News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Adam Lawrence; On Cabot Links
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
I want to hear more about the 2nd.
Great article Adam and Ben and Ran.
Ben when did you first visit the property?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
Mike, I was there this fall. The second is an amazingly large scale golf hole. You tee off over some scrub (I think) to a fairway that at the start has what appears to be an ocean leaning slant with plenty of movement both vertical and horizontal. It's the huge dune in the distance that catches your eye, almost like the hill on the 6th at Pebble. But, here is where the choices come in. With multiple avenues to play, eventually all balls must get to the top of that hill. The main fairway takes the player either straight or slightly left (away from the water) while the plateau Adam mentions is more on the line of instinct, on the water's side. This is not imply the hole is on the water, it runs more or less through the center of the course, with holes on both sides (sort of).

Any confusion on my part is due to being there during construction and on a day when being out of the car was short lived. 50 mph winds from Hurricane Igor off the coast of Newfoundland. Hopefully Ben will correct any of mistakes.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
A nice read, while waiting for the impending Snowpocolypse. ;)

I have no doubts that this development team will bring in a superior product.  There is just too much know-how and talent to be a dud as a golf course goes.  I will be interested to see what other supporting economic aspects develop around that region.  The more the merrier, and yet a golf course can only bring in some 150-200 tourists a day for a limited season.  Can those tourists generate significant economic activity away from the course?  Will other economic activity start to bloom in that area, apart from tourism and golf?  I wonder if any local support in terms of local residents playing the course once in a while, factors into the development plan there?  I'm guessing not too much.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
RJ, I know that the locals involvement aspect has been, ongoing. from the outset, of Ben's developing of the project. I think I recall Ben implying there would be special rates for locals, and if not special rates, some type of consideration, as far as playing goes.

The economic boom to the area will be subtle at first, ( I assume ) with caddies being the first one's impacting that growth, as well as the hiring of the rest of the staff.

I highly doubt the course will cause such a boom as to take away from the general area's feel of a small town's quaintness.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
I just took a google street view through Inverness.  Yup, it is quaint alright! ;)  Did you see the local Sears story?  I was surprised at the seeming lack of boats around town.  But, it does seem clean and fresh there. 

What are your pub and grub recommendations?  TommyCat Bistro, or Hoff's Pub, and Coal Miner's cafe?

It does make Bandon seem positively bustling.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »
Are they building lodging, or will it be local?

Jim Johnson

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:36 PM »
Adam, I'm curious about the 2nd course. What are your thoughts on that? Were you able to have a look at that land yourself?

Thanks for the read. Always interesting stuff, here on GCAtlas.

Jim

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
Jim, I know a little about the second course. Not quite sure if it's all available for public consumption. I will tease you with... It was an integral part of Mike Keiser agreeing to partner up with Ben. Hopefully someday I can relate the full story, and I hope you appreciate my reasons for waiting.

Geoff has put a nice link to a GD slideshow of Cabot Links. Most all the pictures have been shared here previously, though.  

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-03/photos-cabot-links?slide=3&mbid=social_retweet#slide=11

I'm sorry I can't answer the question about the housing.

I know originally it was conceived to incorporate the clubhouse and lodging all in one building. But many many things have changed since then.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:02:32 AM by Adam Clayman »

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
First, I really appreciated Adam's piece. He spent two full days in tough weather and walked the course repeatedly, earning his Cape Breton stripes.

I have attached an image of the second property below, which is very different and still very wonderful.

Bill,
We will build lodging.

Mike N,
I first visited the property in the winter of 05 and now I live here full time.

Adam was one of the earliest backers of the idea and not surprisingly was an early visitor (before golf could be played)! I remember on Adam's visit that Dave Axland acknowledged "anybody could visit when the golf course was open for play, it took a special breed to come during construction." Amen!

BCD

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:47:29 PM by Ben Cowan-Dewar »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
Adam, I'm curious about the 2nd course. What are your thoughts on that? Were you able to have a look at that land yourself?

Thanks for the read. Always interesting stuff, here on GCAtlas.

Jim

I a sure this board will be excited once the second course is announced. Just a wild guess that the designer will be a popular choice among GCAers

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
Greg, It's not really a wild guess, since it's mentioned in Adam Lawrence's piece.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
Greg, It's not really a wild guess, since it's mentioned in Adam Lawrence's piece.

Adam, I think you misinterpret my comment.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the clarification

Robert Thompson

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
When I walked with Mike Keiser in the summer he said he had a round number in mind that the first course would have to hit before the second could become reality -- my notes say that number was 22,000. The understanding is it will be done by Bill Coore, who has been to the property a couple of times.

I've only driven into the second property once -- and that was five or six years back.

It is north of the town.

My only question about the project and having golfers stay is the lack of even a short irons range. I think it is a drawback for those who might be traveling to the area, though Highlands has never had a range either...

Thanks for the clarification
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
Adam doesn't exactly say C&C is a done deal:

"The land for the second course – which is under consideration, but has not been officially confirmed, and which, according to industry gossip, would be designed by the team of Coore and Crenshaw..."

"...according to industry gossip..." is not exactly engraved in stone!

Robert Thompson

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
I spoke with Bill less than a week ago. He said Keiser is very excited to have Bill and Ben to the project -- assuming it goes forward.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 09:00:27 AM »
Tricks, Not much new there. Although, I believe I made the drive from Halifax in much less than 4 hours. When I went in September, there was plenty of road construction too. Stop lights and other unneeded slow downs, do add to the time, but, again, it wasn't 4 hours.

As i've said before, once you cross the causeway, you get onto Cape Breton Island and you enter a different world. A place where time shouldn't matter, and, where appreciating the unplugged nature , should be a major draw. Even for a guy who lives in an unplugged region.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Google says it's three hours and 52 minutes from Inverness airport to the Halifax airport; but I seem to recall doing it in about three hours. I do have a notoriously heavy right foot though.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back