News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Old White question
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »
I guess this is a part Old White question and a part state of the game question.

I've watched a good bit this weekend and the golf course looks pretty good. Seems as if there are some interesting holes, cool green complexes and and plenty of fun out there.

So just for kicks, I went to the Greenbrier website and looked at rates.

For resort guests, it's $325 during the summer. For non-resort guests, it's $385. Both require a forecaddy for an additional fee.

Is it that good?

Mark Johnson

Re: Old White question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
couple things Jeff.

1) it is not even the best/toughest course on the property.   The Snead Course (which is technically private) but most resort guests can get on is a much better course.   It is in great shape, but it is very "resorty" wide fairways, short rough.   A couple great holes; i really like the short Redan par 4 on the back.

2) When you go to the Greenbrier, you are usually signing up for a package which can include golf or spa packages;    I doubt very many resort guests are paying the rack rate.

3)  What I think you are really asking... if i had $300 to spend on a round of golf in the mid-atlantic, I can name 5 places I would play first, many of whom have better spas.   Greenbrier is often compared to the Homestead and in my opinion, unless you really like skeet shooting, then choice isnt close.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
If it's $385 to play it now, that means the rate has increased by about $200 since the tournament moved there.  Wow.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »
Jeff,

I really like the Old White and think students of golf architecture should see it, but other than saying it is too bad the cost to play it has gotten so high, I don't know how to answer the money question.

Sampling golf architecture requires a few thing: time, money and a wllingness to travel. Most people have to set priorities, so aside from your bank account it depends on what you have seen and what you most want to see.
Tim Weiman

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
Jeff:

Based on what you've seen, how much should the course cost to play?

WW

Steve Wilson

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
I am actually surprised that the rate for non-resort guests is so low.  I was there in 1989 and the course was open to the public for a mere $250.   I would think that keeping up with inflation would have raised the rate to nearly $500.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »

I don't know what it should cost to play there. I certainly didn't think it was going to be a $50 value course, but I was surprised by the rack rate.

It is more than $100 more than the highest price at Bandon Dunes. It's about the same price as Whistling Straights.

I guess I would have thought it would have been in the $200-250 range.

While this is from a year ago, here's a Golf mag list of top publics in the US that includes the price range. There are a lot of really good golf courses you could play two (or even three) times for the price of one round at Old White.

http://tinyurl.com/3nch4wa

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
The days of over $200.00 golf should be over.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »

+1

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »

World Conflict and World Hunger should be over!   ;)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 11:40:02 PM »

World Conflict and World Hunger should be over!   ;)

Those have going on since the beginning of time, we need to focus our efforts on more important things, like golf.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:56:19 AM »
We were at Equinox in Vermont over July 4th, and it seems like a smaller but comparable resort to Greenbrier. I am sure the course is not as good as the Travis greens are gone at Equinox, but I like it and $125 was the max rate. You had to try pretty hard (Sat morning) to pay that rate, and in New England tradition, you could walk with bag or buggy and also take a cart.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back