News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: The Raynor Paradox
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2002, 01:50:44 PM »
Andrew:

Fox Chapel may be the mildest and most unengineered looking of all of Raynor's courses. The topography out there is good and that project was very late in the game for him so, who knows, he's probably toned down the engineered look immensely by then or on that project.

I played a couple of state ams there and never even knew it was a Raynor course! In a way that sort of makes my point about the highly engineered look of some of NGLA (1908-1910) and how that was sort of the way things were done during that early time. Fifteen years later was well into the stage that many of the others really were mimicking and blending their construction more with what appeared natural and maybe Raynor did the same--no real reason not to.

Look at Ross, for instance, and how his style evolved from some of his early work and work done up until the end of WW1 that was quite different than his later work that way.

Into the 1920's and later you really never saw things like the prevalently used square greens and such again that he did at say LuLu and some at Gulph Mills--both his early projects.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

George Bahto

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2002, 03:29:12 PM »
lots of interesting stuff, to me, on this thread (obviously)

about the NGLA topo:  there is no original topo map - i have had access, thru clandestine means, to "the" original blueprint of the course where no fairways were drawn in, the course (of course) started from the present #10, and the name of the course was mnamed on the print, The National Golf Course of America, as CB originally planned

On it there are increment (ever so many feet) with elevations printed next to each. I agree, that in most cases, tee to green, I don't think a lot was done down the centerline of each hole. Lots was done greenside, of course.

There was the one main objective - make the good golf hole.

Andrew: Fox Chapel even in its original form is not a good example of his work in the context of this discussion. Also a lot was done to the course over the years so what you see there doesn't help this subject.

Lots of valid points here.

Just turned up 3 more Raynor courses over the past two months - I think I "found" about 20 or so he hadn't gotten credit for

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2002, 05:00:33 PM »
Ah, George, God Bless you, you old dog! I'm posting this before I even read your post I'm so happy to see you on here! This is the thread for you and I promise if you think this topic will diminish sales of your book I will pick up in books whatever shortfall you think it caused!

So let's have some good stuff! Have you ever analyzed any old design or routing topo map contour lines of preconstruction against what was built?

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2002, 05:07:04 PM »
George
Thanks for giving this thread some gravitas.

TE
I don't think you are unussual in not giving much thought to aesthetics or not really making up your mind as to how aesthetics effect you - but it does create a seperate paradox as to why you would be interested in my aesthetic dilemma.  :)

I too enjoy many diferent styles and that's one of the reasons why I find the subject so fascinating. From aesthetic standpoint the architects past and present that I'm not too crazy about normally lack an interesting style or any style at all. And the common denominator I have discovered among the architects I admire is the use interesting natural features and an ability to integrate their given style with nature. I have now concluded that Macdonald/Raynor fit into that criteria - aesthetic paradox now officially over.

I don't think it is accurate to say Macdonald and Raynor came before MacKenzie. MacKenzie designed at least half a dozen courses before the NGLA was officially opened - including Alwoodley and Moortown. And he had nearly twenty courses under his belt when Raynor lauched his solo career.

What are examples of MacKenzie going too far? Every April I'm always amazed at how well the lone MacKenzie bunker has aged over the years--it doesn't look he went too far on that one. The same with Royal Melbourne and Thomas's Riviera. Perhaps you and Gib think they are too attractive or that MacKenzie and Thomas were too focused on aesthetics/eye candy.  ::)

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2002, 05:47:39 PM »
George;

No original NGLA topo?! what a pity! Sounds like that blueprint could be interesting enough to yield some results in analysis of original grades vs post construction though.

'Increments with elevation printed on them (every so many feet!?).' Doesn't that sound to you like they just shot elevations as they went along and thought they needed them? Just designed by eye and without topo and just shot elevations here and there for engineering purposes?! That could mean it would be possible to sort of analyze things in reverse. It would help to know what trees still there were there preconstruction and any other unmovables like rock in close proximity to obvious manufacturing and engineering.

It really would be interesting to see how possible it would be to use anything available to see if preconstruction NGLA topographically could be put back together against finished product. With NGLA, if not too hard to do, it would really be worth it, in my opinion! It may be the most interesting course in America's architectural evolution to determine what was raw site against the architectural manufacturing!  

TEPaul

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2002, 07:08:50 PM »
Tom MacW:

Either I'm really poor at expressing what I mean or else you just don't want to hear what I'm saying because it just seems to me that most everything I say is misunderstood somehow!

As far as me saying MacKenzie came after MacD/Raynor, I checked back and I did say that and that's a mistake on my part or a mis-statement and I didn't mean that. I know he came earlier than Raynor/MacD.

What I meant to say is it was my belief his style of really attuning most all his architectural features to nature came later than MacD/Raynor's NGLA and if that's not true then I can only say I didn't know it.

If Alwoodley and Moortown and the other four he designed prior to NGLA (which I have never seen) has contruction that was less engineered than NGLA then all I can conclude is that in this context of attuning architectural features to nature Mackenzie was far better at doing that than MacD/Raynor and that he may even have preceded any architect at doing that.

I have a feeling that Harry Colt or even Willie Park may have preceded all of them at attempting to attune architectural features to nature but that's another subject and only shows that US architecture may have been at least 20 years behind European architecture in that vein, and of course that's entirely possible and certainly worth discussing on another topic.

I'm sure you were probably being facetious but if I say I have not so strong feelings as you might as to whether Raynor's engineered look is very aesthetically appealing or very aesthetically unappealing and you conclude that indicates I therefore haven't given the subject much thought (which as you say isn't unusual), then I would say I believe you're very wrong about that too and that I have given it a great deal of thought and that you might start to consider that recognizing areas of grey in this subject may be even more thoughtful than just recognizing, as you do, the simple fact of black and white (ie, completely aesthetically appealing or unappealing!).

And as to me and Gib saying that MacKenzie may have gone too far in constructing his features as attuned to nature, what I meant is there appeared to be a tremendous "fragility" to some of MacKenzie's detailed and lacy bunkering at Cypress Point--just look carefully at the progressive photos of MacKenzie playing a round there shortly after opening in GeoffShac's recent book on Cypress and I would find it hard to believe you could fail to notice that!

The point of going too far in that vein was that the bunkering definitely appeared that it would not withstand the ravages of wind, weather and time no matter how beautiful, aesthetically appealing and attuned to nature it may have been in the beginning. It's my understanding that is exactly what  happened to it! Now (recently) mostly restored by CPC at tremendous expense! The example of the last remaining bunker at ANGC is a poor example of MacKenzie's bunkering, or Gib's and my point, as that particular MasKenzie bunker at ANGC has undergone far more than wind, time and tide!

But anyway, Tom, this has been a marvelous thread, started by you, with a ton of interesting analysis and discussion and interesting fact. But you have said the subject of the thread which is "The Raynor Paradox" was one involving your own personal opinions and even dilemmas. All along I've tried to claim, for various reasons, mainly ones concerning era and evolution, that there really is no "Raynor Paradox".

Now I see, for some reasons, whether your own or others, you also have come to the conclusion that there is no "Raynor Paradox".

So be it! It really doesn't much matter how you came to that conclusion--but it seems we now agree!

George Bahto

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2002, 07:12:35 PM »
Trees at National? - I have 1910 photos that show no trees at all on the property except along the property lines - Charlie was noted for often having an axe in his golf bag - this told to me by the super (Keeper of the Green) from the Links Club.

Sorry I haven’t posted lately - been busy getting material to the publisher.

Speaking of which ..........   Good new for some and relatively bad new for Raynor freaks - where did you guys come from?  where were you when I needed you a few years ago?  No one seemed to know who he this guy Raynor was.

OK, there will be two books. The initial book is CB, National, the holes, Raynor and any of the courses Macdonald, with Raynor, was even remotely involved with.

There is so much material I felt too much would be cut out - so the second book will be: some overlap and will pick up from the first book and in it will be all the many courses he (and Banks) built, timelines -lots more.  (Didn’t it sound like Tom Paul ordered 100 books?)

OK how about some input from you Raynor fans?

About a year or so ago I wrote a piece called “Seth Raynor the Unsung Hero” - I sort of liked that for a title but would like to entertain your thoughts about a title for book two?

Earlier in this thread the question came up about Raynor’s clients. Most of these were Macdonald’s friends. He built the National with a “national” membership in mind - not like today where everything is “National
 (perhaps “Dog-Patch National” will be the next new design). The National founders and his friends were from all over the country - the beer guys from Milwaukee, Fleischmann and friends from Camargo, the steel people and bankers from the Fox Chapel area and of course the Money men from the NY Met area (Julian Curtiss - Standard Oil - from Greenwich) - Rockefeller from Sleepy Hollow, T Suffern Tailer from Newport and the Long Island North Shore bunch etc..

Raynor had to turn a profit - CB did not - so often there were compromises in the original Raynor designs. He would propose great strategies - especially fairway bunkering. The clubs would freak often out - “too hard” - “too expensive” - “why is there a bunker in the middle of the fairway” - a Cape hole with not only the green out in the water but the entire hole out on an island (original design at Country Club Fairfield had this one).  So Raynor had to bend. CB, that dictator, wouldn’t have any of that.

But back to the clientele of Raynor: CB did not want to build any courses. He was happy hanging with his good- time buddies and tuning at the National. His friends wanted his involvement - “built us a Macdonald course” - he shunted them off to Seth, pacifying them with an “I’ll be around” sort of thing. Interestin,g for after Raynor died the clientele kept asking Banks to build a “Raynor course” - in fact Banks advertised himself that way.

TEPaul

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2002, 07:58:26 PM »
George:

Jeezus, this story is getting particularly bizarre! Raynor was never anything but a puppet of MacDonald's, wasn't he?

The guy was an engineer from Southampton. He really never played golf. Who taught him how to factor golf into his bones? How could even MacDonald have taught him that and left him on his own if he never played?

I know the way those guys around MacD thought and how they were all interconnected back then--they would never have stood for Raynor on his own! Where did Raynor get his clients, even to the end of his career?  Who was it that knew all the power brokers? Who was it that lived until 1926 and who lived until 1939? I've heard of front men before but Seth Raynor sounds like the ultimate in the history of architecture! It was C.B MacDonald all along, wasn't it?

Raynor sort of looked the partrician and he went to Princeton but I know how that world worked back then!

MacD played good golf and he played it everywhere that was important back then--he won the US am--he started the USGA, he was completely central to all things in American golf and Raynor was just his puppet from 1908 until 1926 when he died wasn't he? I also noticed that MacD hired him as an engineer for NGLA in 1908 but he didn't become his partner until 1915! And he didn't seem to do all that much until the 1920s anyway (according to C&W).

I think you might have to revise your title from "Raynor the Unsung Hero" to "Raynor (MacD) the Unsung Heroic Paradox".

You're brilliant to throw so much material at the publishers to get two books out of the material. But I think you need to construct the ultimate riddle here only to be unlocked by the third book which will be "The Key to the riddle of the great American golf course and/or the Paradox of MacDonald and Raynor."

This needs to happen so at least Tom MacWood can someday say; "Free at last, free at last, Thank God Almighty, I'm Free at Last!"

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2002, 08:04:03 PM »
TE
Fragile? When I think of fragile I think of crystal that with one wrong move is history. MacKenize's bunkers, and Thomas's and Thompson's and Coore's and Doak's and others, are not fragile in the crystal sense. Did the bunkers at Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne and Riviera change over time? Yes. Did they shatter into a million pieces never to be enjoyed again? I don't think so. They remain in their evolved form some of the most visually striking bunkers in the world. Those bunkers have lost there lacy edges and have cahnged, just as the dunes contantly change their outline and shape, but they retain their three-demensional quality and a striking outline. The lone bunker at ANGC is testimony to their resiliancy.

Where we seem to differ is your view that MacKenzie was more in tune with nature than Macdonald and Raynor. I believe that Macdonald/Raynor were every bit as sensative to nature - they just had a different style. Just as Alison's bold formations were different from Colt's, and Maxwell's features were different from MacKenzie's, and Ross was nothing like Travis and so on.

George
Did you discover any of Raynor's writings?

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2002, 08:37:29 PM »
Tom:

Just look at the photos in Shackelford's book on Cypress and you'll see what I mean by fragile. Maybe fragile isn't a good word for you--but it is for me--I meant they don't last in their designed form, that it appeared they weren't maintainable as designed. They become more generic, for whatever reason.

It doesn't have to be that way you know? Just check out GeoffShac's other book "The Golden Age of Golf Design" and look at Merion. How is it that those bunkers became far more rugged and beautiful over the first thirty years or so. Much more random, lacy and detailed and less generic than they once were in the beginning?

I never said a thing about crystal or one wrong move and they're history--you did. I never said a thing about the bunkers of Thompson, Doak, Coore and Crenshaw or Maxwell either--you did. Their bunkering is much different than what you'll see in the book on Cypress with the bunkers just after opening.

You have to stop trying to lump everything together! I never even remotely said some of the things you imply I did in my posts! This has been a good thread but I don't want to start discussing the meaning of words I use at this point. And I'm convinced you know perfectly well what I mean. Enough is enough--it was a good discussion!

George Bahto

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2002, 08:43:49 PM »
Tom M: I found abut 6 letters or short articles - that's it fropm Mr Reticent

George Bahtp

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2002, 08:56:43 PM »
Tom P: Perhaps I could have sated it better.

First Raynor started playing when he built St Louis (the 3rd course after National)   - he said he did not want to become proficient at the game becase he didn't want to have his arctecture subconciously lower to his own game - rather, the golfer should raise his game to the (Raynor) architecture - that's very  cool. That's a paraphrase but that's what he did say.

Raynor went out on his own in 1914 (Westhampton, Greenwichand CC of fairfield (a 7 year project) - CB did not help and Raynor did not ask

Forget the dates in C-W - lots wrong there

He really did his thing with no help - what I meant was that many of the commissions came to him from CB friends - they didn't go thru CB ..... I should have stated that better I suppose.

Macdonald was out of the story right after the beginning of Lido (a 4 yr project) - from my info SR built Links and Mid Ocean (major CB hangouts) with perhaps only a little input from the old man.

CB trusted SR's judgement totally

Hopo that's more clear

TEPaul

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2002, 08:58:28 PM »
Tom:

I see you say again that MacDonald and Raynor are every bit as sensitive to nature as many of the others. They certainly are in many ways but are you referring here again to the subject of this thread which is the so-called "engineered" features of Macdonald/Raynor and NGLA as every bit as sensitive to nature as some of the others?

Tom, if you are, I find that almost impossible to believe from a guy like you! I can't even now remember from our discussions if you've even been to NGLA. If you haven't you should come and at least see it and I'm convinced you will change your mind about the way you are saying things here.

I think what you're doing is just trying to fit every single architect of every era that you think is any good into this all encompassing principle you believe in that to be good they absolutely have to totally fit into this principle of naturalness in every way.

I think you're going to find that they don't have to do that to be good and that fact does not have to be a paradox either!

TEPaul

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2002, 09:01:35 PM »
George:

Much more clear! Thanks.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2002, 09:22:00 PM »
TE
You are too focused on the 10%. If you go back and read what Macdonald and Banks wrote you will see they were very much in tune with the others, in some ways more in tune.

The A&C Movement was movement without a difinitive style, in fact it promoted individualism. Among its common threads were harmony between man-made and environment and to draw inspiration from the naturally evolved past. I don't think I'm trying to jam Raynor and Macdonald into anything.

George Bahto

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2002, 09:37:31 PM »
Gib, my faithful editor and friend:

Sahara: if I remember correctly Charlie, the old fart, even thought Sahara was too much of an antique but wanted to give it one last go at NGLA

On the other hand some of the other architects seemed not too feel that way - look at Tillie at Baltusrol, and at Fenway and Emmet did a grand one at Leatherstocking called Sahara-Pit (about 285-yds or so) with a bailout to the right if you  didn't want to risk carrying the hazard

Of course Lido was one entire Sahara

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2002, 10:10:49 PM »
Whew!

I'm sure as hell glad that I didn't pick up on Dan Kelly's hint to try to summarize this thread about 20 posts ago!

Keep at it guys.  This is as good as it gets!

TEPaul

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2002, 05:12:36 AM »
Tom MacW:

With all due respect, and I really mean that, I don't think I'm too focused on the 10%. The 10%, by the way, is your number, and I happen to think it's quite a good one, quite an accurate one if you really look at NGLA, for instance, with an eye as to what percentage of the entire site was given over to the construction of man-made architecture by MacD/Raynor. Naturally almost every golfer at NGLA probably wouldn't look at it that way but for us who are trying to look closely into its architecture that does seem reasonable.

But if we use 10%, then that would represent the percentage of NGLA that was manufactured and engineered and the part that appears to most who see or play the golf course to be unusually engineered which you yourself admit is the thing for which MacD/Raynor seem to get their reputation for "enginneering".

So Tom, that's the part of their architecture that even you have started a topic on to discuss how to view or explain the "paradox" of a real "engineered" look vs use of natural aspects in either untouched form or else an attempt to hide the hand of man in what they did construct.

What was the "paradox" to you? Apparently how such evident or even blantant manufacturing and "engineering" can really square with the ideas and principles of "naturalness" that you're so dedicated on analyzing and also defending in the art of golf architecture! So am I, but I think we have to look at it honestly and judiciously and also in its proper context which to me is its proper era!

Again, I really don't think it's worth it to concentrate on the other 90% of NGLA. Why? Because as I said, in that era (and long after it until probably well after WW2) moving large amounts of earth around a site (far more than 10%) was just not done by anyone simply because they weren't able to do it!

So in that way MacD/Raynor were no different than any other architects. So it isn't worthwhile to concentrate on the other 90% in this topic--it would be a good one for another topic because in that other 90% (at NGLA anyway) MacD/Raynor may have been different than most others in what they used that was natural and also in how they used it!

But you say later in this thread that you've now resolved your paradox since you've come to the conclusion that the "engineered" 10% is somehow attuned to the look of nature. I, for one, am never going to agree with that and most anyone who has seen NGLA wouldn't either! It's just quite blantantly not the case and I think you could not help but agree if you saw NGLA!

You may actually not be saying that at all--you may just want to shift this topic to the other 90% of the golf course, but again, I would prefer to stick to the 10% as that's the part that seems to be creating the paradox. And if you're not trying to shift this discussion to the 90% and you are truly saying the "engineered" 10% is attuned to nature in look then I really think you're into some pretty clever rationalization which is bound not to fly on analysis.

I very much admire "naturalness" in all of architecture but I'm willing to admit that at that time (NGLA-1910) some architects had not evolved to that point! MacD/Raynor were obviously one of them. That doesn't make them bad architects in my mind, quite the contrary. They just happened to be architects who were concentrated on other aspect of the art--like how to make really good golf holes--and they succeeded in that in spades despite the fact of blatant engineering!

You can try to explain this 10%, this apparent paradox, Tom, in what you've read on this subject-even that which MacDonald himself wrote about naturalness and using the natural apects of sites for architecture. I've read the same things you have on what he said about that. But reading it is not going to rationalize or explain away that highly "engineered" 10%!

I've also read what Ross and many of the others wrote about never designing holes with blind shots or blind greens but nevertheless their work and the landscape of their projects is riddled with blind holes and greens from the old days.

This obvious contradiction (and a number of others) in their writings doesn't really bother me, particularly when a man like Ross is honest enough to also admit that he sometimes broke some of his own tenets and written principles on architecture and he even bothered to explain why, thankfully!

So I think you should come to grips with the realities--we all should--that's half the fun and beauty of doing all this. And if you do, you will find, I believe, reasonable answers to these things, those apparent dilemmas, those apparent paradoxes, that are quite interesting, and are also largely understandable if one looks at these things in their proper context, which to me is their own eras, and also in how those eras fit into and certainly create the evolution of golf architcture!

George Bahto

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2002, 06:10:28 AM »
Guys: let me ad this bit of information:

Charlie Macdonald hired a local, one Mortimer Payne "and his team"" to do the actual construction of the course - now this is no plural here -

How much earth moving could Mort do??

We're not talking trucks and steamshovels - this started in 1907.

Payne did the work - Raynor apparently id the layout work and oversaw the construction so the work was done as Macdonald visualized .......... no different than today

Even into the 1920s they were using Mortimer Paine and "his team" - team meaning "horses, mules or whatever" - certainly there was hand laborers but that certainly wasn't large earth mvement.

BTW, Paine did work at Maidstone and Shinnecock overthe years as well

TEPaul

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2002, 06:29:26 AM »
Thanks George, good stuff!

So from here on out I christen "Morty" Paine as MacD/Raynor's "Mr 10%!"

The other 90% is one great site, mindblowing topographic golf architectic potential sculpted by God, and well identified, routed and used by MacDonald and Raynor! Very cool and significant in the evolution! So yes, the other 90% was really no different than anyone else although probably better utilized!

George Bahto

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2002, 06:54:30 AM »
TEPaul: You've got it !!!

neat stuff, huh?     great thread

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2002, 06:59:54 AM »
TE
The original intent of this thread was to explore why Raynor's golf courses were visually or aesthetically pleasing to me and to others who felt the same way. To attempt to answer the question of why the designs of a man who is known for an engineered and artificial style are so appealing? Are they visually pleasing to you?

Some of the conclusions were extraordinary sites, a talent to recognize and utilize interesting natural features, contrast, simplicity, proportion and the fact that Raynor courses may not be as engineered or linear as they are reputed to be. Do you disagree with these conclusions as to why they are aesthetically pleasing?

The question was not why do engineered features look so natural. And the answer was not engineered features are actually quite natural. I believe I'm firmly planted in reality.

As far as 10% is concerned, the ability or inability to move dirt is not a guarantee of an interesting or 'natural' golf course. I have played more than one Ross course that was a dud, I am not a fan of Tom Bendelow and my idea of pergatory is being forced to play the golf courses of Robert Bruce Harris. On the other hand the steam shovels were out in full force at Royal Mid Surrey before WWI, as they were at Cypress Point, ANGC, Jasper, Banff, Sharp Park, Timber Point, etc. Being above, below or right on 10% is no guarantee that course will be (or will not be) interesting, natural or unnatural. And it sounds as if the 10% at the NGLA maybe high.

I think you might be equated the Arts and Crafts movement with strictly pure naturalness and nothing more. The appreciation of nature was a major component of the A&C Movement but it was much more than that. As I said before  it promoted individualism, harmony between MAN-MADE and environment and to draw inspiration from the naturally evolved past. All attributes shared by Raynor and Macdonald and one of the reasons I find their work so appealing.

Lou Duran

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2002, 07:48:41 AM »
I apologize in advance if this post is not on topic, but George paraphrased something that Raynor said which struck a chord with me- i.e. that "the golfer should raise his game to the architecture".  Not being artistically oriented, I don't always see in great detail the neat features of classic golf courses.  Often, I have a hard time discerning what has been engineered by a thoughtful architect as opposed to what was designed on the existing topography.  But I have a definite opinion as to what is good architecture by what a course demands of me over time.  My defense on another post of the Scarlet course at Ohio State is largely based on how it elevated my game and peaked my interest over a seven year period.  I firmly believe that great architecture brings the best out of serious players; good design elevates play.  

TEPaul

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2002, 12:04:26 PM »
Tom MacW:

You ask if the engineered style of NGLA or MacD/Raynor is visually appealing to me. I guess it is but I don't think so much as the style of MacKenzie at Cypress! That to me is about the ulitmate of marvelous architecture and blending well with nature too. Hole #9 before and after construction to me is textbook for everything fantastic that architecture can be!

But sure, NGLA's engineered parts are probably appealing to me, particularly when I discovered their function and how well they play! But I wouldn't really use the word appealing to describe my feeling about it (I'm just answering your question about "appealing"). I'd say it fascinates me! It's very fascinating for someone interested in architecture.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2002, 12:28:29 PM »
George Bahto, TEPaul, Tom MacWood,

Construction projects may call for the retaining of an individual or firm, but it is not unusual for that entity to grow in order to accomodate the project.  Firms expand and contract to process the work flow they are faced with.

I have a very limited knowledge of construction, but my impaired vision tells me that a lot more than 10 % of NGLA was manufactured.  Virtually every one of the MASSIVE green complexes appears to be manufactured or built rather than found just lying there.

I also don't know how one can make an in depth objective anaylsis of NGLA without frequently visiting and evaluating the site.

George Bahto,

What was Raynor's involvement with Hollywood ?
How and why was he retained ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back