News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Is Sassafras the way forward?
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
If that quirky thread title doesn't make you inquisitive, nothing will. In fact, Sassafras is the new Coore & Crenshaw slated to begin construction late this fall. I was there last September for a cocktail party and it has several key ingredients going for it as a private club.

First, it is within a couple hour drive of ~14 million people. That helps! Also, climate wise, I am not joining a place where the playing season is less than half the year as something just rubs me wrong about that, especially in a recession. Located on the eastern shore of Maryland, I imagine golf will be played at least nine months of the year here. Third, there is already an extensive furnished manor house (which becomes the clubhouse) on the property. All the roads, sewage, power, etc. are set for the main club facility. Too many poorly funded private clubs opened from a makeshift structure with the clubhouse still not built years later. Not having a clubhouse is a poor omen, given the known stresses that private clubs are under. Fourth, (and those of us in the Pinehurst area really appreciate this), Sassafras is being developed by someone with a track record of success. Junior varsity time is over and experience is needed to make the many ticklish decisions that go into a successful private club, starting with an intelligent land acquisition basis from which to work.

From this perspective, the first hole is to the right of the entrance drive and the fifteenth hole is on the left. Then you cross in front of the clubhouse to play the finally three holes on its other side. Making both nines return to the clubhouse would have been a routing disaster and give the developer credit for not making Coore do so.

Regarding the golf, if I'm 50 years old and thinking about joining a place, I need to know how well I can age there. Given that golf is a walking sport, can I still walk the course in fifteen years or does it become a bit too hilly? Twenty years ago, I would have said that you were nuts if you preferred Garden City played on the Hempstead PLAIN over Yale with its rollicking landscape but my perspective has now changed/softened/wimped out/matured. Though having endured plantar fasciitis last year, I still jog ~20 miles a week but climbing a flight a stairs in the evening (and especially descending in the morning) involves more and more circus maneuvers  :-[   (whomever invented the banister deserves an award).

Also, as you gracefully age with martini in hand, the need for forced carries and greens that only accept a high soft fade dissipates. Give me something fun with broad slopes and open greens and my children and I will be just fine, thanks. While a Coore & Crenshaw diagram doesn't mean much as the real work occurs once they get in the field, my one walk around the routing on display at the manor house made me think that the holes work well for all ages. Afterall, the high to low point on the property is just 30 feet. The photographs above and below gives you an indication of some of the rolls and broad slopes with which Coore & Crenshaw have to work.

Here is the view from the manor house back terrace to the final three holes that will play along a finger of the Chesapeake Bay, more accurately referred to as the Sassafras River. I was told it is a deep natural tributary, great for boating, but I'm not a yachtsman so I don't know.

I am a big fan of pure golf clubs ala the kind found throughout England. Your dog and you head off, play a sub-three hour round and return home to do your newly assigned chores. For doomed  ;) married guys (or girls!), that's about as good as can be hoped. Conceivably that's still possible in the U.S. but in general, if you are going to join a new club, how can you possibly do so unless it offers things for your wife and kids as well? In part, that's what the founders of The Country Club in Brookline thought 120 years ago, that golf could be one of many offerings out in the country that the whole family could enjoy. Set on over 550 acres, I don't readily recall the full menu of what Sassafras will offer but I know tennis, swimming, boating, fishing and hunting are among them. A true club in the country, courtesy in part by finding the right infrastructure and then building a course around it.

Anyway, I have no vested interest in Sassafras and I am typing this rambling post out of appreciation for the fact that some people are still trying to do things the right way despite the economic headwinds.

Few places seem to have the right ingredients for long term success and I think this is one on them for the reasons stated above. What do you think?

Cheers,

PCCraig

Re: Is Sassafras the way forward?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:33:34 PM »
Ran:

This looks like it could be one awesome golf club with a really good low-key design as judged by your photos. C&C worked on what looks to be somewhat similar land for 12 of the 18 holes at the Warren Course at Notre Dame and did a great job building interest into flattish normal land.

Thanks for posting your report.
H.P.S.

David Whitmer

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
Those few pictures sure look inviting, and because Coore & Crenshaw are doing the design I think the odds are good a really nice track will be the result.

The club itself may turn out exactly as the developers envision. Then again, the club may evolve as members join and express their likes, dislikes, and wish list. I was the club pro at a very nice, upscale (for Cincinnati anyway) private club that opened in 1997. It was sold to members as a golf club, one that would have no cart paths, absolutely no Monday outings, and few weddings or banquets. A small pool would be build for little kids. Well, after a few years it became a place with cart paths everywhere, outings 3 Monday out of 4, and the pool became twice as large as originally intended. Also, the F&B operation was larger than it was planned. It evolved because it had to if it wanted to survive and attract members with the necessary funds.

Here's hoping Sassafras turns out exactly how the developers and, equally importantly, the early members envision it.  

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
Ran:

Thanks for the news -- looks like a very interesting place and setup.  The Sassafras is on the eastern shore of the northern part of the Chesapeake, and is just slightly north (latitude-wise) of Baltimore.  So "at least nine months" might be a stretch, but probably not by too much. 

Are you able to share any info about the developer?

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
The developer is Chaffin / Light.  They did Spring Island Club and Chechessee Creek Club.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Third, there is already an extensive furnished manor house (which becomes the clubhouse) on the property. All the roads, sewage, power, etc. are set for the main club facility. Too many poorly funded private clubs opened from a makeshift structure with the clubhouse still not built years later. Not having a clubhouse is a poor omen, given the known stresses that private clubs are under.

I agree on the infrastructure, generally, but isn't it exactly this, the $Xmm clubhouse and amenities that put most of the recent clubs under?  Situations where the golf course costs $4mm and the total deal is $25mm?

Sand Hills proved that the golf course is more important than the clubhouse.  Now, if the model here is truly a "country" club, then I could see why having these sorts of amenities is important.  But, I'm not sure it is a one size fits all solution.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
Don't you have to identify your demographic?

If the demographic is the casual golfer on a time and dollar budget, then of course, the answer is 'no way'.

If the demographic is the business person networking and impressing people, the answer is 'probably not' (because the membership will be too small, not enough amenities, etc)

If the demographic is a small proportion of people with a fair amount of disposable income and free time that 'enjoy the game for its own sake far from the madding crowd', then it is absolutely great.

Ran, will this new club have any environmental goals or programs?

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
Good post...your're a good man Ran!...or a good Ran man...I don't know, words confuse me.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »
Few places seem to have the right ingredients for long term success and I think this is one on them for the reasons stated above. What do you think?

I think it looks expensive, but with 14 million to draw from, it might work. I wouldn't loan them any money.
Raynor was a hack

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »
Ran, as someone who shares your preference for the English club model, this does not appear to be a step forward for American club golf, not with all those baubles and doodads.

The C+C up the road looks closer to the ideal, at least until Carthage opens in, uh, "late 2009."

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
Ran,

No, sadly this is not the way forward.  Likely a step back.  The existing infrastructure is being used as a way to justify the exorbitant expense of the other amenities.  Your quote,

I am a big fan of pure golf clubs ala the kind found throughout England. Your dog and you head off, play a sub-three hour round and return home to do your newly assigned chores.

is the ideal for some of us, yes.  If that is what you are touting as a way back/forward to a "good club", then I agree.  Mainly because for me and many of my generation, it's easier to justify a club to the missus when it's not the primary focus of all of me and my family's leisure time.  3D movie theaters, mall-style shopping, trendy sushi bistros, etc.  No golf club I know of has those things.  That's what young family's want.  

Nope, to justify a club expense to a family, a spouse must be convinced that 3 hour rounds are the norm.  That food is kept to sustenance for golfers and nothing more, and the amenities are slim enough to force the player to enjoy his time there, quickly, to get back to his family.  This quote,

Set on over 550 acres, I don't readily recall the full menu of what Sassafras will offer but I know tennis, swimming, boating, fishing and hunting are among them. A true club in the country, courtesy in part by finding the right infrastructure and then building a course around it.

scares the hell out of me.  Because with this one club, the case can be made that it is affordable due to existing infrastructure.  Other clubs will try and keep up with the Jones, then it's deja vu all over again for golf development.  Over extension, big debt, ka-boom.

This isn't to say that C&C won't build a hell of a golf course on that rolling openness.  I hope they do, and I'd love to see it one day.  But for development purposes, this is just a way to leverage amenities without the huge expenses of before.  Not very groundbreaking. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:54:02 PM by Ben Sims »

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
I live in DC proper and from a logistics standpoint it will probably attract more from the Philly/NYC demographic.  Even though by the way the "crow flies" it is close to Washington DC it is a royal pain in the ass to get there....you still have to go across the lone bridge (Bay Bridge) to access the eastern shore of Maryland and from May-September that is torture (thus a lot in the DC metro area go to the North Carolina Outer Banks). 

I have actually looked at land out there and for the most part it is fairly flat, clay based, and mundane.  Maybe this site is different.

I am a C&C fanboy, so I suspect they can, as usual, make chicken salad out of chicken shit, so I am sure the course will turn out to be a true winner.

A few questions I would have is that if it pulls from the Philly/NYC crowd then it is in direct competition with Hidden Creek, Galloway, Saucan Valley,  no?

If I had a house on the Eastern Shore then this would be pretty cool, but to be a stand alone destination club, hmm....  Don't get me wrong, I can only hope a decent golf course gets built between Richmond and Philly...we seem to be in no mans land!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
It's a pain in the neck to get to from Philly as well. I'd rather go to Hidden Creek or ACCC or Ballamor. It's an easier drive. I 've been to the Delaware beaches but haven't been to Ocean City for golf although I'm planning a visit to Glen Riddle to play therir 2 courses.

http://www.glenriddlegolf.com/

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
Ran,

No, sadly this is not the way forward.  Likely a step back.  The existing infrastructure is being used as a way to justify the exorbitant expense of the other amenities.  Your quote,

I am a big fan of pure golf clubs ala the kind found throughout England. Your dog and you head off, play a sub-three hour round and return home to do your newly assigned chores.

is the ideal for some of us, yes.  If that is what you are touting as a way back/forward to a "good club", then I agree.  Mainly because for me and many of my generation, it's easier to justify a club to the missus when it's not the primary focus of all of me and my family's leisure time.  3D movie theaters, mall-style shopping, trendy sushi bistros, etc.  No golf club I know of has those things.  That's what young family's want.  

Nope, to justify a club expense to a family, a spouse must be convinced that 3 hour rounds are the norm.  That food is kept to sustenance for golfers and nothing more, and the amenities are slim enough to force the player to enjoy his time there, quickly, to get back to his family.  This quote,

Set on over 550 acres, I don't readily recall the full menu of what Sassafras will offer but I know tennis, swimming, boating, fishing and hunting are among them. A true club in the country, courtesy in part by finding the right infrastructure and then building a course around it.

scares the hell out of me.  Because with this one club, the case can be made that it is affordable due to existing infrastructure.  Other clubs will try and keep up with the Jones, then it's deja vu all over again for golf development.  Over extension, big debt, ka-boom.

This isn't to say that C&C won't build a hell of a golf course on that rolling openness.  I hope they do, and I'd love to see it one day.  But for development purposes, this is just a way to leverage amenities without the huge expenses of before.  Not very groundbreaking. 

As a member of Ben's generation with a young family, all I can say is BINGO!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

C. Squier

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Plain and simple it's money that makes a successful club. Doesn't matter how many amenities or infrastructure you have, you need pockets to pay the bill. If that's from a full roster and deep waiting list or an owner who doesn't mind writing a check at the end of the year. Nobody would dare call Sebonack anything but a success, but it ain't being carried by monthly dues. Sassafras can have a ferris wheel and water park for all it matters if the developers find the right people to join.

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
It's a pain in the neck to get to from Philly as well. I'd rather go to Hidden Creek or ACCC or Ballamor. It's an easier drive. I 've been to the Delaware beaches but haven't been to Ocean City for golf although I'm planning a visit to Glen Riddle to play therir 2 courses.

It's just over and hour from the main line. Thirty five minutes from Wilmington. Very easy to get to but a world away

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
Jeff,

I don't live on the Main Line. It took me over an hour and closer to 1.5 hrs to get to Bulle Rock/Beechtree.

Will Sassafras have cabins or a lodge for overnight/weekend stays by members? Hidden Creek does. So does Paramount(Dellwood) in Rockland County, NY. For that matter, so does Moselem Springs near Reading, PA.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

paul cowley

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Well Ran....seems golf's a tougher game than I thought. :)

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
If there was an emoticon with a head tilting back a bit, hand scratching chin while in deep contemplation, I'd have posted that instead of this worthless post.

paul cowley

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
Don I agree with all except worthless.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
but a world away

As a Philly kid who who grew up working for a family with a 1 1/2 of waterfront on a farm with a 9 hole course in Perryville, MD, I do agree with your statement of "a world away."

It is a beautiful area, it is crazy nice compared to the now very crowded Jersey Shore, and it is quiet, but my employers plowed their 9 hole course under because they could not get their friends from Merion and Atlantic City CC to come down to play FOR FREE.

Who knows what the next era will bring, so maybe it will work.

Good luck.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »
Where in Maryland is this getting built?

Dan

John_Cullum

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »
Ran:

This looks like it could be one awesome golf club with a really good low-key design

What is low key about this? I have heard that description used before and I never really understood the meaning.

This does not look low key whatsoever to me. It reminds me of Cherokee Plantation at first glance. I am guessing 250K to join and $20k/ year (at least). Is that low key?
Raynor was a hack

Eric Smith

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »

Sassafras is the new Coore & Crenshaw slated to begin construction late this fall.

Anyone know if this is under construction?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »
Eric,

It's funny you ask, Tom Paul and I were just talking about this property tonight. He had some early involvement a while back, before
C and C came into the picture I believe. He didn't know the state of the project. Any info gang? look like it could be a sweet spot.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back