News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Schueneman

Re: Paging all Irish golf experts
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 10:24:05 PM »
I had not seriously considered Narin & Portnoo, but maybe that fits the bill.  We will get plenty of big dune exposure at Lahinch and Ballybunion (especially since we will almost certainly play the Cashen) and so perhaps Enniscrone is not the right choice.  N&P looks to be a very natural and remote course and might just round out the itinerary nicely.  Does anyone have any strong thoughts on Narin?

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
 I thought of joining  N/P after one play.For the value it has great variety and a few stunning holes. I like rough around the edges I must admit.
My comment after playing in Donegal the last time in Ireland was " best views on and between courses ever". Don't miss Slieve League. I drove up this slieve at 5mph and was frightened all the way. There were no barriers to protect you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:39:48 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 06:58:34 AM »
I hope you're doing the helicopter tour otherwise it sounds like way too much driving involved.  Probably better to focus on one general area of the country IMO.  Personally I'd rather spend an afternoon in the pub than hiking around the Cashen course, even if it is free, but that's for another thread...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

J Cabarcos

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
From personal experience, I agree with the consensus on this thread that your over stretching yourself on the proposed trip.  Last year, I went to Ireland, and went from Dublin to Galway to Lahinch to Belfast and back to Dublin.  That was quite a bit of driving on the other side of the road.  My experience taught me that next time around, I will either fly to Belfast or Shannon, and focus on that region.  Personally, I would go back in a heartbeat to Belfast, stay at the Merchant Hotel and have Portrush (Duneluce) RCD, Portstewart, and Ardeglass as options all within an hour of Belfast.  Alternatively, I would land in Shannon and go to Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, Waterville, etc.  Just remember, the weather is a bit dicier in the SW of Ireland, and the back roads are quite a little experience.   

When you reach Ireland, have a Bulmers/ Magners on us all from the GCA.  Enjoy the links, and not the roads.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
Classic Mayday. Trying to put someone off Enniscrone. ;)
Wade, I cannot say enough good things about Mike but on this, he is wrong!

Shane Wright

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »
From personal experience, I agree with the consensus on this thread that your over stretching yourself on the proposed trip.  Last year, I went to Ireland, and went from Dublin to Galway to Lahinch to Belfast and back to Dublin.  That was quite a bit of driving on the other side of the road.  My experience taught me that next time around, I will either fly to Belfast or Shannon, and focus on that region.  Personally, I would go back in a heartbeat to Belfast, stay at the Merchant Hotel and have Portrush (Duneluce) RCD, Portstewart, and Ardeglass as options all within an hour of Belfast.  Alternatively, I would land in Shannon and go to Ballybunion, Lahinch, Tralee, Waterville, etc.  Just remember, the weather is a bit dicier in the SW of Ireland, and the back roads are quite a little experience.  

When you reach Ireland, have a Bulmers/ Magners on us all from the GCA.  Enjoy the links, and not the roads.

J Cabarcos, no disrespect, but a Bulmers/Magners???  I didn't hear Wade mention that they were bringing their wives.  I think a Paddy's or Bushmills may be more appropriate.  ;D

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »
Shane,

How about one of those "Galway Hookers"?  They're actually quite fruity!  I am not even kidding, this is actually a beer from Galway!

Wade,

On a more serious note, Enniscrone deserves more attention then it usually gets.  Their logo is one of the ugliest in golf, but the course is quite a stunner.  You're itinerary involves quite a bit of driving, though, so Enniscrone might be out of the way for you.  If you really want to play Lahinch and Ballybunion, I would suggest playing your 1-2 round(s) around Dublin, on the way to the Shannon area from RCD.  Doonbeg is interesting, and close to Lahinch, but not nearly as good.

YP
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:36:57 PM by Yannick Pilon »
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

mike_malone

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
 Rory,

You have every right to defend the honor of Enniscrone. My point was that clustering these courses together is more enjoyable than driving a long way for only one of them. I also suggested dropping RPR for the same reason.
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »
Just having a little fun Mike.:-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back