News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Green to Tee Walks
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Apparently the distance of the walk from 18 green to 1 tee is the most important to some.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »
Jud,

Or 18 green to the 19th hole.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Cristian

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
I feel a longer walk is better than a bad hole, but if possible walks longer than 200 yards should be avoided as they break the rhythm of the round. It is simple you don't walk much longer than 250 yards before your next shot while playing a hole either, most people don't anyway, while shorter walks occur on a golf course all the time.

I find this interesting; I would much rather walk 100-200 yards a few times than 400 or 500 yards once, as it breaks up the round too much. Do other people have the same feeling?

If yes it would be better not too minimize green to tee yards, but to minimize the number of green to tee walks over 200 yards....I believe this to be the case.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:26:33 PM by Cristian »

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »

If yes it would be better not too minimize green to tee yards, but to minimize the number of green to tee walks over 200 yards....I believe this to be the case.

So you'd be fine with a course where every green to tee walk was 190 yards?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Cristian

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »

So you'd be fine with a course where every green to tee walk was 190 yards?

Don't get me wrong I am an advocate of short Green to Tee walks, but when given the choice than yes, I would much rather have a larger number of 100-200 yard walks, than two or three or even one really long walk, say 400-500 yards, even if the remaining Green to Tee walks are relatively short.

Basically: If one hates 190 yards walks that much, one is probably playing the wrong game or one is a very short hitter.  ;D

Seriously I would very much prefer a course with 3 190 yard GtoT walks and 14 average to shorter length, say 60 yards walks (=1410 GtoT total yards) over a course with 16 60 yard walks and one 400 yard walk (= 1360 yards).

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
I feel a longer walk is better than a bad hole

So do I!  But I question why a bad hole has to be built.  Why can't the archie build a good to great hole? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »
I do not like walking back from a green to the next tee, even more so if the walk back is downhill and the following tee shot is uphill, blind and past the previous green. Ugh!

To many courses have holes that play like this these days, a legacy of course extensions to fit modern age equipment?

atb

PCCraig

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »
There is no doubt that long green to tee walks can at times be enjoyable, due primarily to natural surroundings. That being said, I strongly prefer very short green to tee walks on my home course. There is nothing better than the next tee being a matter of a couple of paces from the previous green.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
I am also fond of the walk from 11 green to 12 tee at Pacific Dunes, but I've been flamed for it being "too long" once or twice.  Maybe I shouldn't have put the 11th green so close to the ocean?

Why couldn't 5 tee serve double duty for both 5 and 12?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
Thomas:  There's no course I know of with more walks backward than Fazio's Galloway National.  It also has multiple long walks.  I find it the worst routed course I have ever played, especially considering it is supposed to be a "walking course."

Doug Wright

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
I am also fond of the walk from 11 green to 12 tee at Pacific Dunes, but I've been flamed for it being "too long" once or twice.  Maybe I shouldn't have put the 11th green so close to the ocean?

Tom,

I'm curious why you're "fond" of this walk.

Although I won't flame you because it doesn't enflame me, I actually don't like that walk from 11 to 12 on Pacific Dunes. Unlike every other green to tee walk on the course, it seems like a disconnect and forced. Perhaps it is leaving the coastline to trudge inland to what I think is one of the weaker holes on the course before returning to the coast for the awesome 13th.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

Tom,

I'm curious why you're "fond" of this walk.

Although I won't flame you because it doesn't enflame me, I actually don't like that walk from 11 to 12 on Pacific Dunes. Unlike every other green to tee walk on the course, it seems like a disconnect and forced. Perhaps it is leaving the coastline to trudge inland to what I think is one of the weaker holes on the course before returning to the coast for the awesome 13th.

As with the walk at Barnbougle, it makes the most of a bad situation (leaving the coastline).  You get a glimpse of people playing their tee shots on #5, and then look back down #4, taking in the view up toward Five Mile Point.  It's one of the few places where you get a sense of how the routing actually fits together.

To address Garland's question, we actually did build the back part of #5 tee originally with the intent of using it for #12, and I sometimes play it from there.  But we took it out of the loop for retail golfers for fear some of them would be tempted to play backwards up #4 instead of using the 12th fairway ... since both 12 tee and 12 green are closer to the water than 12 fairway is.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
Most of us retail golfers wouldn't dare aim it at the ocean off of the back of 5 tee for some minor perceived advantage on 12. We would have to try to miss the bunker complex on 4, which just makes it to hard compared to the width of the playing area of 12.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »
One further point: I prefer to walk, but if it becomes apparent that a course is clearly not set up for a nice walk, I will definitely take a cart. I spent too many rounds resisting taking the cart because of a commitment to walking and I eventually concluded that it was pointless. I was wearing myself out and not enjoying my day. If you're at Stone Eagle or Black Creek in Tennessee or any other course that is a seriously strenuous walk: embrace the cart as flow is maintained better that way and you can relax. Granted, one is robbed of the opportunity to burn 1300 calories (enabling one to eat more that evening), but it's for the best.

Brian,

Well said...I agree that when the street cred of walking becomes zero fun, it's ok to take a cart.
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
I played Holston Hills Saturday with my wife and was pointing out the design features to her.  I forgot how close some of the walks were:

20 paces, View from 9 tee box

20 paces, View from 16 tee box

30 paces, View from 17 tee box
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:01:28 AM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

Chris DeToro

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
This is one of my favorite design features--how the greens and collars and tees flow into each other

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Tom,

Actually, that Barnbougle walk is the wallpaper on my iPad. Really pleasant scene.

Nobody has ever accused me of "cheating" on that one.  ;)

Just made a note to make sure I enjoy it ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back