News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

While players have always had people champion/chronicle their exploits (Jones/Keeler, Hogan/Jenkins, Palmer/Drum, Morrissett/Morrissett  ;)  ;D, etc.), only on the odd occasion did golf course architects garner much attention. There was Jones at Oakland Hills, followed by Dye and Harbour Town and Dye again when he went for a swim at TPC.

However, the concept of golf course architects as rock stars worthy of a book in their own right has grown over the past couple of decades. In terms of the written word, the last ten years has seen the greatest surge. Klein on Ross, Doak on MacKenzie, and Bahto on Macdonald are obvious, large volume examples. Shackelford has made sure that no one ever forgets two of the greatest minds in golf course architecture, namely Thomas and Behr. Tillinghast has many supporters and other books including those on Stanley Thompson, Tom Bendelow, and Pete Dye have further helped people view architects in a different, altogether more comprehensive light.

How fortunate we, the reader, are to live in such times as we are free to learn as much as we want. Yes, there have been a few glossy coffee table train wrecks, namely a couple of books written by architects themselves which you can read and literally learn nothing  :-\ but by in large, golf has always attracted gifted writers.

Now comes the latest - and largest! - installment whereby two individuals have lavished a tremendous amount of time and personal attention to one of the world's greatest architects. As already referenced by Mike Cirba and others within this Discussion Group, I am talking about Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul and their research on William Flynn. Unfortunately, the CD has become known as much for its length (2,260 pages  :o) as for its content, which is a shame. :'(

I remember when Klein's book on Ross came out. At over 350 pages, it set a new standard and yet.... it wasn't long enough to find a place in it, for instance, for Plainfield. The book needed to be longer. Yes, there are commercial considerations and already with such a length book, people say that they will never read it cover to cover.  That's not the point.

The point as it relates to Morrison's tome is not to be discouraged by its vastness. Rather, the CD is there whenever you want. When you are off to play Cascades, do yourself a favor and read that chapter. I played that course ~15 times before I ever met Wayne and now I realize how  little I was seeing. Only through his writings and copious photographs do I see how much effort - and dynamite - went into its construction process. No wonder Tilly passed on the project!

Even if you don't have any intent on seeing a Flynn course, I recommend getting their CD. As well as any of the other books, Wayne and Tom describe how Flynn worked with nature and made it look like he was never there. That's golf architecture in its highest form and if you can appreciate that single point, then you'll really appreciate all that has gone into Wayne's work with Tom's help. In Wayne, here's a guy that has spent thousands of hours with scant hope for any meaningful pecuniary return. That's true passion and Flynn is lucky to have such thorough chroniclers.

Yes, it is ironic that we are posting it the week of the Masters as Flynn doesn't seem to illicit the same response as Alister Mackenzie among golf course architecture aficionados. Flynn never cut as large a figure as MacKenzie's outgoing personality nor was his footprint on the world stage nearly as diverse. Flynn never would have thought to build something as flamboyant as the green at Sitwell as it wouldn't 'live' but in this new age of sustainability, we can all better appreciate just how well Flynn tip-toed the line between making courses that were arresting to the eye, rife with challenge/strategy and all the while maintainable.

What more can you ever hope for from an architect? Flynn delivered that telling combination of virtues as well as any architect ever has and it is the exact sort of architecture that we need now more than ever.

Hence, the timing of the release of Wayne and Tom's CD couldn't be better. People who want to order the CD can contact Wayne directly, either by email  wsmorrison@hotmail.com or by sending  a check ($75) to him at:

Wayne Morrison
209 Avon Road
Narberth, PA  19072

Hope you enjoy this month's Feature Interview!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:04:51 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Bill_McBride

Re: Feature Interview with Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul is now posted
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
Great interview, Ran!  I was completely hooked early on when I saw the phrase, "angle of repose," a term which deals with the slope angle at which various materials will stay in place.  It's also the title of one of the great American novels, Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner.

Thanks for the interview.  Good to see the words of Wayne and Tom on our screens once again.

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »
I think that is the most informative interview I've read on here.  It appears that Messrs. Morrison and Paul have done an incredible job with the work of Flynn.  I'm sure I'll enjoy going through the material for some time to come.
Thanks for your work Wayne and Tom.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:01 AM »
Tom & Wayne,

Thank you for a really enjoyable, unbelievably well-researched read and for agreeing to put this Q&A on GCA for our enjoyment.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »
Nice interview Ran and congrats to Tom and Wayne on finishing their book. I have learned so much about Flynn for this website and the interview added more knowledge.

I miss Wayne and Tom, especially my battles with Wayne as I tried to explain to him the inherint thrill and beauty of the playing fields built by Raynor :)  

Almost spat out my coffee when I read this line in the interview, OBVIOUSLY made by Wayne, when responding to Ran's question about Flynn's greens:

"Where is the interest in template greens when you know what to expect rather than unique greens based upon the natural sites?"  

Wayne could NEVER pass up a chance to take a swipe at Macdonald's protogee...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:46:40 PM by Bill Brightly »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »
Sorry, Bill, but I can't follow how any McDonald greens are similar to Flynn greens.  Please explain your thoughts.

Willie

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:51:10 AM »
Tom & Wayne,

Thank you for a really enjoyable, unbelievably well-researched read and for agreeing to put this Q&A on GCA for our enjoyment.

+1

Congratulations for getting this 'book' out, obviously a labour of love.  I will also be interested to see if this format catches on, it might be the future for this kind of ‘work’.  Good to see some pioneering ideas in golf publication.

I’m slightly surprised by the lack of response.  Like the vast majority of golfers  I’m unlikely to ever get the chance to play a Flynn course and I wonder how their  private status leads to him being an unknown and underappreciated figure. Following this ‘treatise’ I suspect the cult of Flynn can only grow.

The obvious question is, how do you follow that?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
Sorry, Bill, but I can't follow how any McDonald greens are similar to Flynn greens.  Please explain your thoughts.

Willie

Willie, my post had nothing to do with Macdoanld greens being similiar or dissimilar from Flynn greens. Rather, I simply made note of Wayne's (or possibly Tom's) slap at Maconald greens. Read the quote again...

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Sorry, Bill for my misunderstanding.

I haven't found the "slap" yet, but I'll keep looking.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »
Dear Wayne and Tom,

What terrific stuff!

I am haunted by your photos of Merion's 9th both pre and post Flynn. Is that a geometric/square 80x80 green in the 1912 photo surrounded by vexing chocolate drops ? Also, what the hell is that huge fairway bunker in the background in that same photograph on what is today's 10th???

Kudos!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:26:17 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
The pictures in the work are terrific.  There is something pleasing to the eye about the way the fairways sit on the land. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
Sorry, Bill for my misunderstanding.

I haven't found the "slap" yet, but I'll keep looking.

Willie,

OK, since you do not have 3 or 4 years of experience having friendly "discussions' with Wayne,  I'll explain the slap. Here is the quote again:

"Where is the interest in template greens when you know what to expect rather than unique greens based upon the natural sites?"  

First of all, ""template" means MacRaynor.

Secondly, it implies that each of the MacRaynor "template" greens are the same and therefore boring.This is simply wrong. While there are similarities in each template type, there are also many differences from course to course. For example, the two best Short Hole greens I know: National and Sleepy Hollow, are very large with many sections, but they are totally different green types. The Redans at NGLA, Piping Rock and my home course Hackensack are all great greens but no two are alike.

Lastly, the quote states that Flynn greens are "natural" which implies that MacRaynor greens are unnatural and therfore, forced upon the land. The writer would have you believe that Flynn greens just magically appeared from the land, whereas Raynor greens have been forced upon the land. This too is wrong, all of the greens I mentioned above sit beautifully and naturally upon the land.

Too bad Wayne no longer posts here, it was a fun debate...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:51:29 PM by Bill Brightly »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »
A great interview!   I wonder how much Flynn influences today's design?

Willie_Dow

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
Bill - I haven't seen or played the courses you mention.  I am familiar with Yale, Mid Ocean and Yeamans.

Those greens are very similar, as I think back.  Very flat and not memorable, to my way of thinking.  Even the Yale greens, which are now much better after taking them out to the original "corners", do not strike my mind as memorable.  Now, the routing and play of the courses  is another matter.  Here is the greatness of this team, and I mention team with Barton in mind as well.

Sorry to say that Barton's work in Hanover, NH - NLE.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »
So far am 700 pages into book. Loaded with info and is a quick read.  If formated in size of Hurzdan book wood be about 350 pages.  The pictures and drawings are superb and being on the computer you have the opportunity to really zoom in on features in the pictures.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
While I will admit I have not purchased this book from Mr. Morrison, I did read and greatly enjoy this interview. I really enjoyed the response to question #6:

Discuss Flynn’s views on what should be asked of the golfer over a course of eighteen holes. For instance, he certainly wasn’t shy about asking the golfer to hit a driver to a par three green nor of requiring the occasional three wood into long par fours.

I note that Flynn is quoted as liking a certain general diversity in the holes and I wonder why such diversity is not seen on courses built recently? When was the last time someone played a modern course where they hit both a wedge and a 3 wood/driver to a par 3? Or when have we seen a hole built as a "real three-shotter not merely a hole somewhere over 500 yards?" I believe modern courses would be far better if they had this form of variety rather than what is so often seen: "client wants 7,500 yards, so I'll give him 4-210 yard par 3's, 4-585 yard par 5's and 10-435 yard par 4's." In a great number of modern courses, this is what I see. Why? Why not use the variety that Flynn seemingly considered to be ideal?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back