News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Dalzell

Royal Portrush Gets Irish Open !
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
Early word that Royal Portrush has been identified as the confirmed site of the 2013 Irish Open on the European Tour.....this is part of the process to try and bring The Open back to the Dunluce Links. Man would that be awesome!

Great news, thought I would share it.

Sincerely,
Ian

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Royal Portrush Gets Irish Open !
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
I wonder if it is part of the process. I do not see it happening till the civil unrest issues are settled.

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
I would agree it is an enormous uphill battle, but Darren, Rory and G-Mac are trying to work it as hard as they can to make it happen.  I think today it stands about a 30% chance, but 2-years ago that was probably as small as a 5% chance. 

Course is as good if not better than some others on the rota, but as we all know it is the infrastructure surrounding the course- roadways, hotel beds and the like that drive these decisions.

As Irish we can always hope for Luck...... ;D

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:20:52 PM »
Do they play the Irish Open the week after The Open? If yes, maybe that would keep many of the world's top players in the area. I would LOVE to see them play Portrush, which I judge to be one of the hardest courses in the world, assuming the wind is up.

It probably would be best if that event led up to the Open...

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
It would add a classic course to a tour schedule that is otherwise dominated by undistinguished courses.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
I heard the R & A hope to award the 2018 Open back to Portrush, 2016 is probably going back to Troon then Birkdale.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Policano

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »
Ian,

How many fans do you think Portrush can handle on a daily basis?

Cheers, Mike

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »
I wonder if it is part of the process. I do not see it happening till the civil unrest issues are settled.

I feel a lot safer in Northern Ireland than I would in most British/ American City's.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:34:41 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
Mike
good to hear from you, hope all is going well at your club.

To answer your question simply, probably more than Merion can hold!

Seriously, the surrounding area at portrush is not much different than Turnberry or Muirfield, and with the other 18 holes there to accommodate the tents etc. I think the club can handle it. I would imagine it is the number of available beds that could be a problem, but I guess construction could begin as soon as the announcement is made!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
Mike
good to hear from you, hope all is going well at your club.

To answer your question simply, probably more than Merion can hold!

Seriously, the surrounding area at portrush is not much different than Turnberry or Muirfield, and with the other 18 holes there to accommodate the tents etc. I think the club can handle it. I would imagine it is the number of available beds that could be a problem, but I guess construction could begin as soon as the announcement is made!

Ian, what would happen to all the elderly accommodation once the Open was over?   Portrush certainly doesn't need more lodging day in and day out than they already have, right?

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
Bill
I think that is a valid point, much like what happens to these mega-villages they create for the Winter or summer Olympics for a one-and-done event.  I guess there would need to be compelling evidence that it would not be a one-and-done type of event, and they could probably gain from a regular Irish Open slot in the Euro Tour schedule.

Certainly food for thought, but again, I always compare it to Turnberry which is equally quiet the other 51 weeks of the year!

Happy Turkey Day to all.

Ian

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
Ian,

All I've heard is that there is a political will to get a major golf tournament back to Portrush in 2013... No mention if the Euro Tour actually will bend to this will... So by no means confirmed...

Unless you know different?...

Ally

Tom Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:26 PM »
If the Irish commited to playing the Irish Open over a links of which they have plenty of outstanding ones surely the European tour could re-jig their schedule so it was played in the weeks leading up the Open.

Imagine three weeks of golf in a row played on world class links courses;

-Irish Open at Portrush or RCD or Ballybunion etc etc wherever has the infrastructure to hold a tour event

-Scottish Open at Castle Stuart

-The Open

The Irish Open would surely attract more big names that way and getting more links golf on the schedule and especially TV can only be a good thing.

I am sure there are a few course in Ireland that wouldn't be too happy about them only using links courses but I am sure the European Tour wouldn't mind too much if it led to better players coming over for the event to get some links practice in.

Ian Dalzell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
The problem with the Irish and Scottish Opens going to links courses is that it is very sponsor controlled so if they say they want it at the K club thats where it goes. In theory though great idea to have 3 links courses in a row. The R & A dont like seeing Open rota courses stage other events either, there was quite a hoo-ha a few years ago when Turnberry were going to stage a ET, the R & A threaten to remove Turnberry from the rota.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
It would be wonderful to see the Open in Northern Ireland again.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 05:01:11 AM »
The problem with the Irish and Scottish Opens going to links courses is that it is very sponsor controlled so if they say they want it at the K club thats where it goes. In theory though great idea to have 3 links courses in a row. The R & A dont like seeing Open rota courses stage other events either, there was quite a hoo-ha a few years ago when Turnberry were going to stage a ET, the R & A threaten to remove Turnberry from the rota.

Adrian,

Next year's Irish Open has been moved to the last weekend in June. Still a lot of uncertainty as there's still no sponsor and no confirmation of Killarney as a venue yet. As the prize money decreases, the shuffling of its position in the ET schedule will continue. It is now a very minor tournament that very much relies on the loyalty of Clarke, Harrington, GMac and McIlroy. There are doubts that McIlroy will take part next year as the AT&T returns to Congressional (scene of his US Open triumph) the same week.

The Northern Ireland economy hasn't been affected by the financial crisis in the same way the south has, but for some reason there's no big company in the north willing to sponsor an event in the north.

I'm not sure the typical Irish golfer wants to see it played at a links course anyway. The Irish golfing public are probably no different to the general golfing public in other countries. They are more impressed with lakes, perfectly manicured fairways and flower beds.  :'(

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 05:17:31 AM »
Apologies for the self-promotion... I wrote this for Golf Digest Ireland in Feb'11... Entitled "Why don't the pros play more links golf?"

You cannot have a full appreciation of golf course architecture without being entwined in a long-term love affair with the links courses that the game started on. Almost every modern design has a genealogy that can be traced back to those early seaside layouts, to be found in the mounding that imitates dune formations, bunkers that ape the open scars of sand created by the wind or contours that mimic the unpredictable roll of the land.

Any Irish golfer should consider himself blessed that twenty percent of the world’s links courses belong to these shores. Tourists travel from far and wide to play them and although the first taste can prove frustrating for some, all leave knowing that they have come one step closer to the origins of the sport.

I am continually bewildered therefore at the almost complete absence of links golf played on the elite pro-tours. The European Tour in particular appears to be missing a trick by not taking advantage of the great variety of courses afforded to it.  As a spectator, what I’d be keen to see is a mini-links tour within the tour, played out over one month in the middle of the summer. The skeleton of the structure is already in place with The Open Championship which will this year be held at Sandwich from July 14th to 17th.

In addition, the tournament that is played out immediately prior to The British Open is The Scottish Open which has been housed for the past fifteen years at Loch Lomond, an undeniably beautiful setting but an American style parkland design that does not reflect the first thoughts we have when picturing great Scottish courses. In a refreshing move for 2011, the powers that be sought to take the tournament back to the coast, eventually choosing the new venue at Castle Stuart near Inverness, one of a handful of high quality new links courses in Scotland that together form conclusive proof that seaside golf is as much a part of the future as of the past.

With two championships already in place for our mini-links tour, all we need are two more and the logical third pick is The Irish Open, ideally to be held (with some juggling of various calendars) during the week before its Scottish equivalent. Portmarnock would be a leading candidate, as it should have been for the Ryder Cup held in 2006, but there is a plenitude of other courses with suitable length, challenge and close by amenities that could also host the top professionals.

The fourth and final piece of the puzzle would likely be The Dutch Open. We normally don’t associate the stereotypical flat, Dutch landscape with suitable golfing ground; but that is to neglect the thin stretch of heaving, rolling links land that resides on its North coast. Nestled amongst these sand hills are three of the best courses to be found on the continent, each easily capable of testing the tour pros on their day. Indeed, the Harry Colt designed Kennemer has done just that on many previous occasions. This tournament could be earmarked for the week after The British Open, providing a climax to our mini-tour and setting the scene for the “Links Champion of the Year” to be crowned.

So there we have it. It sounds so sensible that we have to question why this cosy little party hasn’t been implemented already. Calendar difficulties aside, the main thing we need to consider is whether the pros themselves would actually buy into it? The flippant response to this question would be “Does it matter?” There was a time when it would have been a fallacy to think that professional golfers could have a say in the scheduling of the tournaments that paid their wages. This is clearly not the case in the modern game where the elite players have minutely detailed plans laid out to ensure peak physical and mental fitness for the biggest competitions. More to the point, links golf is anathema to many of today’s pampered pros who have honed their game on a production line style of tour course that plays host to them week in, week out. When you hear a pro moan that he doesn’t like links golf because the wind plays havoc with his swing, then you know that the wiring that once connected him to golf’s grass roots has short-circuited somewhere along the line. Nevertheless, the celebrity draw that the world’s top players provide for sponsors and money spinners alike cannot be neglected and it is for that reason that a mini-links tour is less likely to occur in practice than in theory.

For any lover of golf course architecture this is a real shame, but it can take surprisingly little to instigate a culture change and if the tour and their sponsors decided to market it in the correct way then undoubtedly something could be worked out. It would offer a welcome change of pace, a unique selling point to world golf and a reminder that we amateurs aren’t playing and enjoying a completely different sport to those privileged paid few.

Mike Policano

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
Ian,

All is well amd progressimg nicely. It will be good to The Irish Open at Portrush.

Ally,

Very nice piece.

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back