News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

The 10th is a classic short par 4 (285meters/312 yards). On the tee you will have aspirations of birdie (or better!), but soon you may be kicking yourself after making a 5 (or worse!).

Players can bomb drives over the menacing bunker to reach the green in one or play out to the right with shorter clubs. The day’s wind will play a pivotal role in this decision, as will the outcome of previous attempts impressed upon one’s psyche.

Recovery shots from the Sarlac Pit (not its actual name) are almost as difficult as the climb down into it.

Drives that carry the bunker but fail to reach the green should still be in a decent position, unless a bush swallows the ball and forces a dreary march back to the tee. The earth falls away long and right of the green.

From beyond the green, the multitude of testing second shots may leave one longing for a full wedge from the fairway.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

George Freeman

Thanks for the awesome photo tour Kyle.  RM looks like a very special place.

In looking at the pictures of the 10th, it appears that the dangers around the green far outway the potential reward.  It seems like a very exacting shot, especially with a driver in hand and firm/fast turf.  Is going at the green a viable option?  It looks like a lost ball and/or double bogey or higher would be in the cards unless you can land a driver on a smallish hard green from 300 yards...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kyle Henderson

Thanks for the awesome photo tour Kyle.  RM looks like a very special place.

In looking at the pictures of the 10th, it appears that the dangers around the green far outway the potential reward.  It seems like a very exacting shot, especially with a driver in hand and firm/fast turf.  Is going at the green a viable option?  It looks like a lost ball and/or double bogey or higher would be in the cards unless you can land a driver on a smallish hard green from 300 yards...

Thanks, George.  The enthusiastic commentary inspired by this thread is most gratifying.

I would agree that the prospects of holding the green with a driver are quite slim, unless one hits 'em 350 and has a headwind. I think the strategy involves choosing the desired angle of the approach/recovery shot from just off the green vs. a longer (full) shot from short and right. Personally, I would mostly hit 3 irons and wedges most of the time unless I was on my game -- with the wind I might try to curl a draw around the right side of the pit and see where it ended up, just for kicks.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill Brightly

I'll have you know that Kyle is describing EXACTLY how I played this hole, and he was kind enough to leave my name out... I really thought my tee shot was going to carry the bunker, but it did not. I really thought my escape from the bunker was short but decent, only to be swallowed by one of the bushes... I still can't believe I lost that ball...

For whatever reason, this is the hole that made it clear to me that Doak learned more from Mackenzie than any other architect.

The 10th is a classic short par 4 (285meters/312 yards). On the tee you will have aspirations of birdie (or better!), but soon you may be kicking yourself after making a 5 (or worse!).

Players can bomb drives over the menacing bunker to reach the green in one or play out to the right with shorter clubs. The day’s wind will play a pivotal role in this decision, as will the outcome of previous attempts impressed upon one’s psyche.

Recovery shots from the Sarlac Pit (not its actual name) are almost as difficult as the climb down into it.

Drives that carry the bunker but fail to reach the green should still be in a decent position, unless a bush swallows the ball and forces a dreary march back to the tee. The earth falls away long and right of the green.

Kyle Henderson

Actually, Bill, the golfer in my scenario cleared the bunker with his drive... :P ;)

Mike_Clayton

What a hole. One of my favourites.
As well as any hole in the world it shows why MacKenzie would have adored the way Severiano Ballesteros played golf.
I saw him play 4 days of the 1978 Australian PGA and it was a time when no one ever went for the green. Not even Norman.
Seve stood there every days and ripped a driver straight at the green.He never made it, coming down in the heathy waste land just short of the green. From there he played the most magical of shots and made three birdies and a par.

Seve is the only player to have won at Royal Melbourne,Augusta and St Andrews - and they are the  three best courses pro golf goes to with any regularity.
MacKenzie never knew it, but he was building courses for Seve and this hole is a perfect example of reward for boldness,flair,spirit and talent.

Brett_Morrissy

really nice post Mike. 8)
@theflatsticker

Patrick Kiser

Alright...

We've been through and up to 10 holes.

Does it get any better than the incredible stretch of holes of 4-10?  All four points of the compass are hit.  Up, down, and around topography...  Fantastic ebb and flow...  Great rhythm...  Challenging test...

I mean ... give me a break here.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Trent Dixon

Actually Patrick, it does get better, you missed out the 3rd... ;)

Kevin Pallier

George

Many on here who know me know that I'm not overly excited as them on #10. I've never ever been tempted to pull driver on that hole. The fairway is very wide to the right and accepts a 3I and a SW or wedge straight up the green. Each to their own I suppose.

Matthew Mollica

Does it get any better than the incredible stretch of holes of 4-10? 

Actually Patrick, it does get better, you missed out the 3rd... ;)

And the second!
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

jonathan_becker

When I previously asked about #6, Scott showed me that I sometimes forget how Google Earth can answer questions.  But.... the elevation changes on GE suck at times and I don't think it's giving an accurate reading for #10.

So, according to this shot from the back of the back tee, how much elevation change is actually there?  This line off the tee is only a 243 yard carry.  It must be extremely uphill.  Help me out here!

Mike_Clayton

Jonathan,

They have just added five yards to the back tee - nonetheless it is only about 270 to the green.
It is a long way uphill though and always seems to play much longer than that.
Kevin,
It is true that it's an easy shot to the right with a two or three iron but in a tournament it is a hard shot to fly it all the way to a back flag because over the back is hopeless. It is not that hard a shot if you are fooling around but I always found it a different proposition in a tournament - plus the greens are always harder and faster.
Flying the bunker and shortening the pitch by 50 yards is a huge advantage.

David Kelly

The first time I played RM #10 I went for the green with a driver and hit the top of the bunker and rolled halfway down the face.  I hit a fat pitch out to the front of the green and then ran in a 40' putt for birdie - one of the greatest stolen birdies I have ever had. However,  it wasn't until I was on the green that I realized that even if I had cleared the bunker I would have been caught up in the waste area and without the skills of Seve would have struggled to get a par from there. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Chris Kane

Would it be a better hole if the waste area between the bunker and green was fairway?

Bill Brightly

I don't think so Chris. Then the hole would just be about clearing the bunker, which many can do. The scrub at least (sometimes) penalizes those who try but can't shape the ball right to left. The hole is simple enough if you play it safe, so there has to be a real risk of bogey for being overly aggressive, IMO.

Mark Bourgeois

Every time I look at an aerial of RMW I have to remind myself of the 4th hole. It's like my mind is conditioned to look for a "back" hole after the "forth and back and forth" of 1 and 2 and 3. Just the way Mac sort of unfolded the routing that way, curling outward then arcing back to "enable" the 5th and 6th holes.

Have to catch myself every time not to go "back" after I've traced the 3rd hole.

Does this happen to anyone else and why?

Mike C -- lovely post. You must be right about Mac and Seve, for Mac wrote of designing for the shot that had not been attempted. Didn't Seve promise the gallery they would see something they'd never seen before?

I hope he is hitting rocks on a beach with a 3-iron.

Kyle Henderson

The (416 meters/455 yards) 11th hole proceeds downhill and to the left from the tee.

A pair of bunkers on the inside of the dogleg is set to accept overly ambitious, corner-cutting drives.

More bunkers await misfired recovery and approach shots played up the gentle slope fronting the putting service.

The green falls away at the rear to discourage over-clubbed second shots.

David_Elvins

I think the fairway bunkers on 11 need "fixing"

Great post on the tenth, Clayts.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matthew Mollica

I'm not sure they need much David. What would you propose?

You don't need to be right next to them to have the ideal angle of approach.
Something bigger and more imposing in there would look wrong to my way of thinking.

There are several non descript appearance bunkers on the course so they are not total oddities.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David_Elvins

I'm not sure they need much David. What would you propose?

You don't need to be right next to them to have the ideal angle of approach.
Something bigger and more imposing in there would look wrong to my way of thinking.

There are several non descript appearance bunkers on the course so they are not total oddities.

MM

I would disagree with a suggestion that there are several similar bunkers on he course.  I think they stand out for the follwoing reasons.
- the first bunker is built on a downslope and fights the land.  Most of the bunkers on the course are built into natural upslopes.  
- I don't think there are many holes with more than 1 driving hazard where the hazards aren't integrated into a single complex.
- the first bunker is almost blind from the tee. This is definitely not a common feature.
- One of the bunkers is relatively recent and it looks like the soil excavated has been clumsily dumped to form a series of mounds in the rough.
- the shaping is poor.

The last point is debatable but that still leaves 4 other points.  

There are several options as to what you could do.  Re-shape them, remove them, move the, etc.  I just hope it is an area of consideration for the incoming consulting architect.  I would expect them to find the right solution.

Personally, off the top of my head, I would remove the first bunker.  It is poorly located on a downslope and barely visible from the tee.  I think there might be scope to expand the second bunker into a larger complex that extends up the hill.  There are enough bunkers on the course that challenge the short hitter (2, 4, 12, 18 etc) that a complex that challenges the long hitter wouldn't be out of place.  The tree line might prohibit this slightly though, I would have to have a better look at it. 

Removing both bunkers would also definitely be a good option IMO.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:55:29 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matthew Mollica

David, I'll respond to more of your post later, when work permits.
Let me start by asking how much of the drive bunkers are visible from the tee on 2,6,12,14 and 17?

You know they're there, but can you clearly see the entire hazard?

MM

Matthew Delahunty

I would like to see both bunkers filled in and a new bunker on a similar line to the first but 30 metres further up the fairway, creating a centreline bunker of sort (towards the left portion of the fairway), giving the option of going left of it or the safe play out right or taking it on to give the best line into the green.  This is where the 11th fairway joins the 17th so there is plenty of width out right.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:25:36 PM by Matthew Delahunty »

David_Elvins

David, I'll respond to more of your post later, when work permits.
Let me start by asking how much of the drive bunkers are visible from the tee on 2,6,12,14 and 17?

You know they're there, but can you clearly see the entire hazard?

MM

Matt, I didn't say anything about needing to see an entire hazard.  I don't think any of the hazards you mention are as blind as the first bunker on 11 which the vertically challenged cannot see from the tee at all.  The hazards you mention are all clearly visible.  All except the bunker on 6 are cut into upslopes. If you are saying the bunkers on 11 are similar to those on 2 or 6 or 12, then that would be an interesting point of view.

Matthew Mollica

Not my point David. When you wrote -

the first bunker is almost blind from the tee. This is definitely not a common feature
I felt that comment was not entirely correct.

MM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back