News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

STRANAHAN COURSE OUTING June or July?????
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:06:10 AM »
I am happy to organize a group for Adrian Stiff's Stranahan Course (one of the courses at http://www.theplayersgolfclub.com/matt/index.html) near Bristol.  I don't know what the green fee is for a weekend game, but its not expensive.  Ben Stephens thinks the course is very well done and topping out at under 6000 yards with a sub 70 par this is sure to be a fun round.  Anyway, anybody interested in playing and if so on which dates?  I have several weekends in the near future that work. Pick a few below and lets see if we can't get a 4ball organized. 

4/5 June
11/12 June
25/26 June
2/3 July
9/10 July

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Warren

Re: STRANAHAN COURSE OUTING June or July?????
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:43 AM »
Sean,

Do I guess correctly that you're at Silloth the weekend of the 19th?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Sean - You could easily do The Stranahan mid morning, spot of lunch then go to Cumberwell for that 9 in the afternoon. Cost wise will be zero, the July dates are better as we are busy in early June with Club champs and stuff. Ben has some pictures, there may even be a thread somewhere.

Ciao
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Stephens

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
Sean - You could easily do The Stranahan mid morning, spot of lunch then go to Cumberwell for that 9 in the afternoon. Cost wise will be zero, the July dates are better as we are busy in early June with Club champs and stuff. Ben has some pictures, there may even be a thread somewhere.

Ciao

Pics of Stranahan during construction and growing in - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41630.0.html

Cheers
Ben

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
Hi Adrian,

The shaping and style of the Stranahan looks very different to that of the Codrington course. Was this a deliberate decision for the site / club / consumers (given the different market the course is probably aimed at)?... Or do you think it is just your design style evolving in general?

Looks like fun... Hope to see it someday soon...

Ally

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »
Ally - I have always loved Painswick and the abruptness of those features and links golf too but my five years or so on this site has definetly educated me and I have never felt more inspired to want to build another course than at the moment, sjame about the market situation.
It was a great opportunity to build a sister course, with the main one we lost a lot of members mainly because it was too hard, a shorter members type course has helped us to keep higher handicappers. It has lots of fans because its easy and the greens are fun and it has a band that see it too short and enjoy 7000 yard golf. It is impossible to please everyone.
The Stranahan is about 5500 yards, it has 7 par 3 holes, you can probably build a 7 par 3 holes in 7 acres, its 75 acres in total. I tried a few different things in the construction process and whilst the greens are USGA spec, I kept the sandpro off them or at least did it myself, that got quite a bumpy effect on the greens, I think most on this site will like the greens.
I think there is a blend between the two courses, the Stranahan holes nearer the Codrington are less oblique and match more to the Codrington.
You are of course very welcome any time.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

Re: STRANAHAN COURSE OUTING June or July????? New
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
Sean,

Do I guess correctly that you're at Silloth the weekend of the 19th?

Scott

You "guess" correctly.  Remind me again of our bet which I am sure is written in one of ledgers of life.  

Now, can't we even get a few guys to leave their home county for a game of golf on what is sure to be an interesting design?  Shameful, the lot of ya.  Maybe I need to move Philly or import some of those hardy souls to England.

Date selected.  See http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48367.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:06:30 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back