News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re: Harbourtowne
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Kalen,
I can think of a lot of courses that pose tougher challenges for the higher handicap than Harbour Town. As as been kind of mentioned already, the trees pose a different kind of challenge. Yes, its tough to stay between them, but its tough to get all that deep into those forests without the ball hitting a tree and the pine needles make it easy to find the ball. There's a fair amount of water too, but no worse than a number of other top courses.

The corridors are narrow, but its because of the trees, not necessarily in addition to them. I prefer this type of narrow to one that looks wide open but has nasty heather/gorse/lost ball stuff on both sides. I prefer it to a number of narrowish desert courses that don't offer much chance at recovery.

I don't love the course as much as some of Dye's other courses, but its certainly unique. Its not as strategic as many of the greats--many of the shots are dictated to a point. It requires creativity to play well--there is something to be said for that.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I suppose in a Tom Paul big world theory, I can see its value and why its appealing to some.  But as for me, I couldn't see myself playing it even if I was in the area, much less forking over the $200 in green fees.

If I want to torture myself on a golf course, I'll just stay here locally and play Idaho Club for a lot less money!!  ;D

Andy Troeger

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
Kalen,
You'd shoot 15 strokes better at Harbour Town than you do at Idaho Club...minimum. I have no clue what I would have shot at Idaho Club since I stopped counting on about the 5th tee, but you know I'm not straight and I managed a mid-80's round at Harbour Town. Its challenging, but not overly penal.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »
Agree with the last few comments, I spray it all over but didn't lose one ball OOB at HT.  The recovery shots around the trees were great fun because they've pruned the branches such that you almost always have a full swing, so the low runner/ground game has to be in your thoughts.  All the 3s are harder bc of the water, and I sort of wish that wasn't so. 

I would very much enjoy playing this course every day (on YOUR nickle); I will probably NOT pay my own $200+ to play it again.  For some reason it just doesn't look or feel like a top course, yet the strategy is definitely there.  Maybe not enough eye candy....

David Cronheim

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
I agree with the comments that the HT proves a sterner challenge for a low-handicapper than a high. I played HT 2 summers ago with my fiance and she thought it was easy. She didn't hit it far enough off line to get into the trees all that often. I on the other hand, as someone who likes to hit a big, high draw thought the course was a living nightmare. I kept rattling balls off the right hand trees before they could turn over and come back into the fairway. There is some real beauty in a course that proves a challenge for better players from the tips, but remains very fair (borderline "easy") for lesser players from forward tees.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
Not overly penal??  I am trying to figure out how the pro from our club shot a 79 there last Saturday. There must be some penalty for missing the fairwyas  and those neat little greens.

Played it twice and loved the entire setup, easily one of my all time favorites.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
Not overly penal??  I am trying to figure out how the pro from our club shot a 79 there last Saturday. There must be some penalty for missing the fairwyas  and those neat little greens.

Played it twice and loved the entire setup, easily one of my all time favorites.

ed

Not penal doesn't mean you can't shoot a big number. But there's a big difference between a ball lost in high grass or water vs. someone who hits in the trees and just can't recover.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
Matt,
I do see your point, it does bring out the best in a recovery game. or show you where improvement must be made. I guess drive and gouge does not always work.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back