a 7. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #1197 on: July 11, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
Damn, still have NOT played 10 courses this year and only 4 new ones:

1.  Fort Myers CC (FL)
2. Heartland Crossing GC (IN)
3. Stoneridge GC (OH)
4.  Plum Creek GC (IN)
5.  Blue Ash GC (OH)
6. Lassing Pointe GC (KY)
7. UK Big Blue (KY)

Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #1198 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »
In Heathrow about to endure the long flights home. [size=78%]Just finished 10 more courses since my last post.  [/size]

New Zealand Club: Peaceful, love the heather. 
Royal Porthcawl: Surprised me as it has real character. For some reason I thought it was flat and boring... Which it certainly isn't. 
Pennard: Incredible. From now on I'm reading Sean Arble's posts even more closely.  Pennard is one of the top 10 courses in the UK.
Tenby: Great natural shapes and scale through the main paddock.  5th hole going across the property was super cool.
Aberdovey: Starts with some nice holes and then flattens out a bit around the turn. Well bunkered with natural well contoured greens.
Royal St David's: Very flat and prescriptive front nine (except some nice green contour) then back nine gets better and better.
Nefyn: Views are out of this world. 
Formby: Holes 7-9 sour what could be a great links course. 
Delamere Forest: Some sound changes being implemented since my last visit.  A nice club too.
St Andrews: Enough said!

6 new courses visited and all very worthwhile.  Thanks for all the suggestions.         

@Pure_Golf

PThomas

« Reply #1199 on: July 11, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »
The Golf Club
Baltusrol Lower
Baltusrol Upper
Plainfield
Westchester
Quaker Ridge
CC Rochester
CC Buffalo
Shaker Heights
Black Sheep
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back