News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Tanner

Re: Best Beach and Golf Combination
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »
Throwing in another recommendation for Kiawah. The beach is wide and the surf is gentle There are great recreational programs for  kids of all ages. The spa in The Sanctuary is pretty sweet. And, of yeah, you can play The Ocean Course in PGA Championship condition if you want to beat your brains in. Remember to eat some shrimp and grits while you're there. 
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
Paul- I love PGA Village in Port St Lucie, FL.  Staying in nearby Vero Beach is excellent for a quaint beach community- the golf at PGA Village is very good, for Florida- plus a real bargain in the summer (under $40 a round)  I've parked my wife at the pool and beach- I escape to the couse, we meet up for a nice dinner near the water and everyone is happy
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
Santa Barbara, CA
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »
If nothing else this thread confirms that there are a number of folks on this site who've never shopped at Wal-Mart or eaten at Cracker Barrel.  OMG, I AM a hillbilly.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
We've been going there for years, so I gotta throw Sanibel Island, FL into the mix.  Great beaches, a very natural island setting, plenty of family activities to choose from, cheaper prices in the summer months, and tons of golf within an hour's drive including The Sanctuary on the island itself.

Just something to consider...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Don Hyslop

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
Another vote for PEI, the Island Province. In particular Cavendish which is located on the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Four courses almost within walking distance of each other and one of the best beaches you will ever find located in the National Park which is part of the town. Lots of attractions for the kids and the home of Anne of Green Gables. Check it out!

http://www.cavendishbeachpei.com/
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

mike_beene

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
I have seen a lot of beaches but nothing comes close to Destin.I know little about the golf there.If you are willing to fly,south Maui has decent beaches and good golf.The caribean can get hot in the summer.I would go to the Broadmoor.It has a nice beach on the little lake.

Paul Jones

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
Last year we went to Gulf Shores / Orange  Beach and I really liked Kiva Dunes, but the rest of the courses were awful.  I was going to drive to Pensacola to visit Bill and play Pensacola CC, but he was out of town.  I use to always go to Destin as a kid, but have not been in many years and never played golf there - I think I might give that a try this year.  It is only a 5-6 hour drive from Lafayette. I really like the idea of Hilton Sandestin - especially since I have a bunch of Hilton Points.  I am looking to go for a week and can probably only play 2 courses. 

Bill, how far is Sandestin from you?  Maybe I can make a trip Pensacola if you are in town.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
My wife wants to go to the beach this summer and I want to play golf.  She already ruled out Pebble Beach :-) and Hawaii.

Where are some good locations to take the wife and kids and still be able to play some decent courses?

Thanks,
Paul

Mustang Island, Texas. Newport Dunes (didn't Sims or Halladay call it the Bandon of the Gulf Coast), Padre Isles, Northshore, and Rockport. Plus Wolf Point is 90 minutes away. I can stay on the couch, or my car. I know the way around the place Paul.

Sam,

I have not heard of any of those places :-(.  I will have to give Wyatt a call.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

mike_beene

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »
for the non golf days ,there is or was ,it's been a while,really fun par 3 course right over the Fort Walton bridge with holes fronting the bay.A fun quick nine holes.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
Hey Paul,

Hope all is going well.  I actually used to go down to Destin, FL a lot when I was a kid growing up in Indiana.  Like others have said, great beaches, and a good family place to spend a week.  When it comes to vacationing with the family, it would probably be better to make sure they are happy first.  For the golf, you need to hop in your car, and make the 30 minute drive to Panama city where I have stayed a couple of times too.  Two golf courses that are worth playing, played them a while ago so don't know what kind of shape they are in now.   Camp Creek Golf Course, a resort course designed by Tom Fazio, and Sharks Tooth Golf Club, a Norman design with some good water holes.  Hopefully this helps.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
My wife wants to go to the beach this summer and I want to play golf.  She already ruled out Pebble Beach :-) and Hawaii.

Where are some good locations to take the wife and kids and still be able to play some decent courses?

Thanks,
Paul

Mustang Island, Texas. Newport Dunes (didn't Sims or Halladay call it the Bandon of the Gulf Coast), Padre Isles, Northshore, and Rockport. Plus Wolf Point is 90 minutes away. I can stay on the couch, or my car. I know the way around the place Paul.

Sam,

I have not heard of any of those places :-(.  I will have to give Wyatt a call.

It's the true Redneck Riviera, Destin and Panama City are new money.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:03:57 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

Re: Best Beach and Golf Combination New
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
Last year we went to Gulf Shores / Orange  Beach and I really liked Kiva Dunes, but the rest of the courses were awful.  I was going to drive to Pensacola to visit Bill and play Pensacola CC, but he was out of town.  I use to always go to Destin as a kid, but have not been in many years and never played golf there - I think I might give that a try this year.  It is only a 5-6 hour drive from Lafayette. I really like the idea of Hilton Sandestin - especially since I have a bunch of Hilton Points.  I am looking to go for a week and can probably only play 2 courses.  

Bill, how far is Sandestin from you?  Maybe I can make a trip Pensacola if you are in town.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Paul

Paul, we are about 75 minutes west of Sandestin.  The Baytowne Wharf complex is nice and there's a shuttle to the beach, but the Hilton is right on the gulf beach.

Hopefully I'll be in town, would enjoy showing you Pensacola CC.

The Hilton Pensacola Beach is another good option, great beach facilities and not as touristy as Destin.  (Shameless plug for Pensacola tourism).

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/PNSPEHF-Hilton-Pensacola-Beach-Gulf-Front-Florida/index.do

If your kids are interested in aviation, the National Museum of Naval Aviation is hard to beat.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:33:27 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back