News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Mandel

Re: white manor philadelphia bobby weed renovation
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
Guys,

Sorry I missed you yesterday. I actually was on the 9th green when you were coming off of 18 and I thought that might be Joe. By the time we were finished 9 you guys were gone.

Glad you enjoyed your day, the course was in pretty good shape but unfortunately the greens had just been punched a few days ago so putting was an adventure. You'll need to come back when the greens are running and the fescue is up.

In regards to the question about 4 and 15. Yes, Bobby changed pretty much every hole in some way, but 4 and 15 were two of the most pronounced changes. 15 used to be a 380 yard par 4 and Bobby shortened it by about 50 yards, took out a boatload of trees and created what is now the left side of the fairway(which btw if you can't tell is the low side so if you go left your shot to the green will be mostly blind.

In regards to 4, most do typically go left but the fairway is twice as wide to the right and if you miss the fairway left the fescue is pretty close and is very difficult to play out of during the summer. You also tend to flirt with the center line bunkers when aiming left.

Wade,

I wouldn't say there's a defined target on every tee but there are definitely preferred lines. It really is a course that you need to "think" your way around as Rory was alluding to.

Villanova hosted a tournament a few weeks ago with about 20 colleges, I think 2 players broke par for the tournament over 36 holes and the kids could not stop raving about the course.

If anyone is in the area and wants to check it out please get in touch and I'd be happy to have you out.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
Guys,

Sorry I missed you yesterday. I actually was on the 9th green when you were coming off of 18 and I thought that might be Joe. By the time we were finished 9 you guys were gone.

Glad you enjoyed your day, the course was in pretty good shape but unfortunately the greens had just been punched a few days ago so putting was an adventure. You'll need to come back when the greens are running and the fescue is up.

In regards to the question about 4 and 15. Yes, Bobby changed pretty much every hole in some way, but 4 and 15 were two of the most pronounced changes. 15 used to be a 380 yard par 4 and Bobby shortened it by about 50 yards, took out a boatload of trees and created what is now the left side of the fairway(which btw if you can't tell is the low side so if you go left your shot to the green will be mostly blind.

In regards to 4, most do typically go left but the fairway is twice as wide to the right and if you miss the fairway left the fescue is pretty close and is very difficult to play out of during the summer. You also tend to flirt with the center line bunkers when aiming left.

Wade,

I wouldn't say there's a defined target on every tee but there are definitely preferred lines. It really is a course that you need to "think" your way around as Rory was alluding to.

Villanova hosted a tournament a few weeks ago with about 20 colleges, I think 2 players broke par for the tournament over 36 holes and the kids could not stop raving about the course.

If anyone is in the area and wants to check it out please get in touch and I'd be happy to have you out.

Jason

Jason-I agree about 4. Although the preferred line is left so is the trouble. I played from just right of the bunker and had a reasonable shot. That is a cool hole.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
The greenside bunker on 15 interests me.  It doesn't look like the biggest hazard on the lot but it's perfectly placed and has a gnarly personality.  I'm guessing it swallows its share of shots, short right fans or bail outs in particular.

WW

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
There's a GAP Play Day at White Manor on July 6.    Registration at gapgolf.org begins on May 25.

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
The greenside bunker on 15 interests me.  It doesn't look like the biggest hazard on the lot but it's perfectly placed and has a gnarly personality.  I'm guessing it swallows its share of shots, short right fans or bail outs in particular.

WW

Bobby Weed has these types of bunkers scattered throughout the entire course. Gnarly is a good word and that bunker despite its scale can extract plenty of pain.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back