News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

PREFACE - Siwanoy Country Club - Donald Ross (1913)
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:59:26 AM »
Hello Fellows,

When I first became exposed to the marvel that is Golf Club Atlas six years ago, the section titled "The Next 50" caught my attention.  Listed at #9 was (is) Siwanoy Country Club.  As I had a significant tenure at Siwanoy in the 90s both as Caddie and club employee, I immediately knew that I would love to be the one who put forward an analysis.

Under a massive tree removal/restoration effort led by Stephen Kay in 1996-2000,  the course was restored beautifully and the "Rossian" shot values were (are) now on amazing display. This restored Siwanoy was a perfect subject for the kinds of things we like to read about here.

I compiled and edited a 35 page (Word document w/pix) for Ran about Siwanoy which was submitted to him in March of 2009.  Ran didn't think the pictures I had, did the prose justice but as I have never had an opportunity to correlate newer pictures for his specific publication, the project has kind of just "sat there," with no movement on either of our parts.

I could try and hector Ran with protests that he should publish the thing with the pix as is, but he has enough to do, as do I.  So starting this evening, I'm going to seed our board with the larger part of that Review/IMHO essay in five or six parts and be available to respond as I issue the various sections.

If someone could remind me of the proper/trouble-free way to post photos, I would appreciate it a great deal.

I hope the series and my review entertains and informs. 

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Joe Bausch

Re: PREFACE - Siwanoy Country Club - Donald Ross (1913)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:46 PM »
Check your e-mail, VK.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt_Ward

Re: PREFACE - Siwanoy Country Club - Donald Ross (1913)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
VK:

Siwanoy gets little attention because the next tier of top courses usually begins with the likes of a Fenway or Sleepy Hollow. I would dare say that Siwanoy and Metropolis are well worth checking out. They are less intense than say a WF but likely have more appeal because they don't extract the same level of penalty for the slightest of misses.

Look forward to the photos and the further discussion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back