News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

New York Golf
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
I'm going to visit my son at Columbia Law School from July 17th through the 23rd. Looking for some opinions about where I should play. going to try to play Bethpage Black, but am wondering where else I should get to on my trip. Also, would love to hook up with any of your New Yorkers for a round if you don't mind playing with a crazy SoCal guy! What are the best public access options out that way?

:-)

Keith OHalloran

Re: New York Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:36 PM »
David,
iMO, the public scene on Long Island is mostly out east besides Bethpage. You could go and play Lido, they have a decent hole or two, but they also tend to have bug problems! The real problem is that the travel out to these courses, the round, and then return. Will take most of the day. Tall grass is in Wading River, about 60 miles from Manhattan and a Gil Hansen course that is a good course. From Columbia, you may be better getting some advice on courses north of the city. Of course, you can always play Van Cortland park, which was a nice surprise when I played it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
Hanse, not Hansen (mmmBOP)

David, I sent you a PM about Bethpage.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »
Nice autocorrect! I guess my new IPad does not know golf course architecture!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:43:24 AM »
Good thing Gil doesn't use an accent over the "e" or we'd really give the shivers to auto-correct. As part of our Bethpage binge this summer, we will play Tallgrass and are looking forward to it.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »
If you are staying in Manhattan you might consider some of the NJ courses.  Ballyowen is pretty well regarded.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
David,

PM sent

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
Jerry - Love ya, but I hated Ballyowen - it's the personification of why I hate CCFAD's.  If you're into history and golf, I'd head up to Rockland County and check out The Paramount Club (contact Steve Lapper).  Jim Urbana is doing work to restore this Tilly hidden gem.  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47651.0.html

Then, you can take in the lower Hudson Valley - one of the most scenic parts of our country.  Could even visit West Point, which is a very beautiful campus.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:09:48 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
Definetly second Tall Grass; the Rustic Cayon of the East! The Red at Bethpage is worth the effort also.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »
For logistics sake assuming you are in and out of JFK, try Inwood CC which is literally on the other side of the bay from JFK. Pretty sure they would take a call from your pro these days.

Weekday golf is out these days, but if you want to play Yale that Sunday (90 minutes north of Columbia), it is a possibility depending on wifey's plans.  :D

J Cabarcos

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »
David:

As one who goes to NYC frequently and finds time for rounds of golf in the metro area, this town is a mother-load of a golfing destination  (Only if the weather would be equally stunning- well that a topic for another day)  Ultimately, the lay of the land need to be divided up into trips within 25miles of midtown and those further out for the sake of calculating commuting time.  Within 25 miles, you got Bethpage Black, and the Red and Green course which should not be overlooked.  Nearby you also have Harbor Links on the North Shore of Long Island.  Further away, I heard a mention of TallGrass, which I second.  On the Jersey Side, Royce Brook is further than 25 miles but worth a day trip.  Ballyowen in North Jersey is closer to Midtown, and has a nice rolling landscape which which coming from SoCal you will be accustomed to.  In Connecticut, you got Richter Park which is always a top rated national muni. 

The following website list their top 30 NYC Metro Area Public Course.  Check it out to get a wider selection.

I would like to catch up with you and other GCA'er but I am still recovering from an ACL surgery on the L Knee and need further rehab.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »
JCabarcos...what website is that?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
The best value / closest to Columbia / accessible option for you would be Split Rock Golf Course which is at the same facility as Pelham Bay in Bronx. Unless I go to Bethpage, this is virtually the only NYC muni I play anymore.

Knoll West is semi-private but has a goofy shot gun start program so you have to call ahead.
Pound Ridge the Pete Dye course that has its price more often discussed then the course itself is also around.

J Cabarcos

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »
Per a website called Golf Guides USA, they attempt to list top 30 public access NYC Metro Area (2011).  I forgot to place the link previously.  Here it is.  It is not an end all, however it's a good start.  I'm surprise d the failed to mention LaTorrette in Staten Island or Ashbrook in Scotch Plains, NJ.

http://golfguidesusa.com/index.php/top-30

Scott Stearns

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »
If you want a new york experience and want to play the best public course-go to Bethpage.  Black first, Red second.  But this will take all day.  if you want to get back for dinner, go to New Jersey.

Barry Stern

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 11:13:47 PM »
I live up near the Columbia campus and have two recommendations.  There was a recent thread on the Links at Unionvale, up in the Poughkeepsie area.  It's a haul, about 75 minutes from the Upper West Side, but is a pleasure to play.  In my experience, the most enjoyable round when you combine the factors of distance from the UWS, quality of the course, pace of play, and price is Rivervale, just over the GW bridge and up the palisades parkway.  It is about 30 minutes from the UWS, it's in decent shape for a pubic course, and is quite a fun round.  I believe that it is a much better option than the city courses (i have not played split rock in years though).

J Cabarcos

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
I found a pretty decent and comprehensive list of NYC Metro area public tracks here...

http://golfcourses.weebly.com/new-york---metro-nyc-area.html

It is a website called the Traveling Golfer

Robert West

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »
Beyond the venture to Bethpage, if you are really trying to stay close to the Upper West Side, the Bronx's courses are the closest. Van Cortlandt Park is the oldest muni in the Country and despite it's routing being ruined by highways, it has been looking a bit better in recent years. If you can get there on a weekday you will avoid the 6 hour round, but you really should consider taking a cart. I've walked all 18 many a time but it's not a layout conducive to hoofing it. It's definitely a course for relaxing with a few beers and taking in some of the local "atmosphere". At the 9th or 10th hole you might be lucky enough for one of the "locals" to offer you a bag of balls they've gathered from the woods. Just remember he'll take half of what they say it costs and sometimes you can pick your brand... No joke a bag of Titleists for ten bucks.

Split Rock is definitely a harder test and a better layout, though without the history. It was redesigned by Trent Jones Jr. a few years back but I never really loved this course. It's long and straight and though the hardest of the Bronx courses it's just a tad uninspiring to put up with considering how many mosquitos your going to have to avoid. However, at the same facility is Pelham's original 18: Pelham Bay Golf Course. This is not a hard track by any measure, however I really think this is the most beautiful off the Bronx Golf Courses. It's certainly the most walkable and the recent renovations have made the green complexes really a sight worth seeing. It's a fun place to be. The entire time you'll just keep thinking "I'm in the Bronx...?"

If you are driving and looking for a deal, you can definitely find an online discount for Mansion Ridge up in Monroe (bout an hour...) I think that's the closest Nicklaus but it's condo golf at it's best and boring forced carry to shallow green Nicklaus "Signature" golf at it's worst. It should be well maintained. If you find a good deal online it's worth it (Rack rate is absurd and it can be an achingly long round) but only if you then go find another course to play, West Point is close by for a fun classic round, Pound Ridge is the New Pete Dye in Westchester that opened to glowing reviews. Hudson Hills is the next best in Westchester. Patriot Hills is getting good talk but I haven't played that one yet. But if you can swing it I would definitely recommend the Links at Union Vale. It was built by guys who got tired of the NYC 6 Hour round and went up where they could build a "Linksy" course. This is a golfers course. The love is there and it shows.

Marine Park a long track a long way from anything but it's a Robert Trent Jones and the trees are few and far between. This course has so much potential it's disgusting. It's a huge swath of land for this city but it hasn't been properly cared for and it seems to be falling into a swamp. It's a hard golf course for all the wrong reasons. I usually favor it's closer and much more playable Brooklyn brother Dycker Beach which is a pretty decent municipal golf course, but it's hard to recommend either to a traveler on a limited time frame. I love Dycker but only because it's closest to where I live and on a weekday it can allow 18 Holes before I really have to get back to work.

Note, all of these courses are to be avoided on a weekend. Your here to visit family and that's exactly what you should do on weekends. Golfing anywhere near the city on a Saturday has no doubt made people give up the game.

I'd say play one or two courses in the Bronx if you can (Pelham and Split Rock is certainly the easiest 36) and then head north. Jersey and Long Island are golf destinations in and of themselves. It might be worth it to plan a trip where each could be really be the focus. You can knock out a lot of worthy public access gems in Westchester/Rockland/Orange/Putnam countries which I don't think have the same potential for a golf specific trip.

Just a City kid's perspective. Have fun and mind the goose sh >:(t.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back