News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Sponcia

“Never plant large trees closer than 75 feet from a green or tee, because they will become serious competitors for available water and nutrients.  Most individuals are under the mistaken impression that tree roots cannot extend outward from the trunk further than the drip line of the tree.  In reality, tree roots can extend outward from the tree trunk approximately one to one and a half times the total height of the tree”. - American Society of Golf Course Architects
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

Brad Treadwell

“Never plant large trees closer than 75 feet from a green or tee, because they will become serious competitors for available water and nutrients.  Most individuals are under the mistaken impression that tree roots cannot extend outward from the trunk further than the drip line of the tree.  In reality, tree roots can extend outward from the tree trunk approximately one to one and a half times the total height of the tree”. - American Society of Golf Course Architects
+1

Kyle Harris

Some of the more clever tree uses near greens come from Mr. William Flynn.

Not only did he almost master their use as a strategic hazard, he also recognized that planting to the Southwest gave Bentgrass some much sought after afternoon shade during the summer months.

I like that.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jeff_Brauer

Some of the more clever tree uses near greens come from Mr. William Flynn.

Not only did he almost master their use as a strategic hazard, he also recognized that planting to the Southwest gave Bentgrass some much sought after afternoon shade during the summer months.

I like that.

Its more likely it gives the turf the all important morning sun, although afternoon shade isn't bad either.

Trees are in fact great competitors for soil moisture.  I find it funny that many locales are limiting turf to save water, but require sometimes massive tree plantings in the same code, when trees use more water than turf......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Thomas Dai

"..plant...." is important in this context. What also needs to be considered is cutting down anything that decides to grow of it's own accord before it develops into a feature that then becomes politically difficult and costly to remove.
Atb

Joey Chase

I personally despise any set parameters, ie; no tree planting 75 feet from a green or whatever the ASGCA norm that was stated above.  These sort of norms are inhibiting when it relates to golf course design and more importantly, variety.  Sure you don't want to plant large trees near a greensite, but are we seriously pacing off 75 feet?  Also, if the tree is on the outside of that bunker is it any less egregious?  Will the roots not grow through the path/bunker/green anyway aka; the reverse triple play?  I agree with Jon Wiggett, take into context it's relation to the hole and the playing characteristics it presents as well as the agronomic problems it may or may not create.  It looks as though the photo is taken from the far left side of the green complex in the rough.  I may be mistaken, but how much does it affect play unless you are truly out of position on the hole?

I worked with an older shaper that told me our green was too big on the particular par 5 we were building.  He insisted that any par 5 under 525 yards needed to have a 5000 sq. ft. green or it would be too easy and then proceeded to lecture me on green sizes in relation to hole length.  I have never forgotten that and will not be told what are the set parameters in any way, it is contrary to interesting, creative design.  Also, I kinda like the look of the bunker. ;)

However, to contradict myself, I do remember the small pot bunker on the 9th hole at Valderrama having a large Cork Oak in it and the absurdity of it.  If I can remember how to post a pic on here I will. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back