News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Schueneman

Paging all Irish golf experts
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »
I am helping to put together a return trip to Ireland next summer and could use a bit of advice.

We are going to try to play RCD, Dunluce, Lahinch and Ballybunion.  It also appears that we might have time for another 1-2 rounds.

My initial thoughts were to pick two of the following: Enniscrone, The Island or Doonbeg (I have not palyed any of these).

Any thoughts on those courses and/or are there others that any of you really prefer? 

By the way, I like courses with lots of character and do not mind a few warts or forgetable holes.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jud_T

Re: Paging all Irish golf experts
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
Portmarnock
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
Are you flying into Dublin and leaving from Shannon?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
Are you flying into Dublin and leaving from Shannon?

Dublin or Belfast (depending on where we end up golfing) then NI and then down to the West (fly out of Shannon).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
Both Portmanock and the Island are on the way up north. The Island is more fun but Portmanock has history. Portmanock is, however, an extremely tight driving course. County Louth (Baltray) is also on the way north. It is a wonderful course. It has a dormy hous attached to the clubhouse. When you are at Portrush, I would also play the Valley course. It is on excellent terrain and wonderful fun.

It is a long hike to Lahinch from Portrush, so expect to spend some time in a car. I have not played Doonbeg but know many who have and I get mixed reviews. To be honest, I think I would play old Ballybunion twice. It takes one time around to get a feel for the course. You could also play the Cashen course, it is tough and it takes a hit on this site, but I liked it. In the area are also Tralee (wonderful back nine), Dooks (just a wonderful club and great for getting a feel for a typical Irish club), and Waterville, which I feel is overrated. 

I think I would play Dooks. It is a fine course, but spend time at the club house. It is great fun.  Then go into Dingle and out to the coast for some spectacular scenery. There is a course west of Dingle, Ceann Sibeal, but is not worth the time. The trip to it, however, is worth the trip itself.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
Some may suggest Portstewart.  It has a great front nine but a very forgettable back nine.
St. John of the Cross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »
Tommy W. says "The trip ... is worth the trip..." Is that gaelic for tautology? Can someone translate?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »
I am helping to put together a return trip to Ireland next summer and could use a bit of advice.

We are going to try to play RCD, Dunluce, Lahinch and Ballybunion.  It also appears that we might have time for another 1-2 rounds.

My initial thoughts were to pick two of the following: Enniscrone, The Island or Doonbeg (I have not palyed any of these).

Any thoughts on those courses and/or are there others that any of you really prefer?  

By the way, I like courses with lots of character and do not mind a few warts or forgetable holes.

Any help would be much appreciated!

You really don't need an expert, you need a map!
RCD, Dunluce, Ballybunion are really really far apart.
Why you would consider The Island (even farther awy) is beyond me.

But along your route,The Portrush Valley is right there as is Portstewart.
You can get in way more rounds with a lot less driving.
How about combining the courses in NI with the courses in the Northwest.

or NI with the courses in Dublin.

If you really want my advice,
play RCD, Portrush (both)
Portstuart, Castlerock(emergency nine on wild new nine),
 Ballyliffin (both), Northwest GC
Portsalon (emergency nine at Otway)
fly in and out of belfast

way less windshield time
way less tourists
better golf and more time for it (cut out what doesn't fit)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
Jeff Warne, the "wild new nine" at Castlerock, is that a redo of the small (Bann?) course?  We didn't play it but it looked like a lot of fun on my one trip north.

I agree with the thoughts that there's just too much distance to cover to try Lahinch, Ballybunion AND Portrush.   It would be a great to fly in and out of Belfast and play County Down, Ardglass, both courses at Portrush, Portstewart and Castlerock.   That in itself would be a spectacular visit.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Tommy W. says "The trip ... is worth the trip..." Is that gaelic for tautology? Can someone translate?

The drive from Dingle to the coast is worth making the entire trip to Ireland. It is one of my favorite places in Ireland.
St. John of the Cross

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
Jeff Warne, the "wild new nine" at Castlerock, is that a redo of the small (Bann?) course?  We didn't play it but it looked like a lot of fun on my one trip north.

I agree with the thoughts that there's just too much distance to cover to try Lahinch, Ballybunion AND Portrush.   It would be a great to fly in and out of Belfast and play County Down, Ardglass, both courses at Portrush, Portstewart and Castlerock.   That in itself would be a spectacular visit.

Bill,
yes that's the Bann nine.

Your itinerary is quite good-could be extended to County Louth---- and Dublin area with flight out of Dublin.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
Drop Dunluce , which will help the travel , then add a couple around Dublin like Island, Portmarnock, County Louth, or Royal Dublin before heading to RCD.  You might find it easier to go back and forth between Dublin and RCD  to make it work. Then head west. Heading to Enniscrone should only be done if you are adding Carne, Sligo, and the lovely Donegal gems.

I have travelled from Ballybunion to Dublin on a trip and it can be done after an early round so I assume you can go the other way as well.
AKA Mayday

Brent Carlson

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
Wade,

If you drive through Dublin play at Portmarnock.  It is a very solid course.

We drove through the Northwest and stayed the night in Sligo, while playing a round at Rosses Point, which was much better than expected.

Either way you are doing a lot of driving, just know that going in.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
Thank you all.  I should have disclosed that I have been to Ireland before and have made the drive from Lahinch to Portrush (with a detour through Connemara).  I think that Ireland is so beautiful that I do not mind spending some time in the car.  We were planning on breaking up the drive with a stay at Delphi Lodge in Connemara (and so Enniscrone would not be very far out of the way (unlike Carne). 

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
Wade,

I strongly encourage you to include County Louth. It is only 30-40mins north of Dublin Airport (en route to RCD). It has some lesser holes but also oodles of character, especially at the greens (some of the best greensites in all of GB&I), and candidates for the best links par three (the 5th), par four (the 14th) and par five (the 3rd) that I have ever played.

Then after your 18 or 36 (depending on when your flight arrives), you can enjoy some Guinness and stay in the Dormie House above the clubhouse before motoring up to RCD the next morning.

It's also significantly cheaper than Portmarnock and The Island, IIRC, and will give you some insight into why Tom Simpson is one of the Golden Age's most under-appreciated architects.

Ted Harris

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 02:08:17 AM »
Drop Dunluce , which will help the travel , then add a couple around Dublin like Island, Portmarnock, County Louth, or Royal Dublin before heading to RCD.  You might find it easier to go back and forth between Dublin and RCD  to make it work. Then head west. Heading to Enniscrone should only be done if you are adding Carne, Sligo, and the lovely Donegal gems.

I have travelled from Ballybunion to Dublin on a trip and it can be done after an early round so I assume you can go the other way as well.

DROP DUNLUCE ????  my suggestion would be to play Portrush more than once or RCD more than one .

If you want to have as much variety as possible -  I like both Portstewart and Castlerock in the Portrush area or stick with your own suggestion and play Enniscrone - it is a gem !!!! Narin and Portnoo is not that far out of the way either and is very scenic and wild

I see that you mentioned that you will be staying at least 1 night in Connemara - I guess the question needs to be asked but have you given any thought to playing Connemara golf links ?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 03:11:59 AM »
Wade

I'd play RCD again over another course - ain't too many days you get to play or see arguably one of the best links courses in the world.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:42 AM »
Here's the first thing:

If you are trying to reduce driving time, the quickest way from from the South-West (Lahinch & Ballybunion) to the North (Portrush) is via Dublin... The roads have been much improved that way... However the drive up the West coast is way more fun.... If you take that way, courses that would not take you off your path include County Sligo (Rosses Point) and Donegal (Murvagh)... Ballyliffin and Enniscrone are not far off the path but would add about 90 minutes all in... Carne would add 2 hours on top of that...

If you choose to play a round in the Dublin area, then your best choices are The Island, Portmarnock or County Louth (an hour North to be captured on the drive down from RCD)...

These are your choices:

Cut down driving and stay in Lahinch for an extra night (a good choice): Doonbeg
Catch a wild dune course on the road: Enniscrone, Ballyliffin (Old), Portstewart, The Island
The classics: Portmarnock, County Louth, County Sligo

Portmarnock no longer is a tight driving course (as reported above)... Depending on date, I'd be happy to meet with you in Dublin and join you for a game...

Jack_Marr

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 04:53:20 AM »

Enniscrone is a bit off your route, but it's a lovely course. A few forgettable holes, but some super ones. One of my favourite courses (although I don't have the architectural knowledge of most people here). And maybe for the same reason, I love Doonbeg. I can't understand any of the criticism it gets. It's very close to Lahinch too.

If you're going to Dublin, it's also a bit away from the courses you're playing. Dublin is about a 3-hour drive from Lahinch. If you are in Dublin anyway, your options would be The Island, Portmarnock, Portmarnock Hotel, Royal Dublin... A little further and you have Baltray to the north and The European Club to the south. Or even Arklow. The Island and Portmarnock would be my favourites there.

Or while you're in Kerry, you could play Dooks (as already mentioned), Waterville and Tralee. It's a nice drive to Waterville...
John Marr(inan)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 05:09:40 AM »
Wade,

Although the Irish countryside is nice, it would be a shame to waste so much time driving. I think Jeff's suggestion of sticking to one or two regions makes more sense. By reducing the driving to 45 minutes in morning/evening, you can guarantee you get to play 36 holes/day. You've said you've been to Ireland before, so I guess we can assume you'll travel there again in the next few years. So why try to tick off all the top tier courses, and miss out on a few hidden gems?

Donegal & NI:

RCD
Ardglass
Kirkistown (Braid design)
Malone & Belvoir Park and Royal Belfast (3 Belfast parklands)
Portrush (Dunluce & Valley)
Ballycastle
Castlerock
Portstewart
Ballyliffin (Glashedy & Old)
Northwest
Otway (surprise package)
Portsalon
Rosapenna (OTM & Sandy Hills)
Dunfanaghy (hidden gem!)
Cruit (9) & Gweedore (9)
Nairn-Portnoo
Donegal (Murvagh)

The longest drive in the above itinerary is from RCD to Portrush.

Sligo and the West:

Rosses Point
Strandhill
Enniscrone
Carne
Westport (Fred Hawtree)
Connemara

Of course you'd probably play some other courses on the way to Sligo.

East Coast & Co. Down:

The European
Wicklow
Arklow
Royal Dublin
Portmarnock GC
Portmarnock Links GC
Island
Corballis
Laytown & Bettystown (hidden gem!)
Co. Louth Baltray
RCD

Clare/Kerry:

Lahinch
Doonbeg
Ballybunion (Cashen & Old)
Tralee
Dooks
Waterville
etc.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »
Thank you all.  I should have disclosed that I have been to Ireland before and have made the drive from Lahinch to Portrush (with a detour through Connemara).  I think that Ireland is so beautiful that I do not mind spending some time in the car.  We were planning on breaking up the drive with a stay at Delphi Lodge in Connemara (and so Enniscrone would not be very far out of the way (unlike Carne). 

One thing is true, time in the car in rural Ireland is not wasted time as it is beautiful.
That said, as you're going to be in NI and as far south as lahinch, and staying in Connemara, you might as well visit Connemara (not really a favorite of mine) and also Connemara Isles a 9 hole gem on the coast west of Galway, on the way south to lahinch.

Courses not too far out of your way(in addition to the ones postec above) include Enniscrone, Sligo, Donegal, Narin and Portnoo(highly recommended but the most out of the way)

I'd still stick with Donal's advice and hit one or two areas more intensely

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »

Enniscrone is a bit off your route, but it's a lovely course. A few forgettable holes, but some super ones. One of my favourite courses (although I don't have the architectural knowledge of most people here). And maybe for the same reason, I love Doonbeg. I can't understand any of the criticism it gets. It's very close to Lahinch too.

So here is what I do not understand.  Jim Finegan and Darius Oliver rave about Doonbeg, but I have heard very few good rvies about it on this site.  I know it used to be too hard and too expensive, but I was thinking that that was no longer the case. 

As far as Enniscrone is concerned, I have played Machrihanish and The Machrie, and while I loved both, I think I preffered the rugged and isolated feeling of being at The Machrie (and yes, Machrihanish is fairly remote itself).  Just being at The Machrie and walking through and over those dunes was very special to me.  Since we plan on playing Ballybunion Old and Cashen and Lahinch we will be seeing some great big dune courses.  However, Enniscrone (though clearly located close to the town) seems to have a more intimate, isolated feel (at least the holes through the massive dunes on the penninsula).  I know that Carne is really remote, but I think that is just too far out of the way.

Also, I do not think that we will play 36 holes any day (except at Ballybunion since we can grab a cart on the Cashen - and though I generally like to walk, that course looks VERY hard to walk).  I find it diffuclt to walk 36 in high winds (and I live in Georgia and walk in humid 100 degree weather in the summer).  I am simply not used to links conditions.

I am pushing for our group to play 27 at RCD (front nine twice) as it is my favorite 9 in the world (back at TOC is pretty good as well).
I am considering a similar strategy at Portrush (which has another great front 9).

I think that we would also consider just playing Ballybunion Old or Lahinch again, but my though is that it would be nice to see another course or two UNLESS there are no other courses even near that same league in Ireland.

Again, I thank you all for for time and insight.  I cannot pop over the pond very often (and I still need to get over to England) so I might not get back to Ireland for a decade (and thus I would love to get as much out of this trip as possible).

Ted Harris

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:25 AM »
Wade,

It seems that you want to play a couple of courses with a remote feel that are built upon rugged terrain.

Well the dunes at Enniscrone and Narin and Portnoo (especially isolated and remote) should be considered then. Rosapenna Sandy Hills might also be considered (slightly out of the way) but it does have a feel of isolation as most holes are separated by large dunes and other players are rarely seen.

The back nine at Tralee has large sand dunes with a feel of isolation

Connemara although mostly flat terrain really has an end of the world feel to it - same with Dingle Golf Links

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
I'd second the recommendation to try to get Baltray into the mix if possible...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Evan_Smith

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
There are a ton of great suggestions on here, but if you're looking for remote (and beautiful) head to Co. Donegal and play Rossapenna and Portsalon.  Even though I haven't seen it, my Dad said Cruit Island was great and Nairn and Portnoo had the best views of any course he's ever played.  Wherever you end up playing in Ireland it will be great.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back