News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Does your buddy trip have a name?
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Mine does.

COURSENDONK!

What happens to a golfer when he has played 36 holes for several days in a row:  Coursendonk.  Now lovingly referred to as "THE DONK".

4 guys who truly enjoy being together, 3 guys who love to play golf.

What makes a Donk?  Cereal, Golf, Chicken Sandwhich, Golf, Chicken Sandwhich, Milkshake, Sleep...REPEAT.

add a Soundtrack, a silly bet, a great (or sometimes not so great) golf destination, 13 straight years and tremendous 4 very close friends and you get a Donk.

How did it originally get its name?

Okay, now tell me yours and what is the best place to go for a buddy trip?

Bart

Joe Bausch

Re: Does your buddy trip have a name?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
Mine involving some colleagues from school is simply known as the Commissioner's Cup.  Nothing fancy, but the main organizer calls himself the Commish, so the Commishioner's Cup.

Through the years we've played either at Myrtle or in central Florida.  I've had fun making some mock web articles through the years concerning some of my buds, like this one:

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/%7Ebausch/golf/espngolf.htm

and this one concerning one of my friends using one of those ERC 2 illegal drivers:

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/%7Ebausch/golf/espngolf_fritz.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Our group started with and still has three good mates from high school.  There are a few other stalwarts that we hooked up with many years back and the remaining 3 or 4 spots is filled historically by a pool of maybe 10-12 guys.  We decided to do an annual trip so as not to lose track of each like we sort of did after university.  The handicaps involved are a HUGE range and it can sometimes be a problem getting on the more picky courses.  We play for the very handsome and quite unique Torda Cup which I think is a sacred vessel once used in a Hungarian Catholic Church.  I suspect this silver along with thousands of other items were confiscated at some point by the Soviets and eventually made it back to the open market (this is probbaly the exact same story for the Buda Cup!).  Our cup is named after Torda Peter, the father of a very good friend of mine's wife.  His career in law was destroyed and he lived performing menial tasks because he refused to join the Communist Party.  The holder of the cup drinks for free on the trip so long as he drinks from the cup.  So far, we have always done trips to GB&I.  Dog gone that rascal Spangles now has the cup and will have the opportunity to defend it this weekend at Silloth, Seascale and Formby.  I think that scaliwag is headed for a practice round tomorrow at Lytham - shamelss.

I am thinking of giving our group an official name - Detroit Golfing Society because the founding members are from Detroit and two other have connections to the city.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:58:27 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »
We call ours Band Camp.  We have a great time both before and after recounting our Band Camp stories with other guys at the club.  It all started because on our inaugural trip one of my buddies had just been asked to play in a local jazz band and he brought along his clarinet to practice as their first gig was right after we arrived home.  I can't tell you the thrill when we discovered the Glen Miller Highway on our trip out to the Sand Hills of Nebraska.  With some make shift drums and the Dismal Devil's natural scat talents we always arrive to play light on our feet.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
The Last Assbender...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Changes every year...2011 is Bethpage Binge...2012 might be Long Island Lapse, if we can secure enough courses.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
A year after the "War by the Shore" Ryder Cup at Kiawah, a group of us went to Kiawah for the "Fore by the Shore."

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
Mine is Poker Weekend. Started two years after college when two of us decided we'd get the poker game together again, which we did in my two bedroom apartment with about 20 cases of beer and an understanding wife. It quickly evolved into a 4-day weekend at various golf destinations sans wives. On year 30 now.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »
They really don't like me showing up as they give me a + 26 handicap:

http://web.mac.com/brian12pme/gpi/2006_Green_Plaid_Invitational.html#10

and I have no chance of fitting in the jacket which has never been washed (or cleaned)

http://web.mac.com/brian12pme/gpi/2006_Green_Plaid_Invitational.html#0

Shane Wright

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
Four Gorsemen

Our initial trip started in 2001 in Scotland and we have been fairly successful at getting in at least one trip each year since.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »
My favorite buddy trips these days are the three annual GCA-sanctioned events, the Kings Putter out west, the Buda Cup in the UK, and the Dixie Cup in the Southeast.  There is a core group at each of these that are the buddies.   The courses are consistently good.  This to me is what makes it worthwhile ignoring the Merion threads in order to participate in my "buddy trips."

A lot more GCA'ers could participate and would have a great time while making new friends. 

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
A friend of mine and I are both a little short for our current weight. One year, we were captains of our Ryder Cup style trip, and the trip was named "The Battle of the Bulge"

David Whitmer

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:58:17 AM »
Every year 12 of us go on a trip and play a Ryder Cup-style match. One year on the way back home from the trip we stopped somewhere in Tennessee and took in a minor league baseball game. At the game was a guy who goes around to minor league parks entertaining fans. He seems to be the modern-day version of Max Patkin, the Clown Prince of Baseball. Anyway, this guy's stage name is Myron Noodleman, and there's no other way to say it: he's dressed like the biggest nerd you've ever seen.

Since we think of ourselves as a bunch of golf nerds, we decided to play every year for The Noodleman Cup. We had one made, and even emailed Myron's manager to get his permission. He said Myron was touched.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:12 AM »
Ours is called the Corn Holer (corny, I know) since the annual trip is throughout western Nebraska.  Had our 8th one last week and typically have between 12 and 20 guys.  We have a rather ugly maroon jacket in honor of the green jacket at Augusta.  It's quite large for my small frame, but I am the current holder of said prize and will cherish it until next year's outing.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »
Check your homophobia at the door.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
Roundbellies vs. Flatbellies in the Annual Spiv Cup.  Ryder Cup format with the losers buying dinner and fine wine for the winners on the final night.  The Trophy features the head of the 3-wood I snapped in anger on Bandon Trails #15 after ruining one of the best rounds of my life on #14 green.  ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Camponi

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
Ours is called the Vagina Monologue in honor of our buddy Tank who met some strange at the bar and proceeded to go with her to a play, the play was The Vagina Monologues, he loved it.

Buddies trip is known simply as "The Vagina Invitational"

Brock Peyer

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
I am not sure that I can follow that.

We have been on hiatus for a couple of years but I organize a trip for about a dozen of my friends who are all former college players or PGA Pros.  We call it the Hosel Rocket Invitational. 

Good times.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
"Boys Weekend"

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
Guyder Cup.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
credit to Brad Isaacs-----   A Bandon Las Vegas Invitational.  Usually played in September at the end of a hot, Vegas summer.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
I have heard them named..."Fred".

Golfapalooza.

Or, for some guys, "the great coverup"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
Alotian is the name of a highly rated golf course in Little Rock Arkansas and also the name of the 4 some that traveled together "A lot"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back