News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Recent affordable golf trip
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
Well, I guess what is affordable for my budget may not be to somebody else.  But I was on a 4 day/3 night trip last week in Florida that was quite enjoyable that I talked to the fellows yesterday while at Galloway.  I laid out the following itinerary and asked what they thought the cost would be for the ENTIRE trip:

R/t airfare via Southwest from PHL to Tampa (and most SW cities could get a similar rate), arrive Monday morning.
Play the public Brooksville CC on the way up to World Woods.  Stay all three nights at the lovely villas that WW owns, which are about 4 miles from the courses.  The villas are adjoining and easily accommodate 4 people in each.  They are located about 1 mile from a new Publix grocery store so eating in and utilizing the nice digs with a kitchen and gas grill allows for wonderful setting after each day's escapades.

Played 36 holes Tu and Wed at WW where the new greens at Rolling Oaks are an improvement.  Box lunch included in the rate.  Last day we drive down to Clearwater to meet Ben Kodadek and play at his club, Feather Sound, a neat Joe Lee design.  Drop off our two rental vehicles after lunch with Ben and back home early that evening.

Take a guess at the total cost of the trip per person.  Answer below.

$850 (again, that includes all costs of the trip).   Hard to believe, Harry!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:20:31 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

Re: Recent affordable golf trip
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »
Well, I guess what is affordable for my budget may not be to somebody else.  But I was on a 4 day/3 night trip last week in Florida that was quite enjoyable that I talked to the fellows yesterday while at Galloway.  I laid out the following itinerary and asked what they thought the cost would be for the ENTIRE trip:

R/t airfare via Southwest from PHL to Tampa (and most SW cities could get a similar rate), arrive Monday morning.
Play the public Brooksville CC on the way up to World Woods.  Stay all three nights at the lovely villas that WW owns, which are about 4 miles from the courses.  The villas are adjoining and easily accommodate 4 people in each.  They are located about 1 mile from a new Publix grocery store so eating in and utilizing the nice digs with a kitchen and charcoal grill allows for wonderful setting after each day's escapades.

Played 36 holes Tu and Wed at WW where the new greens at Rolling Oaks are an improvement.  Box lunch included in the rate.  Last day we drive down to Clearwater to meet Ben Kodadek and play at his club, Feather Sound, a neat Joe Lee design.  Drop off our two rental vehicles after lunch with Ben and back home early that evening.

Take a guess at the total cost of the trip per person.  Answer below.

$850 (again, that includes all costs of the trip).   Hard to believe, Harry!

Hold on now.  Bar tabs included???

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »
We confined the liquids to material procured at the local Walgreen's.  Pretty darn cheap that way.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
We confined the liquids to material procured at the local Walgreen's.  Pretty darn cheap that way.

$875
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »
Joe- JWB Golf Excursions,LLC. This could be a new sideline.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »
Here is a photo album of the last course we played with Ben, Feather Sound:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/feathersound/

BTW:  must be the tuna salad or something Ben eats as he hits the stuffin' out of the ball, even if he does stand on the wrong side of it.  ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »
Lots of neat birds to be had on the trip too.  This sandhill crane at Brooksville CC was very docile:

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
Lots of neat birds to be had on the trip too.  This sandhill crane at Brooksville CC was very docile:

There was an uglier version of that bird making an ungodly racket when Pete Buczkowski and I played Panther Lakes at Orange County National outside Orlando a few years ago.  Craziest thing I've ever seen on a course.  Almost.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
The greens look really good with plenty of movement. Photo # 24 is a nice contrast to the others in the collection with the water as a backdrop and great lighting.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
Single, double or more occupancy?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »

For the first two nights we were in the adjoining Spruce and Buckeye villas.  They are each large, 2 bedroom units with four single beds.  We put four people in each which comes out to $54 per night/pp (you could go 5 a unit w/ a couch sleeper).  You will have a hard time getting a hotel room in Brooksville that is decent for that kind of price.

Due to a reservation miscommunication, for the last night we moved down the street to the larger Dogwood and Magnolia adjoining units.  These are bigger, even nicer villas with 3 bedrooms and six single beds in each.  They have a screened in patio, upgraded gas grill, and a large flat screen HDTV.  The Dog/Mag units are ideal for a group of 12 to stay, and at this time a year for a weekday stay are also $54 per night/pp.

Golf at WW is $133 for 36 holes a day this time of year on a weekday.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »

For the first two nights we were in the adjoining Spruce and Buckeye villas.  They are each large, 2 bedroom units with four single beds.  We put four people in each which comes out to $54 per night/pp (you could go 5 a unit w/ a couch sleeper).  You will have a hard time getting a hotel room in Brooksville that is decent for that kind of price.

Due to a reservation miscommunication, for the last night we moved down the street to the larger Dogwood and Magnolia adjoining units.  These are bigger, even nicer villas with 3 bedrooms and six single beds in each.  They have a screened in patio, upgraded gas grill, and a large flat screen HDTV.  The Dog/Mag units are ideal for a group of 12 to stay, and at this time a year for a weekday stay are also $54 per night/pp.

Golf at WW is $133 for 36 holes a day this time of year on a weekday.

I didn't see your anaswer at the bottom of your post.
$875 was a pretty good guess
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »
Very good guess Jeff!

WW is a neat place where I believe your hard core GCA nut will be satisfied, but so will you regular recreational golfer.

I've taken groups there now about 5 times in the last 10 years, and I started to analyze why I think my guys, nearly all of which are rec golfers and could not give two shakes about architecture, love going back to WW.  Yes, getting there is easy, it is typically beautiful weather in early March (mid 70's), and the value is excellent which was the main reason for this post.

But I believe the architecture of these two TF's courses does play a large role in their liking of WW.  It is perhaps as plain as the nose of your face, but something the rec golfer really likes:  it is really hard to lose a golf ball at WW.  There's a water hazard here and there, but little OB and even when you go wild into the scrub brush, you can find your ball 9 out of 10 times.

Germain Pepin

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
Hard to beleive, but it is true.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
Joe,

I think it would only be fair if you disclose your golf ball expenditure for the trip.   

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »
Joe,

I think it would only be fair if you disclose your golf ball expenditure for the trip.   

Used 3 golf balls on the trip for 6 rounds.  Managed to lose one in the woods at WW on the 2nd day, then dunked one early at Feather Sound.

Joe Bausch

Dan Boerger

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
Great deal hunting Joe.

When we cancel Disneyworld in favor of a golf trip, I'll be sure to reference this. I may need some backup here however! ...  ;)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Cristian

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 03:39:20 AM »
Souns like a great deal! Might even be worthwhile with an intercontinental flight from europe.

Is walking allowed at WW?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

Is walking allowed at WW?

I'll find out for you CDub.

Joe

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
Yes, walking is allowed at WW.  Same price whether you walk or ride.  Insert "sigh" here from some in the treehouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back