News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Johnson

Re: Poa Annua Eradication Success Stories - Are There Any?
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Here's some more reading on the choice of Fescue at Chambers Bay.

http://aggca.blogspot.com/2015/06/fescue-folliesnot-best-choice-for-greens.html

Cheers

the blogger might want to fact-check and do a little more research.  Just sayin'

Pete Wendt

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »
John Kirk,

Long time no see.  I hope you are well.  I haven't read through the entire thread, but yes we were able to keep Kinloch virtually poa free on greens, tees, and fairways for a couple of reasons.  1.  It was a brand new, virgin property in 1999 when we built the golf course.  2.  We used newer (at the time) grasses that have more plants per square inch, and can help fight the pressure of poa.  3. From day one, we were on a  very strong growth regulator program (Trimmit mostly) to help fight off any poa annua.  4.  It is hot as hell in Richmond in the summertime. Poa hates hot! Put Kinloch in Bandon Oregon, or Monterey California, and the story has a different ending.  There was not a lot of picking necessary. 

Now if you want me to rant about grass, here we go.  I personally have played very few fescue greens in the US that i liked.  (In my eyes.)  This is not a knock on the Superintendent of any of these properties, I just feel like certain grasses want to grow in certain climates.  Let the poa take over the fescue greens. I would much rather putt on a poa green than a mixed poa/fescue green.  I have played at places that have fought and fought to keep fescue greens, and most of them I found were not fun to putt. With that said, new products could revolutionize greens management giving many  clubs the opportunity to keep bent greens clean(er).   Pure poa is better than mixed bent/poa.  Pure bentgrass is better than mixed bent/poa.  Some of the best greens I have ever putted on were pure poa annua greens.  Mixed bent/poa stands in February on tv are a Superintendent's nightmare thanks to Johnny Miller.  Bentgrass is nice, crabgrass is not.  Common bermuda is impossible to kill.  We are Penn State - Gotta go, the game is on.

CStrange

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
Here's some more reading on the choice of Fescue at Chambers Bay.

http://aggca.blogspot.com/2015/06/fescue-folliesnot-best-choice-for-greens.html

Cheers

the blogger might want to fact-check and do a little more research.  Just sayin'

There is very little opinion being spewed in that particular post.  What would you dispute as fact?

Cheers

John Kirk

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
Oh good grief.  I should have never mentioned Chambers Bay in this thread.  My fault.  It's becoming difficult to make critical (not negative, but analytical) comments about courses without fanning a bit of discontent.

Therefore, I'm going to double down on my comments a bit.

You have to understand that close up, the Open greens were in phenomenal shape.  They were very firm, smooth and dense with plants.  As a spectator, the course looked absolutely divine.  It was only up very close, or under the microscope of the modern TV camera, that the greens showed their imperfection.

Ballyneal is another high profile inland course built around the same time with a mix of fescue and other grasses.  I also had Ballyneal in mind when I wrote the offending post.  The point of my post was to say that, in my opinion, the practice of seeding new greens with a variety of grasses did not work very well, and for greens in a region where Poa annua is dominant, bentgrass probably makes a better initial grass for greens.

But what the hell do I know?  I'm just a hobbyist.  Both Chambers Bay and Ballyneal have challenging environments in different ways.  Again, sorry if I have offended.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back