News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Without any commentary from the photographer, I'm going to let each hole simmer...

Hole # 1: Par Five...585/550/470
From The Tee:

Rumpled Fairway

Looking Back from Left Side of Green

From Above the Green

Hole # 2: Par 4...475/425/310
From The Tee

From The Right Rough

Hole # 3: Par 3...180/160/90
From the Rear of Tee

From the Front of Tee
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:56:58 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Brock Peyer

Re: Zero My Hero...Photo Tour of Renaissance Park in Charlotte, N.C.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
I think that I have played there?  Was it built on a land fill?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
It was built on a land fill. They warn you in the clubhouse to not leave anything of value exposed in your car. Interesting section of town, as with Carolina G&CC, a private track on the other side of town.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
Hole # 4: Par 5...525/500/450
From Tee Deck

From Fairway

From 150-Yard Pole

From Behind Green

Hole # 5: Par 3...195/180/110

Hole # 6: Par 4...455/415/355
From Fairway

Hole # 7: Par 4...560/430/380
From Tee Deck

From Fairway

Hole # 8: Par 4...345/335/250
From Tee

From Fairway
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:27:15 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
Doesn't look like a zero.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »
Looks pretty good so far....

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
Looks pretty good so far....
Yes, I agree.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »
"Built on top of a reclaimed landfill and bisected by high voltage power lines, this municipal course is one of the most unappealing sites for golf this side of Seaton, Carew, England. Nevertheless, they're lining up to play it."

more to come...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »
It got a little rainy this day...I was driving the course, not even playing it, so shots are sparse.

Hole # 9: Par 4...445/380/255

From the Tee Deck-Green In Distance Upper Left

Hole # 10: Par 4...435/400/310

From The Fairway

Hole # 11: Par 3...200/150/110

Hole # 12: Par 4...420/390/280

From The Tee

From The Fairway

Hole # 13: Par 3...220/200/120

From Upper Right Back Tee

Hole # 14: Par 5...530/500/460

From The Tee

From Fairway

From Fairway Left Side Near Green

From Behind Green Across Water

Hole # 15: Par 4...445/405/325

From Behind Green
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ed Oden

Renaissance Park probably isn't a zero.  But it's not for lack of effort.

Chris Flamion

I'm not seeing one thing that makes me not want to play it, including the power lines.

Ed Oden

I'm not seeing one thing that makes me not want to play it, including the power lines.

If you play it, I'm pretty sure that will change.

Sean_A

The course looks an alright cheap and cheerful solution for those not wanting to spend a lot of dosh for golf.  Is there a lot of hiking up to tees?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ronald Montesano

Hole # 16: Par 5...575/495/405
From The Upper Tee Deck

From Left Edge Of Fairway

From Rough Short Of Hazard, Left Of Fairway

Hole # 17: Par 4...430/395/285
From The Upper Tee Deck

Weird Rocks Right Of Fairway Near Green

Hole # 18: Par 4...440/420/350
From Fairway Crest

From Closer To Green

From Behind Green
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Kalen Braley

Call me crazy, but this course seems to look pretty fun by my eye...as it appears to have a lot of quirk.

While there appears to be a few clunker holes out there, all and all, i'd say it looks a helluva lot more interesting than the local joe blow muni.  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:47:52 PM by Kalen Braley »

Adrian_Stiff

Kalen I tend to agree. Think a lot of my friends would call this a good course rather a bad one. I would like to know if Tom Doak still thinks this is a zero or if he thinks he may of made a mistake, he must have visted say twenty years ago, perhaps it is better now....it got me thinking that if I was the owner of this course and someone made the sort of remarks publically that a Doak zero means, I would want that persons balls on a hot tray and roasted.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Carl Nichols

I am.  The 18th hole looks really lame.

Greg Tallman

Was this course formerly known as Highland Hills or Hyland Hills or Hyland Park?

Chris Flamion

18 looks like a junker, but most of the rest looks playable?

George Freeman

Up until hole #12, things were looking really good!  I like the openness of holes #1-11 and the movement in the land.  There are some pretty interesting green complexes in those first 11.  #1, #4, #6, #7, and #10 all look pretty interesting!

From 12 onward, it looks like they did a complete 180 in design philosophy (or didn't have tree clearing in the budget).  Too bad...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:36:07 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Greg Ross

One of the cool things about Renaissance is when you get back to the 14th hole or so, the property bumps up against the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police training facility. Just as you're ready to hit your second shot, a helicopter will fly by with an officer hanging from a rope. Not sure who is having more fun at that point.
It's all about the fellowship.

Carl Johnson

I've played Renaissance (the name from day one) any number of times over the years, although probably not in the past three.  I would not call it a zero, but then who am I to judge?  It is a low-budget, relatively low cost muni.  It has always suffered from maintenance and conditioning problems.  The front nine was built over a landfill (the contents of which pop up from time to time), and the back nine on an adjacent wooded tract.  There are spots where "tree work" has always been needed, expecially off the tee on number 17.  By the way, the "weird rocks" to the right of the no. 17 fairway were originally scattered throughout the tee ball landing area in the middle of the fairway.  Go figure.  A redo 10 years ago or so (please don't hold me to this date) resulted in their relocation off to the right, and made a number of other badly needed "correctiions" to the original design.  My guess is that the "zero" rating was assigned to the course before the redo.  Still, before the redo I am not sure I'd put it as low as a zero, but it could have been a 0.8, or maybe a 1.8!  Numbers one, eight, 16 and 17 were complete disasters.  Fifteen was close to a disaster.  Others, too, were close.  Eight was a 90 degree dogleg left that required a driver over a ravine that the average player could not carry.  Now the tee has been moved across the ravine, making the hole a very short par four.  In my opinion the tee should have been moved up further and the hole played as a longish par three.  What else?  Eighteen is probably not a very good finishing hole.  Note that the green is in an amphitheater setting, with a hill around the back.  The original idea was that this would be a grassy hillside on which thousands of spectators could watch the finish of a major tournament(s) of some sort.  That never happened.  About ten or so years ago, maybe providing the opportunity for the course redo as well, the course had to be closed for a year or so because methane was seeping from the landfill into the clubhouse.  I don't think the trecks to the back tees would be a problem, though I've never played them.  Ron's photos are great, but of course there is no substitute for playing the course itself.  I think I'll try it again this summer.

Another muni I definitely want to try is the nine hole Charles Sifford Course near downtown Charlotte.  Years ago it was Bonnie Brae (18 holes), and then became nine.  Somewhere in there the name changed to Revolution.  The Sifford name is about a month old.  Sifford was born and raished in Charlotte, learning his golf as caddie at Carolina Golf Club.  I understand he has now moved back to Charlotte from the midwest.  Very recently the Revolution course and practice areas were redone in connection with changing it to the home of a First Tee program, and it was officially renamed the "Dr Charles L. Sifford Golf Course at Revolution Park."  Recently I took them a load of golf balls and had a quick look at holes 1 and 9.  I was told the course still had serious maintenance issues.  However, as a low cost, "starter course" in a lower income, mostly "minority" neighborhood, it's a golf asset to Charlotte.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:59:55 AM by Carl Johnson »

Bruce Wellmon

Carl,
      When I played junior high and high school golf in Charlotte, class of '76, West Meck, this course did not exist. Revolution did, right off 77, if I recall. The true zero's were Gaston Municipal and Sunset Hills, home of my junior high school team. Those were the days.
Cedarwood, Pawtucket, River Hills, Pine Island. And then the sectionals at Gaston Municipal. 

Carl Johnson

Carl,
      When I played junior high and high school golf in Charlotte, class of '76, West Meck, this course did not exist. Revolution did, right off 77, if I recall. The true zero's were Gaston Municipal and Sunset Hills, home of my junior high school team. Those were the days.
Cedarwood, Pawtucket, River Hills, Pine Island. And then the sectionals at Gaston Municipal. 

Bruce, you're right about the location of "Revolution."  I just added something about it above.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back