News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Holes that get in your head
« on: April 26, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
I just returned from four days six rounds at Hidden Creek NJ. My play vacillated from good to dreadful. Eighteen, however, is my nemesis. I stand on the tee and just dread the hole. The fairway is wide open and jogs to the right just a bit. If you hit the tee ball well you can bound down the hill and have a short iron into the green. Invariably I hit my tee shot in the left woods. I tried to hit a fade overcooked it. I have thrown down half a dozen balls just to have a good memory of a decent tee shot. Nope. I have worked on my attitude. Didn't work. I made on par on the hole, but only because I hit a brilliant long bunker shot to six inches. Next time I'll play 17 twice and skip the hole.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Holes that get in your head
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 06:13:37 PM »
I’ll give folks another opportunity to chime in. There must be holes that just eat your lunch.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Burrows

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 08:06:11 PM »
Number 15 at Brickyard Crossing just kills me. It’s an odd visual off the tee due to the high tension electrical tower just off the left side of the fairway, and OB all along the left side. Then, to the right of the fairway is a sharp drop-off into the rough that all but guarantees a virtually blind lay-up short of the creek. Laying up too short leaves a long third shot but trying to get closer takes the chance of hitting an unfortunately placed cart path that crosses the fairway…and then going into the creek. I’ve tried driver, fairway metals, and irons off the tee, but I’m 15-20 plays I don’t think I’ve ever sniffed the fairway. Even on days that I’m playing well up to that point, everything seems to fall apart for me on that hole. It’s a mental block on that tee that I can’t shake.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Jim Tang

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 04:17:50 PM »
The 12th at Ballyneal is my nemesis as my tee shot typically cannot resist the sweet siren song of the bowl on the right.  I've tried draws off the tee, fades, laying up short with a hybrid, hammering a driver mostly to unfavorable results.  I did play the hole better last year but historically the 12th has been a puzzle I've yet to solve.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 04:42:03 PM »
Jim,

It was nice meeting you at Ballyneal last year. 12 indeed is a puzzle; I yanked it too far left on both plays.

But the hole that is in my head because it is so straightforward is 14 at Mid Pines. In more than a dozen plays, I think that I have yet to hit the fairway. No explanation serves. In the Sandhills, 11 at Pine Needles is a close second—wide open from an elevated tee, and I end up butchering it every time.

Ira
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:46:41 PM by Ira Fishman »

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »
There is a par 3 hole here at my local muni (15th at Roy Kizer in Austin TX). It's about 125 yards, slightly downhill, wraparound bunker short, right, and long. The hole has a large flat green. It was clearly put there because they needed the 14th green in one place, the 16th tee in another, and they needed one more hole to make an 18-hole course so voila! let's put in a par 3.

It's a wedge for most players, and no halfway decent player should have any trouble with the shot.

But every single time I either blade it over the green or chunk it into the bunker or even short of the bunker.

It's the easiest shot on the course, but I screw it up every time.

I've tried basically running from the 14th green to the 15th tee and hitting the shot as quickly as possible before I can think about it at all. I've tried taking my time. I've tried clubbing down and hitting a knockdown. I've tried clubbing up and taking a big swing.

I cannot hit this freaking green. I make minimum 4 every time. It's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:47:26 PM by JLahrman »

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 05:15:25 PM »
For some reason I cannot hit the fairway on the 8th hole at Sedgefield, which is a short, straightforward par 4 with plenty of room. I'd have a wedge to the green with a decent drive, but I hit a dead block out to the right almost every time I play the hole -- sometimes I hit it OB on that line, but even if I don't, I'm usually in the rough behind a tree that makes it almost impossible to get to the green.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 11:27:13 PM »
I have never hit a decent tee shot on 17 at Carnoustie. Only played it maybe 5 times but can’t figure out what to do with the burn. Maybe I am so beat up by the time I get there.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 09:32:25 AM »
For some reason I cannot hit the fairway on the 8th hole at Sedgefield, which is a short, straightforward par 4 with plenty of room. I'd have a wedge to the green with a decent drive, but I hit a dead block out to the right almost every time I play the hole -- sometimes I hit it OB on that line, but even if I don't, I'm usually in the rough behind a tree that makes it almost impossible to get to the green.

I probably have played Sedgefield two dozen times. Eight is an awkward tee shot. It got in my head for a long time. My miss was in the creek left. I finally aimed left and hit a fade. I had a longer shot in but at least I get it in the fairway.
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 09:36:01 AM »
I have never hit a decent tee shot on 17 at Carnoustie. Only played it maybe 5 times but can’t figure out what to do with the burn. Maybe I am so beat up by the time I get there.

17 at Carnoustie is the most demanding tee shot for guys that can't hit it over the creek but have to fit in between the burn. With the wind it is a par five for me.
St. John of the Cross

Cal Seifert

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:18:39 AM »
1 @ Bethpage Black.  I don't think I've ever hit the fairway. It is extremely narrow and the dogleg is at a pretty far distance off the tee which typically causes me to overswing.  The trees down the right side are usually my spot. It is also my least favorite hole on the course. Visually, it looks nothing special for a course that is regarding so highly of.  The green is a cool shape but very mundane.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »
I think this issue has been raised at least once before. My answer is still the same, #14 (Foxy) at Royal Dornoch.

I would like to think I am a competent mid-teen handicap. In the 400+ times I have played the course, I have parred the hole just twice. :(

Unless I hit 2 perfect shots (which has never happened), I cannot reach the green in two. Chipping or pitching it close with my 3rd shot on to the elevated and subtlety sloped green is no easy task. Best case making par depends on holing at 15'-20' putt, which does not happen nearly often enough.

To play golf is to live in hope.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSMwTJb-Rw
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:37:14 AM by David_Tepper »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »
I think this issue has been raised at least once before. My answer is still the same, #14 (Foxy) at Royal Dornoch.

I would like to think I am a competent mid-teen handicap. In the 400+ times I have played the course, I have parred the hole just twice. :(

Unless I hit 2 perfect shots (which has never happened), I cannot reach the green in two. Chipping or pitching it close with my 3rd shot on to the elevated and subtlety sloped green is no easy task. Best case making par depends on holing at 15'-20' putt, which does not happen nearly often enough.

To play golf is to live in hope.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSMwTJb-Rw

If I had to trade making a par on 14 or playing the course 400 times, it would be an easy answer.
St. John of the Cross

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »
Tommy -

I am not asking for or expecting any sympathy. ;) I know how fortunate I have been to be able to play there so often over the past 20 years. I am never unhappy making 5 on Foxy.

DT

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 02:30:26 PM »
Not so much a hole but a forced carry, a shot without an alternative or even a lay-up, one that can’t be achieved with a Sunday best shot even downwind off a tee-peg.
Atb

DFarron

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 10:59:54 AM »
Number 3 at Pasatiempo…..I’ve hit driver, 3 wood, 7 wood and 4 iron into that hole over 25 rounds and never hit the green….last time I hit 7 iron and half sand wedge to 6 feet but missed the putt.

I’ve never liked a hole so much that has pissed me off so much lol!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 12:50:46 PM »
Tommy -

I am not asking for or expecting any sympathy. ;) I know how fortunate I have been to be able to play there so often over the past 20 years. I am never unhappy making 5 on Foxy.

DT

I have told this story before, but it is a favorite. On our one play at RD, pace was slow and while we were waiting on the tee at Foxy, we asked the husband and wife twosome behind us to join us. It also was their first play. He proceeded to hit two great shots and drain a 15 footer for birdie. When I informed him that he just birdied one of the most architecturally significant holes in the world, he honestly said, “Really? I didn’t know that.” Put my game and my interest in gca into perspective.

Ira

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 01:27:07 PM »
Tommy,

Change your strategy on the hole.   Obviously, driver off the tee isn't working.   Throttle back to a 3-wood....if that doesn't work, hit a hybrid or long iron.   Do whatever you need to do to keep the ball in play off the tee.   

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 01:43:33 PM »
Tommy,

Change your strategy on the hole.   Obviously, driver off the tee isn't working.   Throttle back to a 3-wood....if that doesn't work, hit a hybrid or long iron.   Do whatever you need to do to keep the ball in play off the tee.

WHAT?!? You think I'm that smart?
Things good at Kinloch?
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back