News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Re: Kevin Kisner Plays Final Round In Two And A Half Hours
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2021, 08:41:57 AM »
No way a two ball is playing in 1.5.  Here is the fastest round in Euro Tour history and as you can see he is running between shots.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/fastest-european-tour-round/

"The fastest round of golf recorded on the PGA Tour is held by Wesley Bryan who completed his final round at the 2017 BMW Championship in just 1 hour 28 minutes while shooting 69."

There are plenty of references to Norman and O'Meara playing Pebble Beach in 1 hour 24.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-11-14-8802170046-story.html

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »
Edit: Full disclosure I didn't read that last article before my last post.

After reading it, they allegedly ran about half the holes. However, that round still needs a major asterisk...as they weren't actually trying to play a competitive round with Norman shooting 79.  It was just getting around the course to beat the bad weather and cash a guaranteed paycheck.  So in the spirit of things, I would still call this bogus, as they weren't competing in a Speed Golf event.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:23:27 PM by Kalen Braley »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
No way a two ball is playing in 1.5.  Here is the fastest round in Euro Tour history and as you can see he is running between shots.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/fastest-european-tour-round/

"The fastest round of golf recorded on the PGA Tour is held by Wesley Bryan who completed his final round at the 2017 BMW Championship in just 1 hour 28 minutes while shooting 69."

There are plenty of references to Norman and O'Meara playing Pebble Beach in 1 hour 24.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-11-14-8802170046-story.html

Perhaps because they didn't try to score it wasn't recognized. The golf digest video below says that Bryan beat the record by 20 minutes or something like that. and he shot 69 while doing it. He was also playing as a single.

https://www.golfdigest.com/video/the-fastest-round-in-pga-tour-history

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:08:11 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jay Mickle

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »

Seems that we have slowed down quite a bit. Back in Ross's day he expected a foursome to play #2 in 2 hours and 40 minutes. If possible today Pinehurst could either double its income of halve the greens fee.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
fourball, not foresome.
If you squint at the fine print, he uses course police.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »
fourball, not foresome.
If you squint at the fine print, he uses course police.

Not to fret Pete, in another 100 years a typical round will have bumped up another 2 hours to 6.5-7 hours.

And whoever is around on GCA.com will pine for the old days when one could play a round in under 5 hours!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
I have a friend who made a deal with a local course to allow his fourball to have the first tee time every Saturday, and they typically played in 2:30 or so. The called it aerobic golf.

At my club there is a fourball group that often plays first, and when finished when asked how they did they often reply something like 157. That's not a score.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

MLevesque

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »

Caddy chat sucks-especially out loud, as if for an audience.
Worst thing that has happened to golf the last 20 years.
And those who enjoy listening to it on TV are part of the problem-creating the demand for it and normalizing it.

I wholeheartedly agreed.  Ideally, caddy gives yardage, player selects club, player hits shot, caddy and player go find ball-repeat
I am Skew!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2021, 08:47:33 PM »
Yardage finders slow the game down. Look for a sprinkler head with a metal plate. Use your range finder. Slows stuff down. Get rid of both and just grab a club and play a shot vs throw a calibrated dart - that will speed up play.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2021, 01:13:44 AM »

Caddy chat sucks-especially out loud, as if for an audience.
Worst thing that has happened to golf the last 20 years.
And those who enjoy listening to it on TV are part of the problem-creating the demand for it and normalizing it.

I wholeheartedly agreed.  Ideally, caddy gives yardage, player selects club, player hits shot, caddy and player go find ball-repeat

TV is to blame full stop.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2021, 03:29:28 AM »
I recall that the cameras's only used to focus-in on players when they were about to hit a shot. Now they seem to focus-in for ages before a shot is played. Maybe it's due to more mobile camera's and the seemingly ever nearby chatty commentator.
In addition, somehow I doubt that the TV innovation at The Open whereby mic's were positioned to listen-in to player-caddy chat prior to shots will help with the pace of play of those who are influenced by what they see and hear on 'the box'.
atb

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »

the real key to busy course flow is teaching groups of 4 how to play ready golf, and maintain a consistent pace throughout the course.
So many just aren't ready when it's their turn, begin a long routine AFTER it's clearly their turn, take too many practice swings, start a long story when it's someone's turn to tee off(rather than when they are walking), don't read a putt when others are playing, don't grab a couple of clubs when parking a cart remotely or sharing a caddie--or worse yet refuse to proceed without a caddie's input-who may well be performing other duties.
In short it takes a coordinated effort for any group to play 4 balls at a sub 4 or even a 4 hour pace, and frankly all it takes is a couple of groups not doing this to slow the whole day down.

+1

This is the key to speeding up play at most courses and the blame isn't on high handicappers alone. It's across the board

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back