News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: Why is Barton Creek so Underappreciated ?
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
Jeff:

The issue is not about Pine Dunes but how the collective reach of Texas public golf has clearly improved and is far better than many might imagine. I see Barton Creek as a solid choice -- is it in a top 100 for what it provides? No. The quality of other publics throughout the USA has risen quite high and in certain states such as Colorado it is really impressive. Frankly, the depth of Texas public is better than either of Pennsy and NY when public courses are held against one another in my mind.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
Lou:

Given your comments on Ram Rock at Horseshoe Bay -- where would you personally place it among the state's top public courses.

Are any of the courses from Barton Creek among your personal top ten too ?

thanks,

The DMNs will publish the public list tomorrow and Foothills is #1 in the "Most Expensive Category" ($81+).  Canyons is #7, Palmer Lakeside is #19.

HSB Ram Rock, Applerock, and Slick Rock come in at #s 8, 13, and 15, respectively.

My own personal rankings are a bit different- I like Canyons more than Foothills, Applerock over Ram Rock, and indifferent on Lakeside vs. Slick Rock, though the latter has much better aesthetics/waterworks.

Matt, please don't take the DMNs high opinion of Barton Creek as verifying your gca IQ, particularly if it gets you to thinking about moving down here.  Please take note of what that guy on another thread said about Texas- terrible schools, non-existent health care, etc., a real hell hole in comparison to whatever blue states he was comparing it to.  We have way too many people, apparently too stupid to know better, moving down here already and pushing the political trends in the wrong direction.   Just think of the rich golf scene in the Met area.  You wouldn't look good in boots and a ten gallon hat, and NJ nor TX would be the same.  ;) 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
Lou:

I salute TX golf because so few people really have played much there -- especially on this thread where the same, predictable and tired candidates are written about constantly.

I like Barton Creek -- it's not Bandon Dunes - no doubt about that but overall the resort is solid in plenty of ways. The golf dimension is diversified enough and while I see things a bit differently than you do at Horseshoe Bay (I like Ram Rock), the sum total of public available golf in The Lone Star State is much, much deeper than a number of others states (such as NY and PA -- which are great primarily on the private side of the aisle).

Lou -- the immediate Austin area can hold its head with just about ANY community in the USA. Just a really exciting and diversified area -- no doubt there are growing pains and congestion -- but there are many upsides too.

Texas public golf provides a good array of different courses and the price points are well within the means of a good number of people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back