News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Grandfather's Board approves Coore and Crenshaw....
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
The Board of Grandfather Golf and Country Club approved the renowned golf course architecture firm of Coore and Crenshaw to assess the conditions of the club's greens and bunker complexes and to make recommendations for course improvements.

8)

Bart

Carl Johnson

Re: Grandfather's Board approves Coore and Crenshaw....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
As a North Carolinian who's played Grandfather, although to very recently, I find this interesting.  For those of you who know a lot about what C&C do and have done, (1) do they have much (or any) experience with "mountain courses," and (2) given their expertise, does it matter?

Andy Hodson

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Bart,

This is very interesting. I worked at GGCC for two summers years ago. What specifically are they looking at? Meaning is it more the back nine greens? I seem to remember being told that when it was built, money got tight as they were completing the back nine, which is why some of the greens (#15 being one) were pretty severe, as Ellis Maples wasn't on site to finish. Am I remembering this correctly?

BTW, loved taking out the bunker on 13. About time. Looks great, and I bet it plays even better.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
As a North Carolinian who's played Grandfather, although to very recently, I find this interesting.  For those of you who know a lot about what C&C do and have done, (1) do they have much (or any) experience with "mountain courses," and (2) given their expertise, does it matter?

Carl, They built Colorado GC. Also, I assume Clear Creek is mountainous terrain. Heck, their Trails course in Bandon has mountain like characteristics.
You're right it probably does not matter, as this is an existing course. Unless, they recommend drastic measures, which is doubtful.(All assumption mind you)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Andy Hodson

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
This may sound funny....but I don't consider GGCC a mountain course. Now every green, except #5 breaks away from the mountain. But there is very little elevation change. #13 drops from the tee, but not dramatically.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
Sugarloaf Mountain?
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
Sugarloaf Mountain?

At a whopping 312 feet above sea level!!! ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
Bart,
Is the current drainage work fairways only? Meaning this new consultation will be independent of that?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:01:01 PM »
Bart,
Is the current drainage work fairways only? Meaning this new consultation will be independent of that?

Ryan:

The fairway drainage project approved by the membership in 2009 was completed this May.  Yes, the consultation with Coore and Crenshaw is a new arrangement going forward.  The greens were last rebuilt in 1990 and unfortunately, that work has left us with some agronomic and playability issues that must be addressed.  We have now asked Coore and Crenshaw to evaluate the situation and provide recommendations for course improvement. 

Bart

Andy Hodson

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »
Bart,

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on the issues that need to be addressed with the greens?
Thanks

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
Bart,

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on the issues that need to be addressed with the greens?
Thanks

The major issues revolve around the construction technique used in 1990.  The "new greens" were built on top of the old greens at that time.  This has created drainage and agronomic issues that have made it difficult to keep our greens healthy.  This technique has also raised the greens a few feet from their original design intent which limits ground game options and affects some sight lines.

Bart

John Shimp

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
Bart,
Any opening up planned?  Many holes can't be changed but many could.  Thx

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
Bart,
Any opening up planned?  Many holes can't be changed but many could.  Thx

John:

Selective tree removal will continue as has been performed over the last 2 off-seasons.  The course was founded on the principle of each hole being isolated from the others.  Since it was one of the founding visions of Ms. McCrae, caution must and will be exercised in this regard.

Bart
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:12:13 PM by Bart Bradley »

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 08:33:40 PM »
Exciting times, Bart! Looks like you guys are in good hands.

John Shimp

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 07:15:41 AM »
Bart
I didn't realize she had set that principle.  Wonder how many other courses had that designed in?   Great news for a great course. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back