News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cody Carroll

Adena Country Club Ocala, FL
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
           For any members that live in the Ocala area I was wondering if anyone has heard about Adena country club lately? I remember hearing about it a couple years ago and the FSGA has a junior tournament scheduled there in November but there is no website nor has there been any rumors of it opening. It looks like it will be the next Black Diamond; a lot of eye candy and no real architectural merit but all the same it looks really cool.

Thanks!

Cody Carroll

Bill_McBride

Re: Adena Country Club Ocala, FL
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
Cody, hope you are having a good season as well as studying golf course architecture.  Good luck in Ocala!

K Rafkin

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
One of my friends informed me that he just joined so i assume its open, despite the lack of press.  It appears as though its one of those courses people will be quick to judge because the bunkers don't have frilly edges.

From what i can tell from the pictures he sent me, the site takes advantage of an old quarry and provides a good bit more elevation gain/loss than you would of a typical Florida course.  It also appears the course goes back and forth between a treeless and open area around the quarry and, a treed in seemingly claustrophobic series of holes.  I was able to find a short youtube video if you want to take a better look, and if i can figure out how to post pictures ill get those up sometime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z97fNKvW18

Daniel Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
Cody...I've watched Adena being built over the last several years, but have yet to step inside the gates. I can tell you they are open for play, but I don't believe their "grand opening" has happened yet. You might reach out to their head pro, John Reger, if you're looking to see it first hand.

And then look me up and we'll visit Ocala Golf Club, which I have no doubt you'll enjoy. 8)

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
One of my friends informed me that he just joined so i assume its open, despite the lack of press.  It appears as though its one of those courses people will be quick to judge because the bunkers don't have frilly edges.

From what i can tell from the pictures he sent me, the site takes advantage of an old quarry and provides a good bit more elevation gain/loss than you would of a typical Florida course.  It also appears the course goes back and forth between a treeless and open area around the quarry and, a treed in seemingly claustrophobic series of holes.  I was able to find a short youtube video if you want to take a better look, and if i can figure out how to post pictures ill get those up sometime soon.

The most interesting part of that video is the video that follows after . (it appears right agter the Adena clip)
a chilling reminder that even a great course with the wrong business plan can go wrong.
Those of you who have played there may find it interesting-the video is not what you might think though and be warned it could be a bit depressing and takes an odd turn at the end.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

The most interesting part of that video is the video that follows after . (it appears right agter the Adena clip)
a chilling reminder that even a great course with the wrong business plan can go wrong.
Those of you who have played there may find it interesting-the video is not what you might think though and be warned it could be a bit depressing and takes an odd turn at the end.

A different video follows each play on rotation. I am guessing you are referring to the one with skateboarders.
Raynor was a hack

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
I also watched the course being built and I have done a number of drive bys. I can't really tell much from what I have seen so far.  Last month watching the British Senior Open, I noticed Champion Marco Dawson was wearing an Adena logo cap.
Raynor was a hack

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »

A different video follows each play on rotation. I am guessing you are referring to the one with skateboarders.

That's the one
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
Looks like it would have been good to be the fountain salesman.

Cody Carroll

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »

Actually I have played Ocala Golf Club once. I really did like it! It pleasantly surprised me. Not only was it a well designed course it was in really good shape as well!

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:39:35 PM »

Actually I have played Ocala Golf Club once. I really did like it! It pleasantly surprised me. Not only was it a well designed course it was in really good shape as well!

Cody,

You have good taste
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:53:28 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Michael Miller

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »
I hope to play it soon. Glad to hear an initial positive report.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »

If I were to rush to judgement, I would be more swayed by the billionaire owner/designer's tastes for things like a 747 yard par 5, hanging trees affecting tee shots, and waterfalls. 

Rees Milikin

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
I've played it, not sure if I would care to play it again.  However, I did enjoy some of the par 4's, but the others left a lot to be desired.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
Cody, please post a review after your tournament.  Good luck, play well. 

Cody Carroll

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »
Cody, please post a review after your tournament.  Good luck, play well. 

I actually called and I am playing a practice round there tomorrow! I'll be sure to post some pics. I checked it out on google earth and there a couple goofy golf holes but looks like a fun course to play. There was a par 4 though with a corridor the width of a bowling lane :( . It should be fun though!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back