News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Jack Nicklaus Golf Club Korea, Incheon, South Korea
« on: April 30, 2023, 10:54:07 AM »
Just watched highlights of the final round of the most recent DT World Tour comp played at the above. Question: what is wrong with this course ?

Niall

Tom_Doak

Re: Jack Nicklaus Golf Club Korea, Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 05:45:36 PM »
There's nothing wrong with it, it's a very good course, especially if you like a challenge.

By the same token, it didn't seem like a course you would travel to see.  It was a flat piece of ground and it's totally manufactured, so it could be anywhere.  But Seoul has plenty of over-hyped courses, and this one is better than those.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 07:06:47 PM »
We’re the boulders lining the water hazards indigenous to the site or imported?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 07:48:22 PM »
We’re the boulders lining the water hazards indigenous to the site or imported?

I think that whole area is landfill, so the boulders must be imported.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 08:05:57 PM »
I have no familiarity with the course beyond TV, so grain of salt, etc. If there's an answer to your questions, maybe it's that it feels like all stuff we've seen before on other Nicklaus courses? Which is understandable, since he's designed several hundred courses.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 04:12:11 AM »
All

Thanks for your comments. My OP was an attempt to maybe challenge peoples prejudices about Jack Nicklaus's designs but appears I was wrong and no-one has any  ;D

Yes the rocks look a bit blingy and there is a lot of water but in both instances that might just be a function of the site. But as I say I only saw the highlights and mostly the second nine holes but from what I saw it looks a lot of fun. Lots of movement on and off the greens. Lots to like from what I could see,

Niall

[size=78%] [/size]

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 09:48:12 AM »
Niall

I agree with you that the course looked like it would be an enjoyable play based on watching tv. On Thursday I was waiting at a car dealership's service bay and it was on the tv with no volume. It was interesting enough that I looked up what the course was. Definitely had a manufactured look and had absorbed the more modern aesthetics of uneven unkempt bunker edges and "native" grasses off of the fairways. Very good looking course that I would be happy to play - but didn't look like it was breaking any new ground. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back