News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Is there a correlation between courses that
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »
start with a par 5 and the absence or diminished quality of their original range facility ?

It seems that some of AWT's courses started with par 5's  and that most of them that I've played didn't have substantive ranges.
Now that I think of it, of the AWT courses I've played, most began on a benign note.

Did architects design courses with "warm-up" holes where they didn't build a substantive range ?

None of these AWT courses had a decent or substantive range when built.

Somerset Hills
Baltusrol Upper
Baltusrol Lower.
Shackamaxon ?
Quaker Ridge

Others with benign opening holes were

Ridgewood
Suburban
Alpine
Forest Hill
Fenway
Old Oaks
Shwanee
GCGC
Seminole
NGLA

Why wouldn't an architect craft a benign opening hole where there was no adequate or substantive range ?

JESII

Re: Is there a correlation between courses that
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »

Why wouldn't an architect craft a benign opening hole where there was no adequate or substantive range ?

Because it's not their job to hold the players hand...

I would much prefer to par a difficult opening hole than birdie an easy one and the size of the driving range has virtually nothing to do with the chances of either....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
This has been discussed several times with regard to courses designed by Mackenzie out west.  A number of those start with a par 5 (Valley Club, Pasatiempo, Meadow Club), with both starting holes par 5's at Valley and Pasa.  The first two at Pasa are now long par 4's and the back tee for #1 at Valley is now a par 4 on the scorecard.

Ditto for some George Thomas courses - original La Cumbre, current Riviera and Bel Air.

I think the general consensus is that the opening par 5's made up for the lack of a driving range.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:56:12 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mike Policano

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »
Patrick, how's it going?

So here are a few comments to consider. Courses in Scotland and Ireland in the early 1900's  did not have a range. Apparently, it was an American thing to practice in the 1920's. Pat Ruddy once told me at the European Club, we are Irish. We don't practice, we play!

AWT was perhaps a disciple of Old Tom Morris, there is no range at the Old Course. There was no range or no real range at Baltusrol, Quaker Ridge, Winged Foot, Somerset Hills, Fenway, Philly Cricket, Shackamaxon, Alpine, Surburban and I am sure others.

The trilogy of Tillinghast books indicates that Tillie's thought was to have the first hole to ease the golfer into the round. In fact, lessons were usually given by the club pro on the 18th hole since there were no ranges. Tillie designed a range and short game for Ridgewood when he designed the course. It was the first time he designed a range for a course he built.

Cheers

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
At Corsicana Country Club AWT opened with a 440 yard par. Obviously long for the time, the second shot though plays downhill and encourages the ground game. Of course that said anything above the hole on 1 and you are screwed.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
Pat Ruddy once told me at the European Club, we are Irish. We don't practice, we play!

Is there any man in golf architecture with as many quotable lines as Pat Ruddy?

Patrick,

As far as I'm concerned, the answer is no...

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
Claremont CC (in Oakland, CA) is a Mackenzie-designed course that both opens & closes with par-5's and has no practice range.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back