News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

US Girls' Jr. at Olympia Fields
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »
Folks,

Monday starts the 2011 US Girls' Jr. on the South Course at OFCC. We had a welcome party tonight, and the whole thing is going to be very cool. Seems like every tee shot is 240-265 right down the middle (there's very little rough, which doesn't matter anyway because they don't hit it in there anyways). The USGA has set up the course at around 6400 yards, par 72. For the stroke play rounds, it is going to be pretty benign, but the setup and speeds should get real interesting in the matchplay. We have 156 of the best junior golfers in the world playing, from about 14 countries.   

We start grilling cheesburgers, steaks and italian sausage monday morning, and won't stop until a champion is crowned next Saturday. The public is welcome, no admission fee, and parking is free at Marian HS just down the block from us (signs are everywhere), with shuttles to the club running all day, every day.

This is the first Championship on the South Course since Sam Snead won the Chicago Open on it (or most of it) in 1938. I'll report as things go along.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

ed_getka

Re: US Girls' Jr. at Olympia Fields
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »
Jeff,
    Have a great week. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I am interested to hear what you think of their short games by the end of the week.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
Congratulations Jeff
Have fun
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
Jeff,

Best of luck this week hosting the US Girls Junior. Looking forward to getting your reports this week.
H.P.S.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »
Thanks. I've been a little under the weather for a lot of the last year (I'm fine now), and this is going to be a riot. One thi
ng already. For short game stuff, they don't putt, ever. 

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Best of luck on the event, Jeff. I loved the South and will be interested to see how it holds up!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
Goldy,

Have fun with this event...sounds like a blast!  Wish I was in Chicago to be able to attend.  You should be proud.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
This is the first Championship on the South Course since Sam Snead won the Chicago Open on it (or most of it) in 1938.

Based on the work I saw, I don't think it will be quite as long until the next event.

Is any of this televised?

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
Goldy,

Have fun with this event...sounds like a blast!  Wish I was in Chicago to be able to attend.  You should be proud.

I attended a medal and matchplay round for the Girls Junior at Hartford Golf Club a couple of years ago. The poise and talent that the players possess at a young age is pretty amazing. These kids are tournament tested and really fun to watch. Good luck at OF.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
Jeff,

Can you point us to information (e.g., parking) for attending the tournament? The USGA website isn't updated:

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventContent.aspx?id=2147492043
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:25 AM »
Howard,

Don't know what's posted where, but parking is free at Marian Catholic high school, just down the block from the club on Joe Orr road at Ashland. Free shuttles run all day, every day. If you're coming from chicago, you can also take the metra train to the Olympia Fields stop and walk through an underpass to the club (like, 20 yards from where you get off). We have folks in both places to guide. Come down and we'll take care of you.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
I think this year there's just something on the Golf channel.

The course will hold up fine for the setup. I think the medalist for the two-day stroke play will be something like 136-140 or so, depending on the weather, which looks lousy for monday. 

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »
Sorry for the dumb multiple posts, but I'm doing this via blackberry. Just came back from the "players dinner" which was very cool. Carol Mann, 1965 US Open Champion who grew up at OFCC, was the keynote speaker and brought the house down. Yesterday was a big welcome party and we were all, members, players, family and the odd USGA rep, boogey-ing to a raucous dj on our big patio overlooking the course (told you we're treating it like a big party). Really fun being prez for this stuff, meeting and greeting great people.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 12:48:57 AM »
Jeff, it should be a great week. I'll be out there beginning Wednesday, when match play begins.

Look out for Jordan Lippetz of Bradenton, Fla. and the IMG academy. She lost the Women's Western Junior final at Flossmoor last week to Ashley Armstrong (Flossmoor's very own) in a 20-hole fireworks display. Birdies everywhere. Armstrong is 18 and too old for the USGA, but after last week, Lippetz comes in primed for match play.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Howard Riefs

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
Howard,

Don't know what's posted where, but parking is free at Marian Catholic high school, just down the block from the club on Joe Orr road at Ashland. Free shuttles run all day, every day. If you're coming from chicago, you can also take the metra train to the Olympia Fields stop and walk through an underpass to the club (like, 20 yards from where you get off). We have folks in both places to guide. Come down and we'll take care of you.

Jeff,

Thanks for the background on transportation and parking. Look forward to being at the club on Saturday.

Have a great week and stay hydrated!

-- Howard
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Peter Galea

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »
Watch for Mariko Tumangen from San Jose, who blistered Rancho Canada East two years ago in the CCS with a course record 62.
"chief sherpa"

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Welcome to Tulsa Oklahoma! Tommy Bolt has a lead going into the final day....oops. Felt like we were there yesterday (we did dodge all the rain), and it's going to stay warm for the rest of the Championship. The golf was fantastic, with 2 kids breaking par, Ariya Jutanugarn shot 68, and Irene Jung of Canada shot 69. Jisoo Keel, Kaitlin Park and Mariko Tumangan shot even par 72. Looking at the course stats from round 1, the holes playing the most difficult are the longest. It was great watching the kids tring to get up and down from around the greens, reading slopes and making judgments on the type of shot to play (a couple went into the kitchen on 6, which was no good).

Steve Kline

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread but even at the younger levels, it looks like women's golf is dominated by Asians. Why is that Asians (particularly Koreans) have become so dominant in women's golf but not men's? Not trying to be xenophobic or anything. I just find it interesting that Asian women seem so dominant in golf and there seems to be great depth in Asian women's golf when the cultures in Asia are so male dominated.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
Greetings. For those thinking of coming out, the club's parking lot is open so just come on down.
I have been following a girl from Argentina, Manuela Carbajo Re, who was in the greenside bunker on 18 in 2, up and down for easy birdie. Wow.

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
Greetings. For those thinking of coming out, the club's parking lot is open so just come on down.
I have been following a girl from Argentina, Manuela Carbajo Re, who was in the greenside bunker on 18 in 2, up and down for easy birdie. Wow.

Considering it's a USGA event, I would of assumed that 4 on 18 would of been a par ;)

Have fun this week!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back