News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

1975 Masters announcers
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Fun stuff to see some of these fellows.

12th hole:  Jim Thacker

13th hole:  Pat Summerall

14th hole:  Jack Whitaker

15th hole:  Ben Wright

16th hole:  Henry Longhurst

17th hole:  Frank Glieber

18th hole:  Vin Scully

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:09:50 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Greg Beaulieu

Re: 1975 Masters announcers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
Honestly don't recall Jim Thacker. Did CBS use him only at the Masters or was he a staff announcer who did other things?

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
Honestly don't recall Jim Thacker. Did CBS use him only at the Masters or was he a staff announcer who did other things?

Growing up in North Carolina I remember Jim Thacker well.  He was a staple alongside Billy Packer announcing ACC basketball games in the MidAtlantic in the 70s.  Was surprised to see him listed as a Masters announcer.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:26:40 PM »

Growing up in North Carolina I remember Jim Thacker well.  He was a staple alongside Billy Packer announcing ACC basketball games in the MidAtlantic in the 70s.  Was surprised to see him listed as a Masters announcer.

Thacker worked a good deal of CBS golf as a free-lancer, and also appeared on SNI/Hughes golf coverage (which was for years directed by Frank Chirkinian). I remember Thacker on the 14th or 15th hole of the Western Open at Butler National when CBS began to cover it. One year, he was at 15, Rick Barry was at 16, Frank Glieber was at 17, with Pat Summerall and Ken Venturi at 18.
And where was Venturi in 1975? That was great to see. Would love to see the unedited tape.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
They need to roll back the pixels -- the telecast just isn't as good as it used to be with all that technology.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
Somewhere in a bad motel, the drapes are missing.

Vin Scully.... win  ;D

I could listen to him describing paint dry and enjoy it.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:09:58 PM »
Gentlemen,

Henry Longhurst was the master of the understatement.....hmmmmmm.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:14:45 AM »
Was also interesting to see the cross-hatched mowing pattern on the (then) Bermuda greens....and the players were doing some serious shoulder turns (actually, several were still wristy) on the longer putts on those slower/grainy greens.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:27:42 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »
And that the announcers said the prize was a "green coat".

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »
Joe - some words to go with the pictures:

Ben Wright (off the cheer as Weiskopf birdies 15): "Ah, evil music to the ears of Mr. Nicklaus". 

Henry Longhurst (as Jack drills in his 40 footer on 16): "And now, young Mr. Weiskopf will have to take it, just as he dished it out". 

Wonderful. And look at those mugs: You think those boys had a few drinks on occasion?

Peter

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
Any images of 9-year-old Jim Nantz sitting in the Butler Cabin waiting to interview the champion?  I believe 1975 was his first Masters.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:58:30 PM »
What a great job Jack Whitaker did for the introduction of "The Nature Faker" by Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul.

Jack has a large fund of knowledge for both golf course architecture and golf history.  His friendships with the many announcers, and players, over the years, make him one person Ran should catch up with, and soon ! 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
What a great job Jack Whitaker did for the introduction of "The Nature Faker" by Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul.

Jack has a large fund of knowledge for both golf course architecture and golf history.  His friendships with the many announcers, and players, over the years, make him one person Ran should catch up with, and soon ! 

Spot on Willie.  My lunch with you and Jack last year was special.

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
Just kicking for Vin Sculley.  He is still the best.

On another topic, did all these guys get their sports jackets in a pro shop in Kentucky?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
Funny to see 16 listed at 190 yards in 1975.
i was just commenting to a friend the other day that I thought that hole used to be longer.
Sure enough, a look at a 1956 scorecard shows 190 yards, and it's currently listed at 170.
I realize it plays at a variety of distances, but I do remember the 190 figure and also a lot of 4,5, and 6 irons being hit.
I hit a 4 iron to an imaginary back left pin on my sneakover round (I don't even know if there is a back left pin anymore)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
It's hard to believe now, but CBS only made it all the way back to the 13th hole in 1973. Don't know if 1975 was the first telecast from the 12th or not. Only two hours of coverage on Sunday in 1975 (and only 95 minutes, including a five minute overrun on Saturday).

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »

Thacker and Packer!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »
Before all the commentators wore makeup.  Everybody's got a different jacket, too.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »
Before all the commentators wore makeup.  Everybody's got a different jacket, too.

What restaurant did Glieber steal that tablecloth from? And Thacker outgreened the green jacket with his version.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »
It's shame that Wright can't get a TV gig. He is fantastic.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »
Funny to see 16 listed at 190 yards in 1975.

I wonder if 16 is the only hole at ANGC that plays shorter now than it did 40-50 years ago. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 12:40:56 AM »
It's shame that Wright can't get a TV gig. He is fantastic.

I agree. There are many people who have said much worse.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:31 AM »
I have a book published in 1974 that lists ANGC at 7,020 yards and a foldout map from the April 1985 Golf Digest which lists it at 6,905 yards. That's pretty significant. What exactly happened there?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 07:13:19 AM »
I have a book published in 1974 that lists ANGC at 7,020 yards and a foldout map from the April 1985 Golf Digest which lists it at 6,905 yards. That's pretty significant. What exactly happened there?

I'm guessing it was juts the way they were measuring things.
If a tee got bigger, the middle could move forward.
perhaps the 1974 yardages were from the "back area" of the back tees, and the 1985 yardages were from the center of whatever tee was there.
I've seen developers and architects insist on small back tees for max yardage purposes
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
The listed yardages were not always accurate, and at some point they did a reboot of the card to get a more accurate record.

One example is the lengthening of the first hole in 1983.  Instead of telling the players that the hole had been lengthened by 10-20 yards, they told them that the bunker had been moved.  The scorecard yardage wasn't changed until 1999.  My guess is that the guys who played there annually had a pretty good idea about what was going on.

The third hole is listed at the same yardage as when the course opened (350), but has had iterations of 355 and 360.

The sixth hole was originally 185, went up to 190 and today is listed at 180.

The 13th was changed from 465 to 485 in 1994 without any physical changes to the hole.  It opened at 480.  Today it plays at 510 after a new tee was built on land procured from Augusta CC in 2001.

The 15th had its official yardage reduced in 1981 from 520 to 500, today it plays longer.

For 16, my guess is that the reduction in yardage is the result of changes made for spectator flow between 15 and 16, including the addition of an access staircase to the grandstands by 15.

The rest of the holes have generally experienced a steady increase in length, sometimes as the result of extensive changes to the hole (like at the 7th) or by finding room for new tees (the 18th being a good example).
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back