News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

The 'Augusta Method' of Fixing Ballmarks?
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
I was playing a couple of days ago with an assistant pro at a well-known golf course who told me that I was fixing my ball mark wrong.  He told me there is a new way to do it, the way they do it at Augusta, and the grass repairs in some 40% (I think) less time.  Here's the method:

Take a one-pronged divot repair tool (aka a golf tee) and stick it in the middle of the pitchmark and rotate the tee in a circular motion.  Then go back to the old method.  At four edges of the pitch mark stick the tee in and press towards the centre.  Pat down with putter.

Trying it today, this method certainly looks like it works better.

My question is: Is this a real thing? Does it really heal better, or is it just a bunch of BS?

John_Cullum

Re: The 'Augusta Method' of Fixing Ballmarks?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
Just rotate the tee or use it to stir up the center?. Just sticking it in and spinning doesn't seem to make much sense.
Raynor was a hack

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »
John,

not just rotate.  I can't think of the right word, but put it in and move the tee in circles so it actually makes a decent sized hole.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »
John,

not just rotate.  I can't think of the right word, but put it in and move the tee in circles so it actually makes a decent sized hole.

I'm familiar with those moves in Augusta, they just usually occur on Broad street....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »
This is been around for 20 years and yes if done properly leads to faster healing. Hopefully the rotating action will allow a small plug to come out with much of the damaged grass, leaving something similar to a shallow aerifying hole. You then use the divot tool to close up the hole or most of the hole. Yes its legit, at least in my book!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
Augusta method :D

I prefer the Wolf Point method, tap it down if you can find it.  ;)

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
Don, I seem to recall you being a superintendent or otherwise some type of agronomist...wouldn't creating a hole in the soil below the pitch mark cause problems similar to when people lift the center of the pitch mark rather than pushing in the sides?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »
I see more people fix ballmarks improperly. However, it's better they fix it wrong, than not at all.

Funny they call it "Augusta". I suppose it's some form of psychology. 'If they do it at Augusta it must be right' At least pushing into the center is, the final part, and it's a good way to show someone how to fix it properly, versus just being a dickhead and instructing them, ALL THE TIME.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:41:25 AM »
Try the links method - search hard, then putt!
Cave Nil Vino

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
You stick your whole tee in.
You pull your whole tee out.
You stick your whole tee in
And you wiggle it about.
You post on GCA
that Hootie is a lout.
And that's what it's all about.
Okie, Doakie.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:13:56 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
And you wiggle it about.
You post on GCA
that Hootie is a lout.
Okie, Doakie.

+1

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
And you wiggle it about.
You post on GCA
that Hootie is a lout.
Okie, Doakie.

No wonder the hillbilly tour went defunct.
:P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Sounds like what they do (used to do?) at Kohler Wisc. on older, brown ball marks.  The crew made repair tools out of ice picks, welding on a handle made from a hollow-core aerifier tine.

They cored out the dead grass and then repaired the hole.

The method you describe would do a similar thing, but seems unnecessary on a fresh ball mark.

Thking about their tool caused me to make some out of those little freebie pocket screw drivers.  They worked great, but then I found http://www.pitchprogolf.com/ and it's about the only repairer I will to carry anymore.

K
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:31:26 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 07:40:40 PM »
Ken - I've seen a few golf courses here in metro NYC go to the Pitchpro divot tool including Quaker Ridge and Montclair Golf... and I've been told to do the twist/hoakie-pokie with them! This definitely seems to work the best from what I've seen.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
Is a video available?  or even a side by side comparson?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back