News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Nefyn & District (with pics)
« on: August 19, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
Recently returned from a week at Nefyn on the Lleyn peninsula in North Wales. This really is one of the most beautiful places on earth with lovely beaches and fantastic mountain scenery. When the sun shines, which isn't very often, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else. We had great weather all week, unbelievably in this most awful of UK summers.

Nefyn and district consists of 26 holes. There is a new and an old course with 10 common holes. The Old course is the one to play as this features the original 8 holes on a slim and spectacular peninsula. There are some astonishingly quirky, spectacular and completely unfair holes here. Luckily / unluckily, there was a competition on the New course all week so I was only able to play the 8 original holes.

Hole 11. There is a cliff off the right. The green is just over the top of the steep hill.

second from the right rough

green

12th drive! Did I mention this was quirky?

Over the ridge

Green (being mowed). There is a blow hole (fenced off) to the ocean below in the middle of the fairway.

13th tee. One of the most spectacular holes in golf.

View to the right of the tee

Approach

Green from the side

More to follow

Jon Wiggett

Re:Nefyn & District (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:28:34 PM »
So far it looks great

Ed Tilley

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »
14th hole. There is a grass tee to the right, but the main tee is an artificial tee on the tower you can see to the left of the 13th fairway. To say this is exposed would be an understatement. I really liked this hole, even ignoring its stunning setting. The prevailing wind is behind and from the right meaning you can't land and hold the green. You need to work it from the right using the natural slopes.

15th drive - don't go left.

second to skyline green

16th tee. Par 3 over 12th fairway. One of the drawbacks is that the holes are very tightly clustered meaning you are often playing over / near other holes. If you are playing badly at this point you could retire to the Ty Coch Inn on the beach below for a swift pint or two.

17th tee, par 5. Other than the 13th this was my favourite hole. I don't really know why but it reminded me in some ways of the 16th at St. Enodoc.

Second

Looking back down the 17th

View of the 2nd hole from the 17th fairway.

18th hole. Very much 'after the lord mayor's show' - a pretty mundane short par 4.

A view of the peninsula from the other side of teh bay. Note the tower with the 14th tee.

Doing my bit for the Welsh tourist board.

From Snowdon:

Does anyone know the way to Llanfairpwyll.........?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
Thanks for the pics Ed. It takes a LOT of believing that that is Wales 8/2007, not Crete or Cyprus! I would love to get there one day, though somehow the chances of replicating the weather you enjoyed would appear remote! The quirk factor reminds me of Perranporth, though Nefyn clearly wins the scenery stakes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
Thanks Ed for a wonderful overview of this most interesting course.

I looked up their home page....

http://www.nefyn-golf-club.com/index.php

I can't figure who laid it out in 1907.  All I could find on a quick search is that Fred Hawtree remodeled it in the 60s.  

I'm curious if those, like myself, who think blind shots can be overdone on modern designs, can embrace these sort of holes.  

For my own part the answer is unequivocably, yes.  I just experienced a modern course trying to embrace minimalist lay out features that left many blind shots in the routing.  Too many.  And, to complicate that matter, trees and more native rough areas, apparently way more severe than seen in your photos, Ed.  

What a spectacular place, and open all year!  see webpage green fees... wow.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 03:35:58 AM »
Ed

Thanks for the lovely pix.  That 13th really is a superb hole.  Its unfortunate that nearly all of the remaining bits of the course are a letdown.  This really is a beauty and no brains place.  Even so, Nefyn does have its admirers.  In truth, its not a bad course, just not a good un'.  I for one prefer the Ty Coch and did drop down for libations.  That beach down there is lovely drinking spot.

Ciao  

It's a fantastic spot but the course is not quite as good as it should be. The bunkers have no real character to them, the greens seem to be very flat - it looks like they have been flattened. I think if someone who knew what they were doing got their hands on it, and the club was prepared to spend some money you could get a wonderful course out of the land.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:12:48 AM »
James Braid did the original course.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:09:37 AM »
The problems are that once you get away from the first couple of holes and until you get on the peninsula holes the rest are pretty uninteresting, although the views are always good. And, as you say, if you're not playing well you can get in serious trouble. The place can be crowded with families with buckets and spades heading down the track on the headland, so make sure your insurance is up to date. I agree about the condition, but like many North Wales it doesn't have a lot of money, it is in no position to whack up its membership fees, and it cannot simply put its green fees up when there is characterful, inexpensive golf to be had elsewhere locally (Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Holyhead, Bull Bay, Anglesea, St Deiniol). If it has any cash reserves it must be kept for the next landslip - bits of the headland keep crashing into the sea - hence the spare holes. But, like Painswick, you play here for reasons other than conditioning.  Great pics!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:09:56 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »
This has to beat Old Head's visuals--probably a better course. OT --after viewing the sign, I now know why the Superfurry Animals are probably the most artistic modern pop band.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Nefyn & District (with pics)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
The problem with 12, 16, 17 and 18 is the road is very busy with walkers. From the 12th tee it is extremely dangerous as you are hitting blind at the busy road and 16th fairway.

The other issue is the five hour round as it's a) impossible not to stop at the Ty Coch Inn and b) to have less than two pints!
Cave Nil Vino

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
Nefyn is an odd duck.

I enjoyed the opener for that wild rolling and fascinating approach shot in with the point in the backdrop. The next are beautiful with similar settings to the 9th and 10th at Pebble Beach, although the architecture is almost non-existent. The rest of the front is set on some great land with the 8th and 9th being the most interesting holes. The rest is very forgetable

The point is why you are there. The 11th is really quirky but I liked it a lot. The 12th is impossible to play and dangerous as hell with walkers, the pub, the cars, the road and golfers coming up the 16th. Still it’s a fun hole to play if you don’t hit anything or kill anyone.

The 13th is so good that it’s worth the trip alone. It’s one of the most fun holes I have ever played with a spectacular carry over the sea and cliffs. The green setting in the rocks is cool too.

The 14th is a great setting but once again fairly simple from an architectural perspective. The 15th is fine ... I guess.

The 16th is another interesting hole played over the blow hole. Although you are in the “dead zone” the entire time with the 12th.  I liked the first two shots on the17th, but missed the sea once you played to the green. The 18th was simply a way back home, although the elevated green was fun to play too.

I enjoyed the experience and caught it on a windy but clear day. It needs major work to be something. It could be something, but I doubt they’ll ever change what they have.

A good thread on here would be how would you improve Nefyn & District. It would be a great test.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:42:10 PM by Ian Andrew »

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »
Nefyn is an odd duck.

I enjoyed the opener for that wild rolling and fascinating approach shot in with the point in the backdrop. The next are beautiful with similar settings to the 9th and 10th at Pebble Beach, although the architecture is almost non-existent. The rest of the front is set on some great land with the 8th and 9th being the most interesting holes. The rest is very forgetable

The point is why you are there. The 11th is really quirky but I liked it a lot. The 12th is impossible to play and dangerous as hell with walkers, the pub, the cars, the road and golfers coming up the 16th. Still it’s a fun hole to play if you don’t hit anything or kill anyone.

The 13th is so good that it’s worth the trip alone. It’s one of the most fun holes I have ever played with a spectacular carry over the sea and cliffs. The green setting in the rocks is cool too.

The 14th is a great setting but once again fairly simple from an architectural perspective. The 15th is fine ... I guess.

The 16th is another interesting hole played over the blow hole. Although you are in the “dead zone” the entire time with the 12th.  I liked the first two shots on the17th, but missed the sea once you played to the green. The 18th was simply a way back home, although the elevated green was fun to play too.

I enjoyed the experience and caught it on a windy but clear day. It needs major work to be something. It could be something, but I doubt they’ll ever change what they have.

A good thread on here would be how would you improve Nefyn & District. It would be a great test.

I thoroughly enjoyed Nefyn-Sean and I definitely disagree on this one.
Sometimes the golf course and setting need simply to be enjoyed, rather than pitted against each other, as we are prone to do here on GCA.

It made for a striking comparison to play Royal  St. David's(which I also enjoyed) the same day where the mowing lines of rough created the majority of the architectural interest, as opposed to the terrain/surroundings at Nefyn dictating the interest.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:51:49 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Robert Thompson

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »
I guess Nefyn take minimalist to a new degree -- there doesn't seem to be any consideration given to the architecture. If they thought some strategy through -- and tweaked some things accordingly -- this could be great. Not good, but great. I'm with Ian -- I doubt they'll do anything. It was a pleasant surprise regardless.

We played St. Davids in a hazy, overcast day last April, then motored up and played Nefyn in pure sunlight. Off mix I'll say...
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »
Jeff

There is only so much time and money my friend.  As Ian alludes to, why is a golfer at Nefyn?  I can take in the views and pub for free.  Plus there are plenty of other pretty spots with a good course.  To me, its not worth traveling from the Midlands for another look - not by a long shot.  I don't think it would take that much to make it a far better course, byt like Robert and Ian state, the club won't ever go for that.  One positive thing other than the views is a great logo!

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:14:21 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 05:08:25 AM »
Last I heard about Nefyn, was that David Williams was looking at into readjusting the course layout so that it becomes 3 proper 9 hole loops.

http://www.williamsgolf.co.uk/section/19/golf_design_DWGD_TO_ASSIST_NEFYN_&_DISTRICT_GOLF_CLUB.html

Cheers
Ben

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »
I have always heard mixed things about Nefyn. Certainly the pics look stunning, but I guess its a bit Painswicky and the quirk is not for all.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Noel Freeman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
As was mentioned one of the best things about Nefyn (pronounced NEVIN) which is a great place for a restorative adult beverage after playing #12... that is, if you follow the path down to it.. One of the most beautiful little nooks in the British Empire..

http://www.tycoch.co.uk/

Robert Thompson

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »
They were finishing the practice facility when we were there. But I spoke with the secretary and super and neither talked about any changes to the course. They said Ian Woosnam and IMG had approached the club a few years ago about completely overhauling it, but the members wouldn't go for it.
I'm not sure that would have been the correct approach either -- but reworking the bunkers and tweaking a few of the greens would help the course if done properly.

Last I heard about Nefyn, was that David Williams was looking at into readjusting the course layout so that it becomes 3 proper 9 hole loops.

http://www.williamsgolf.co.uk/section/19/golf_design_DWGD_TO_ASSIST_NEFYN_&_DISTRICT_GOLF_CLUB.html

Cheers
Ben

Noel Freeman

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »
The Tee location on the 5th hole rivals #8 at Pebble and #10 at Fishers for settings near the water..

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
Jeff

There is only so much time and money my friend.  As Ian alludes to, why is a golfer at Nefyn?  I can take in the views and pub for free.  Plus there are plenty of other pretty spots with a good course.  To me, its not worth traveling from the Midlands for another look - not by a long shot.  I don't think it would take that much to make it a far better course, byt like Robert and Ian state, the club won't ever go for that.  One positive thing other than the views is a great logo!

Ciao

Like I said, we agree to disagree.
remember, I love Pebble as well.
Sometimes I enjoy a beard pulling experience (there's very little beard pulling at Nefyn)

One thing I'd certainly agree with, because you are located withing a half days drive( or considerably less) of so many good,great,intersting courses, there's no reason for you to go back to one that didn't grab you-particularly one at the end of a remote peninsula.

That said, if someone is in North Wales, I'd hate to see them pass it up because it's occasionally panned on this site(as I said sometimes the terrain is pitted against the architcture)
My point is I had a great day there, (one of my amateur partners had his lowest score ever) it's very different,it's inexpensive, it's fun and welcoming, there are quite a few terrain dictated architecturally compelling holes and the scenery is spectatcular, and you'll remember the day on the course and pub forever (depending upon how long you stay in the pub)

Ater we left the pub after 15 and proceeded to play in we allowed a group of kids to play through.
One hit driver on the par three 16th, barely cleared that giant hole (pictured) and rolled it up to hit the pin.
We then played in in the company of some walkers(one of whom was the Captain of nearby Porthmadog)
In all ,a wondeful afternoon.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Robert Thompson

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
Jeff: Don't get me wrong -- Ian and I very much enjoyed the experience when we played there. I just thought it had the potential to be all-world, and right now it is simply intriguing.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
Jeff

Ciao

Like I said, we agree to disagree.
remember, I love Pebble as well.
Sometimes I enjoy a beard pulling experience (there's very little beard pulling at Nefyn)

One thing I'd certainly agree with, because you are located withing a half days drive( or considerably less) of so many good,great,intersting courses, there's no reason for you to go back to one that didn't grab you-particularly one at the end of a remote peninsula.

That said, if someone is in North Wales, I'd hate to see them pass it up because it's occasionally panned on this site(as I said sometimes the terrain is pitted against the architcture)
My point is I had a great day there, (one of my amateur partners had his lowest score ever) it's very different,it's inexpensive, it's fun and welcoming, there are quite a few terrain dictated architecturally compelling holes and the scenery is spectatcular, and you'll remember the day on the course and pub forever (depending upon how long you stay in the pub)

Ater we left the pub after 15 and proceeded to play in we allowed a group of kids to play through.
One hit driver on the par three 16th, barely cleared that giant hole (pictured) and rolled it up to hit the pin.
We then played in in the company of some walkers(one of whom was the Captain of nearby Porthmadog)
In all ,a wondeful afternoon.

Jeff

Fair enough.  Nefyn is not a course I would recommend unless one is going to be on the far side of the Lleyn Peninsula for some reason, but it is cheap and cheerful on a sunny day.   I can quite happily make my way to Harlech, Aberdovey or Conwy, but I am not sure I would recommend that others see any of the Welsh courses off the south coast unless one is in the near neighbourhood or just likes to hit out of the places (ie on a JW forced march - tee hee).

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Greg Taylor

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »
This is my first post, however having played Nefyn a couple of times I've got some first hand experience of the course....

Don't get me wrong if you are in the area it's a must do. That being said without the views and cliff top holes the course make the difference. Without the setting it wouldn't command the attention that it does. Also, the last few holes do sometimes create the impression they have been squeezed into not a lot land/real estate.

Let's not be unkind however in terms of value for money and sheer fun it's great... Perfect holiday golf.

Greg

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
This is my first post, however having played Nefyn a couple of times I've got some first hand experience of the course....

Don't get me wrong if you are in the area it's a must do. That being said without the views and cliff top holes the course make the difference. Without the setting it wouldn't command the attention that it does. Also, the last few holes do sometimes create the impression they have been squeezed into not a lot land/real estate.

Let's not be unkind however in terms of value for money and sheer fun it's great... Perfect holiday golf.

Greg

Greg,
The setting is the whole point.
Without the setting there'd be no criticism (because no one here would've evr seen or heard of it)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back