News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I was wondering that today.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:20:05 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

I was wondering that today.

Why only 8?

John_Conley

St. Andrew's has 10 greens (8 double) and the tees are very near the greens.  A lot of people consider it great architecture.

Matt_Cohn

Do you mean all in one place?

mike_malone

probably 50 yards at the most from those that are the farthest.
AKA Mayday

Adam Clayman

Mayday, Having trouble grasping the question. Any better description needed. Otherwise, the answer is either, "depends" or, "Why Not?"
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

Cypress has a fairly close grouping around the big dune in the middle of the course, but not all within 50 yards of each other, more like 100-150 yards.

Steve_ Shaffer

Were you playing golf when this thought crossed your mind? If so, did the course prompt this question? ....and identify the course in question.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

What this bunching provides is for multiple options for shorter rounds since this bunching is at the clubhouse. I think it is good design particularly for a private club that one plays often. The other need is that the holes be different in their playing characteristics.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

Mike:

I think that's good architecture, as long as it can be done without a lot of safety issues from wayward shots.  That many greens and tees that close together sounds difficult to pull off.

Strangely, for the past week, I've been getting feedback from my client in China that having multiple greens and tees close together is a bad thing to them.  As far as I understand it to date, I guess they expect to have some golfers who don't want other golfers to see them out there!  I am hoping I don't have to build a bunch of mounds around tees a la Perry Dye.

Carl Nichols

8 greens and 8 tees, or 4 greens and 4 tees?  If the latter, isn't that a cloverleaf (four-leaf variety) routing?  Pretty sure that's how the Warren Course is routed.

mike_malone

It is four tees and four greens. It is #1, #3, #10, #15 tees and #2, #9, #14 , #18 greens at Rolling Green. This is 3 par fours, 3 par threes, and two par fives ( although 18 is sometimes a four).
AKA Mayday

Kalen Braley

probably 50 yards at the most from those that are the farthest.

I would love to see how this is accomplished given that an average green is at 15-20 yards wide.

mike_malone

I tried to get the google map of the area onto here but my tech capability failed me.

Kalen,

It probably is more but seems close.
AKA Mayday

Kalen Braley

Mike,

Which course is it? I can get something posted up or at the very least post a link to it.

P.S. I wasn't trying to mock your last statement, was curious how if someone managed that, it would be interesting to see :)

Carl Nichols

Mike--
I love these kinds of routings, since they let you sneak out for a mini-loop of the right length after work, etc.  All other things being equal, of course -- I can imagine losing something along the way if you try to force such a routing.

Matthew Petersen

Everything requires context, but in general I like the idea. It makes me think of the way certain MacKenzie routings have holes that sort of orbit around a large hill, for example.

Kalen Braley

Here is the CPC configuration.

You can see 3, 11, 9, and 6 greens...and the tee for 4, 12, 10, and 7

Scott Warren

The Valley Club has this exact setup.

The 3rd, 7th and 10th greens and 4th, 8th and 11th tees are all set around the same small hill, with the 4th green and 5th tee only about another 70-90 yards away from the 3rd green, from memory.

Bill_McBride

Everything requires context, but in general I like the idea. It makes me think of the way certain MacKenzie routings have holes that sort of orbit around a large hill, for example.

Meadow Club and Valley Club two good examples.  I haven't been to Australia :(  but I think there is something similar at Royal Melbourne.

Kalen Braley

Meadow Club and Valley Club two good examples.  I haven't been to Australia :(  but I think there is something similar at Royal Melbourne.

He also did this to a lesser extent on the back 9 at Pasa.

10 Green, 17 tee, 11 tee, 12 green, 13 tee, and 16 green are all within fairly close quarters of each other...thats 6 greens and tees.

Hmmm, that's 4 courses now, I'm sensing a pattern! :)

John_Conley

The title of the thread has changed.  It used to read:

8 greens
-and-
tees close to each other

It now reads:

4 greens & 4 tees
close to each other.

Initially my answer was yes because the only thing that came anywhere close was St. Andrews.  10 greens and all of them near the greens.  I'd like to see someone route just 8 greens, because we'd get some triple greens.  It'd be way cool.

The new thread results in a different answer.  I'll say it depends on where those 8 holes lead to or come from.  I certainly have no issue with such a junction on a course.  It almost guarantees the place will be walkable.

Ronald Montesano

While not within 50 yards of each other, Golden Horseshoe in Virginia has a bunch in proximity. I liked all the holes and found that they played quite differently.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:15:15 AM by Ronald Tricks O'Hooligan Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Garland Bayley

Is not a determinant of either good or bad architecture. Next question?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tiger_Bernhardt

Geez it depends on the land and what close means. also how much if any crossing of each other occur. I generally do not like to have a green and tees for different holes cross. Example being 16 green to 17 tee crosses 4 green to 5 tee at MPCC Shore. I do not think there is a glimpse of cross or even communication at Cypress example up there. The closest one gets is when on 10 tee, 7 tee is very close.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back