News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Jeff,

Very well said, the bad breaks comments were indeed intolerable and I too kept wondering when is one going to actually happen.  And as much as the Yanks bemoaned alleged unfairness, the setup at RSG was one of the most "fair" I can recall seeing anywhere.

P.S.  It was nice to see Morikawa be the adult in the room with his terrific and well-grounded champions speech, certainly far better than watching the 8 year olds BDC and Brooks playing back and forth grab-ass with each other.

Kalen I was watching BBC I believe. I love the lingo of the Uk broadcasts as well. To bad Peter Allis is no longer with us as he was very entertaining in his own right.

I did watch golf channel commentary afterwards and you are right they did bemoan the weather how this championship wasn’t an authentic test. Let God decide and just play the course. I think someone quoted Ross with some to the effect, “there’s the hole, play it any way you like.”
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

I do wonder why television always seems to root for the majors to be extremely difficult, even as they defend the idea that the audience likes to see long drives and lots of birdies.

Either (1) they are looking for some controversy to talk about or (2) their advertisers are afraid that winning scores of 265 are more likely to lead to an equipment rollback.

Adam Lawrence

I do wonder why television always seems to root for the majors to be extremely difficult, even as they defend the idea that the audience likes to see long drives and lots of birdies.

Either (1) they are looking for some controversy to talk about or (2) their advertisers are afraid that winning scores of 265 are more likely to lead to an equipment rollback.

I think it's the former. Players suffering is by definition a story.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

Can you imagine if at every World Series, Wimbledon final, Super Bowl,World Cup, we had to listen to commentators endlessly drone on about the field conditions and design not providing a "true test", as if the person/team who played the best and scored the most points wasn't a worthy champion.
It goes in the category of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and that's something the US commentator team and Zinger have in spades.(Justin Leonard is growing on me, if only because he is respectful and surrounded by comparative ineptness-and shoutout to Bones who stays in his lane despite being capable of running circles around the rest of the team)
And for the record, the inane comments coming from the Golf Channel team are no less inane when uttered by the many accented, equally poorly informed party line commentators they seem to try to dredge up for major golf coverage.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rick Lane

If members of clubs bragged out how interesting their greens are rather than their speed on the stimp golf would be better off. Some of my favorite rounds were at courses like belvedere, cape arundel, and others that present conditions that exemplify the design of wonderful greens.

Upcoming Sr. Womens Open at Brooklawn will hopefully highlight the greens complexes. 
https://www.mgagolf.org/news/road-majors

As to speed, the max they can ever get to on the 90 year old greens is 10.5.   Two or three of them have so much slope that beyond that the balls won’t stay put.  Late July in the Northeast usually hot and humid, so I would expect them to be slower than 10.5, which allows for very interesting hole locations. Should be quite interesting to watch players hit putts with yards, not feet of break.

Thomas Dai

It’s been for the U.K. pretty damn hot here during the last few days and my regular playing partners and I don’t use buggies. To avoid long, hot, physically tiring rounds we’ve been playing quite a few holes from the forward tees, “ no walking back”, in particular we’ve been doing so on the holes with the most challenging greens.
And it’s been a hoot, great fun. A hole that is usually a long second shot that likely misses the green and is followed by a chip nearish the hole and a couple of putts has become a short iron that hits the green but may well be in three-putt territory. Still a nice wee ball striking skill challenge but with a different to the norm mental conundrum to figure out and a faster, less physically tiring round.
Each to their own though.
Atb

jeffwarne

If members of clubs bragged out how interesting their greens are rather than their speed on the stimp golf would be better off. Some of my favorite rounds were at courses like belvedere, cape arundel, and others that present conditions that exemplify the design of wonderful greens.

Upcoming Sr. Womens Open at Brooklawn will hopefully highlight the greens complexes. 
https://www.mgagolf.org/news/road-majors

As to speed, the max they can ever get to on the 90 year old greens is 10.5.   Two or three of them have so much slope that beyond that the balls won’t stay put.  Late July in the Northeast usually hot and humid, so I would expect them to be slower than 10.5, which allows for very interesting hole locations. Should be quite interesting to watch players hit putts with yards, not feet of break.

+1
with the added benefit that the turf will be alive for the event and for the members as well post event
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

It’s been for the U.K. pretty damn hot here during the last few days and my regular playing partners and I don’t use buggies. To avoid long, hot, physically tiring rounds we’ve been playing quite a few holes from the forward tees, “ no walking back”, in particular we’ve been doing so on the holes with the most challenging greens.
And it’s been a hoot, great fun. A hole that is usually a long second shot that likely misses the green and is followed by a chip nearish the hole and a couple of putts has become a short iron that hits the green but may well be in three-putt territory. Still a nice wee ball striking skill challenge but with a different to the norm mental conundrum to figure out and a faster, less physically tiring round.
Each to their own though.
Atb

My dislike for walking back to tees increases with each year. But it seems most people are hung up on playing a set of tees for the day. Bleh.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back