News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Desert Mountain( 6 Nicklaus courses) sold to members...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »
Intrigued by the idea of six courses on one site I looked the area up on Google Earth. The only patches of green to be seen for miles around are bloody golf courses...

Am I alone in thinking that this is an obscenity in every imaginable way?  

I was amused however, to see a business advertised called 'Desert Mountain Foreclosures'!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:35:17 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »
How much does a buildable one-acre lot go for in that neck of the woods?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
The homes are much more impressive than the golf.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
"Am I alone in thinking that this is an obscenity in every imaginable way?"

Duncan Cheslett -

Have you ever been to Arizona? Are you aware that much of it (and much of California as well) is a desert climate that gets little or no rain for months on end?

If it was not for irrigation that produces what you are seeing in the satellite images, there would be very few golf courses in much of that part of the world.

DT 

Greg Chambers

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
And that irrigation isn't gonna flow forever...
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »
Duncan,
All six golf courses and almost all others in the PHX/Scottsdall area are irrigated with reclaimed water. Water that used to be discharged down dry desert washes but is now cleaned up from sewer discharge and sold to those courses at a profit by the water utility companies. Does that fact make it any less obscene to you?

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
And that irrigation isn't gonna flow forever...
Only stops if people quit using the toilet and taking showers.
All this desert course wasting water is crap. Yes they used to, but at least in AZ they have been restricting water use and mandating the use of reclaimed for years. You really care about water use. Take on ag in the southwest, golf in AZ has been using reclaimed water for decades. But don't let those facts get in the way of nice little sound bites.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
My comment wasn't about the golf courses using water, my comment was about the fact that the irrigation sources are drying up.  And that is a fact.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
I seriously doubt toilets are drying up. Even in Arizona.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »
The number of 1M+ houses for sale in Desert Mountain reflects the economy IMO:

http://lisalucky.com/ArmlsPages/dm_price.htm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Andy Troeger

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
I actually think its impressive and perhaps a bit surprising how much variety exists at Desert Mountain given that the same designer did all of the courses. Outlaw really plays as a desert links, with good width, interesting greens, and firm conditions. Its perhaps a little severe at times, but overall its perhaps the best AZ course that no one seems to mention.  Renegade is unique with its two pins per hole and often two greens per hole. The variety there is excellent, and its my favorite of the bunch. Chiricahua is the most scenic, but perhaps a little more similar to other nearby courses in terms of target desert golf. I wasn't a huge fan of Cochise in comparison to the other three, and haven't gotten back to Geronimo or Apache yet.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
My comment wasn't about the golf courses using water, my comment was about the fact that the irrigation sources are drying up.  And that is a fact.

I would guess that reclaim irrigation water useage is at an all time high and the sources will continues to become more numerous as it is now a sources of income. I do not see it drying up anytime soon. As stated, a long a people are washing dishes, using toilets, taking showers, washing clothes, this source will continue to flurish.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back