News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bret Lawrence

Re: Willie Park Jr (Course Listings) and (Photo tours)
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2022, 01:16:24 PM »
Here are the last three articles I have from the Canadian Golfer.

Boischatel Course designed by Willie Park is to be formally opened this coming season.
Canadian Golfer., February 1925:

Weston Golf Club claims to be the last course in Canada to be laid out by Willie Park.
Canadian Golfer., May 1925:

A tribute to Willie Park from J. H. Taylor.
Canadian Golfer., June 1925:

I am sure there are more Park articles in their archives. Searching for specific courses  would also likely yield more articles. If anyone would like to search the site, visit the link below. They have an excellent search function which allows you to easily search within each publication. 

https://canadiangolfer.golfcanada.ca/page/Canadian-Golfer

Karl Jensen

« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2022, 08:59:03 AM »
Mentioned elsewhere on GCA but not as a part of this thread nor on the Willie Park Jr. advertisement brochure are Park Jr.'s improvement prepared plans for the Royal Ottawa Golf Club. See images below.

Royal Ottawa Golf Club article, Jun 1925 The Canadian Golfer magazine, page 145

Royal Ottawa Golf Club article, Jun 1925 The Canadian Golfer magazine, page 147

Royal Ottawa Golf Club article, Jun 1925 The Canadian Golfer magazine, page 148

Karl Jensen

« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2022, 01:06:59 PM »
Interesting film footage in the link below of an 1898 match between Willie Park Jr. and Willie Fernie at Musselburgh. I enjoy seeing these early historic golf videos and wanted to share it with those who haven't seen this one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hainesy76/status/946837766263988225

Jeff Schley

« Reply #303 on: March 28, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »
Karl wow that is cool.  Caddies teeing up your ball, buttoned up suit jackets and swings that are anything but what we would call modern looking. Even the short chips were so much feel, I think those with great hands back then really shined.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Karl Jensen

« Reply #304 on: March 28, 2022, 02:18:08 PM »
I think both men were putting at the end of the video. Cool to see Park Jr. make a putting stroke when he would go on to write the book The Art of Putting in 1920 and be referred to in many period articles as the greatest putter.

Willie Park Jr. The Art of Putting book

MCirba

« Reply #305 on: March 28, 2022, 02:55:47 PM »
Karl, et.al.,

The following is from Melvyn Morrow who asked me to post this for him;

Golf Club Atlas topic by Karl Jensen “ Ferndown Golf Course” constructed in 1913, was designed by, and overseen by - well just check out the two short articles from 1913.
The first from The Standard, from Monday the 27th March 1913 and from Sheffield Daily Telegraph dated Saturday 12th April 1913. - hopefully it becomes clear.Anyone who knows Karl, could you please pass this onto him or post it on GCA. -  many thanks.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:58:05 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Karl Jensen

« Reply #306 on: April 01, 2022, 07:11:13 AM »
This is a possible Willie Park Jr. design in Ohio that is not on his brochure advertisement. I found this newspaper article a couple years ago and have not been able to corroborate it. It is quite possible given Park Jr.'s design of the Ashland Country Club in Ashland, OH during the same time frame. Unfortunately the golf course has been bulldozed for a housing development in the past two years. See the below 1922 newspaper article image and the below link to photos of the bulldozed course.

Brookside Country Club article, 20 Jun 1922 Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper

https://www.addisonprops.com/properties-communities-new/brookside-greens

Niall C

« Reply #307 on: April 01, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »
Karl,

I commend you, and Brett, for all your efforts. Can I ask you though, as well as listing where WP jnr has been, are you also compiling what he has done at each course and whether any of his work remains ? From a cursory run through of the courses listed in the OP it is clear that quite a few are not original WP designs and have had significant alterations after he was there. It would be good to record that.

From experience, I find it frustrating that over here in the UK and in particular in Scotland, any course that Braid consulted on gets tagged a Braid when his input might have been minimal. Anyway, apologies for whinging and well done on your work.

Niall

ps. Peter Lewis is of the opinion that the Fernie/Park footage is the earliest footage of professionals playing golf.

Karl Jensen

« Reply #308 on: April 01, 2022, 12:55:55 PM »
Karl,

I commend you, and Brett, for all your efforts. Can I ask you though, as well as listing where WP jnr has been, are you also compiling what he has done at each course and whether any of his work remains ? From a cursory run through of the courses listed in the OP it is clear that quite a few are not original WP designs and have had significant alterations after he was there. It would be good to record that.

From experience, I find it frustrating that over here in the UK and in particular in Scotland, any course that Braid consulted on gets tagged a Braid when his input might have been minimal. Anyway, apologies for whinging and well done on your work.

Niall

ps. Peter Lewis is of the opinion that the Fernie/Park footage is the earliest footage of professionals playing golf.

Niall,

Even though I have folders on each Willie Park Jr. course that is known or I have discovered some Park Jr. involvement with, I have not gone into great detail such as other GCA contributors. One has to be careful reading the tea leafs, so to say, of reports in newspapers which may be inaccurate. GCA is a good litmus test for any new finds and even challenging long held facts that turn out to be incorrect.

Below is a link to another early golf video of Vardon vs. Braid in 1904.

Karl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIsVJUiD4II&t=2s
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 04:18:34 PM by Karl Jensen »

Karl Jensen

« Reply #309 on: April 02, 2022, 08:12:39 AM »
Out of the many images I have collected of Willie Park Jr., below are two images of Willie as a golf architect in the field. The first image is Willie at the Tumble Brook Country Club in Bloomfield, CT. The second image is Willie at the Elm Terrace Country Club in West Haven, CT. Both were taken in 1922.

Elm Terrace Country Club was short lived, being converted to a housing development in 1926. Tumble Brook Country Club still exists and I have included a link below to the full page newspaper article in which I snipped the photo from.

Willie Park Jr. photo, 26 Nov 1922 Hartford, CT Daily Courant newspaper

Willie Park Jr. on right, West Haven history book, Carole McElrath, 2005

https://www.newspapers.com/image/369368184/?terms=%22willie%20park%22&match=1

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #310 on: April 02, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
Karl,

Niall

Niall,

I appreciate the comments.  I have not personally tried to compile a list of Willie Park’s work at each course.  It would be a very large undertaking suited for a Society.  Willie Park is probably the most prolific international golf architect without a Golf Society, at least in the United States.

The reason I enjoy participating in this thread is the collaborative effort from people all over the world.  No one is really an expert on Willie Park and we can all learn together from each others experiences and stories.  I think Ben initially tried to do as you suggested when he started this thread, but as the list grew larger, the details became smaller.  Mungo noted that he was more interested in the whereabouts of a Willie Park, than the actual work he performed. 

I think anyone that wants to take on the task of analyzing each course can start with this thread.  Several of his courses have been broken down into more detail.  I also hear your argument concerning Braid.  Willie Park did not get the same treatment as Braid or Ross.  There are courses like CC of New Bedford, where we hadn’t re-discovered the Park connection until very recently which brings up one more point.

Some of the other golf societies jumped the gun on their architect and gave them credit for many courses they had no involvement in. They would find one article mentioning the course and speculate their architect built it.  With this thread, it’s nice to see the data being gathered before it’s analyzed prematurely.  It’s also nice to see that with Park you don’t have to make as many corrections to the list as you do additions.  I agree a list should be compiled, but it will take a group effort from people in every region Park built a golf course.

Bret

Karl Jensen

« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »
Lots to be discovered about Willie Park Jr. and the golfing Park family of Inveresk, Scotland. This is the death notice for Willie Park Sr.'s brother Archie that I knew nothing about. Archie is buried at St. Michael Cemetery in Inveresk along with Willie Sr., Willie Jr. and other Park family members.

Archibald Park, Willie Sr.'s brother death notice, 13 Sep 1911 Liverpool, England Daily Post and Mercury newspaper

Karl Jensen

« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »
I don't think the NLE Balerno Golf Club of Dean Park, Midlothian made the Willie Park Jr. list nor his 1920s golf course advertisement. Perhaps some one else knows more?

See the below link and two images.

https://www.forgottengreens.com/forgotten-greens/mid-lothian-balerno/

Balerno Golf Club mention, 29 Dec 1897 London, England Pall Mall Gazette newspaper

Balerno Golf Club listing, 1898 The Golfing Annual

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back