News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Re: Charlotte Golf Links
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
Oh...are you sure?  I'm the one who revisited it after a 12-year absence, just yesterday.

OK, now you are making me curious also, why?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
1.  Having played it once as a random course, knowing it had a pedigree of sorts, I went back to judge with a finer eye.  I wanted to see how early Doak compared with middle Doak (Pacific Dunes).

2.  When I first played it, I had a cursory knowledge of some of the great Dead Old Guys and what they tried to do in their day with golf courses.  Knowing that Doak is a keeper of that flame, to a certain extent, I needed to see what he did that most resembled their work.  I would say, without doubt, it was his contouring of fairways, allowing the ground ball to work its way to prime position on many holes, eliminating the need to play a long, high ball to carry trouble.

3.  I wanted to see if the current owners had done ridiculous things to the course, restructuring the playing characteristics.  Fortunately, they have let the course play as it is supposed to play.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 10:44:37 AM »
From The Charlotte Observer

GOLF COURSE REVIEW
Charlotte Golf Links makes game accessible
By Ron Green Jr.
rgreenjr@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Wednesday, Jul. 06, 2011

Charlotte Golf Links.

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2011/07/06/12/51/6I3oW.Em.138.jpg|204Charlotte Golf Links.

Charlotte Golf Links.

For 18 years, Charlotte Golf Links has been a distinctive part of the local golf landscape, offering players a layout that gives a gentle nod toward the true links of the world.

It was designed by Tom Doak before he became a star in the design world and while no one will confuse Charlotte Golf Links with his work at Bandon Dunes, among other places, it's a pleasant place to play golf. That, after all, is the objective.

Charlotte Golf Links isn't overpowering -- it's only 6,700 yards from all the way back -- but it has a fun collection of holes, including five par-3s. More than trees, the design uses native grasses and mounding to challenge players.

Under the direction of general manager Rich Richeson, Charlotte Golf Links is striving to become a full-service destination with a learning center and initiatives designed to cultivate new players while enhancing the experience for its many regulars.

Charlotte Golf Links is one of five Carolina Trail courses with learning centers -- The Divide, The Tradition, Birkdale and Highland Creek are the others -- with a focus on bringing new players into the game and keeping them.

"It's not about structures but about programming. The objective is to create new adult golfers who become loyal to the game and the course," said Richeson, who wrote the curriculum for the PGA of America's Get Golf Ready initiative in 2009.

The course offers a five-week program that not only teaches new players the basics of hitting shots, chipping and putting, but also takes them on the course to get them more comfortable with playing the game and its etiquette. Teaching people to make a proper swing but not giving them on-course experience keeps only two in 10 in the game. Teach them the swing and then help them on the course brings eight of 10 back, Richeson said.

In addition to the five-week lessons, new golfers also get five free rounds. The goal was to have 800 students through the various learning centers this year and, Richeson said, it's likely more than 1,000 will participate based on the early numbers.

"At some point you have to grow golfers," Richeson said. "You want to make them feel welcome in a non-intimidating way. It's critical to what we do."

THE DETAILS

Charlotte Golf Links
11500 Providence Road
Charlotte, NC 28277
704-846-7990
www.charlottegolf.com

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/06/2432983/charlotte-golf-links-makes-game.html#ixzz1RWasUD2i

JC Jones

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I am committed to playing there when I return in August.  Perhaps even Roger will join me for a round (though its a little low brow for him).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
JC,

I was shocked when you told my you hadn't played there yet..Must be all that Access Whoring you've been doing.. 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
I am committed to playing there when I return in August.  Perhaps even Roger will join me for a round (though its a little low brow for him).

Do it on a weekend. I'll join. I went to the one day Dave Pelz school there.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2011, 06:21:40 AM »
JC,

I was shocked when you told my you hadn't played there yet..Must be all that Access Whoring you've been doing.. 8)

Jud - which whore are you talking about?  ;)

JC Jones

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »

Do it on a weekend. I'll join. I went to the one day Dave Pelz school there.

How was that?  My short game and putting are in desperate need of help.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2011, 05:20:32 AM »
JC,
It's excellent but very pricey.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back