News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re: The All-Uphill 18
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »

Hard to believe 44 posts without a mention of Pasatiempo ...

#3 ...

#11 ...

Shame on all of you ...

Good Call, Mike. These were two holes that sprang to mind right away.

I'd throw in #3 at LACC North, #15 at Valley Club, #5 at The Creek Club and probably not "very uphill", #5 at CPC.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matt MacIver

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
#16 at Black Mesa (not wide enough for a player like me, even though it probably is)

#14 at Turnberry (straight, long and into the wind; #1 handicap?)

#4 BP Black

#10 Devil’s Paintbrush

#1 at Gleneagles-Kings (flat drive but elevated green)

#4 Tot Hill Farm (flat drive, elevated green)

#9 Musgrove Mill (flat drive, elevated green); #17 (par 3)

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
I'll nominate the 9th at Allegheny.

Is this Allegheny in Pittsburgh? I can't tell from the pix, because I haven't spent much time there. Thanks in advance for answering.

-----

It is George.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
Interesting Kyle.  Ross built four uphill par threes at Mark Twain, one of his later courses, in 1937.  A couple of them have a similar feel to Schuylkill's 16th.  Either way, that's a great par three.

The original 9-hole course at Schuylkill included the 16th. The Willie Park designed second at Glen Ridge is a very similar hole.

Great Par 3, for sure, though.

Kyle,

Hole 16 is very similar to other Volcano'ish par 3's that are seen on some other Ross courses.  Do you think the hole had the same characteristics and overall look before Ross came in?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Kyle Harris

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
Interesting Kyle.  Ross built four uphill par threes at Mark Twain, one of his later courses, in 1937.  A couple of them have a similar feel to Schuylkill's 16th.  Either way, that's a great par three.

The original 9-hole course at Schuylkill included the 16th. The Willie Park designed second at Glen Ridge is a very similar hole.

Great Par 3, for sure, though.

Kyle,

Hole 16 is very similar to other Volcano'ish par 3's that are seen on some other Ross courses.  Do you think the hole had the same characteristics and overall look before Ross came in?

Mark

Yes. Check the aerial of the 9-hole course in the clubhouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back