News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_Messix

Re: RIP William McKee, Wade Hampton founder
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
Everybody here in Cashiers was stunned by William's passing.  I saw him earlier in the week and he was as you described in the article.  It's difficult to describe in words the achievement of pulling a course the caliber of Wade Hampton Golf Club off was in so many ways.  When I wrote the history book of the club a few years ago, he was reluctant to take enough credit for the vision, effort, and risk it took on his part to create a special club.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:02:29 PM by Adam_Messix »

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
I was stunned to hear the news. William changed the face of Cashiers, N.C.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Bob

John_Cullum

Re: RIP William McKee, Wade Hampton founder New
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
What a shock. At first I thought this was my childhood friend Will, but it was his cousin.

Speaking with a friend yesterday, he said "God doesn't take people in order."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:01:50 AM by John_Cullum »
Raynor was a hack

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
"It's amazing how lucky smart people can be."  If that isn't profundity, I don't know what is!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
"It's amazing how lucky smart people can be."  If that isn't profundity, I don't know what is!

Terry,
Huh?  I don't understand....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
Mike, besides being from Georgia and a regular on GCA, you're probably handicapped in your response by not having read my initial link in the opening post. I've noticed that beyond about 7 replies on a GCA DG chain, nobody reads the opener, much less a link.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
Mike, besides being from Georgia and a regular on GCA, you're probably handicapped in your response by not having read my initial link in the opening post. I've noticed that beyond about 7 replies on a GCA DG chain, nobody reads the opener, much less a link.

I think it was a joke. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »

I think it was a joke.  

Methinks my fellow Georgian is not the one suffering the handicap ::) ::) ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:45:52 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »

Huh??

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

Huh??

Plugged into Google redneck translater
Huh = "Do Wot?"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »

Huh??

Huh = "Do Wot?"

Jeff,
"Do wat?"  Those yankees are like fish in a barrel ....I never wanted to be lucky and smart..I just wanted to be a rater...and now I probably blew my chance of that with Brad...

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »

Huh??

Huh = "Do Wot?"

Jeff,
"Do wat?"  Those yankees are like fish in a barrel ....I never wanted to be lucky and smart..I just wanted to be a rater...and now I probably blew my chance of that with Brad...

well it's not like you're going the comp route with your PGA card ;)

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »

Huh??

Huh = "Do Wot?"

Jeff,

well it's not like you're going the comp route with your PGA card ;)
;D ;D ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
This death stuff is getting old, fast. 62, Really!?

Gene Greco

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »
Everybody here in Cashiers was stunned by William's passing.  I saw him earlier in the week and he was as you described in the article.  It's difficult to describe in words the achievement of pulling a course the caliber of Wade Hampton Golf Club off was in so many ways.  When I wrote the history book of the club a few years ago, he was reluctant to take enough credit for the vision, effort, and risk it took on his part to create a special club.

Adam,

I know how much you respected Mr McKee.
My condolences to you, his family, friends and all those involved with the Wade Hampton Club.

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »
Well put, Gene.  Awful news.

Michael George

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Brad:

Really nice article.   Thanks for sharing.

While I never met Mr. McKee, it is always wonderful to remember the people that this game allows us to meet along the way.  In fact, the older that I get, the more I care about those people.... and the less I care about the golf course.        
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Lou_Duran

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »
Brad:

Really nice article.   Thanks for sharing.

While I never met Mr. McKee, it is always wonderful to remember the people that this game allows us to meet along the way.  In fact, the older that I get, the more I care about those people.... and the less I care about the golf course.        

Agree with all the above.  The article struck the proper tone.  Condolences to all who knew Mr. McKee and specially the family.  As Brad noted, life is too fleeting.  Wade Hampton, a course which remains high on my list to see, is a testament to the man.  Hopefully it will be nurtured going forward in the manner its founder envisioned.  What a great legacy!

The last sentence in this post caught my eye as I think Michael captured something important about how we experience golf.  I won't risk taking this thread in an unintended direction, so I may start a new thread shortly on how our perceptions our shaped by the people involved in a golf course.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back