News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Grasty

Re: Global warming ????
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »
          Maybe we could use another GREAT environmentalist like Genghis Khan !   read:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/was-genghis-khan-historys-greenest-conqueror

Green is the new red.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 11:06:12 AM »
I believe the saying goes...."There is no fact in science".  The point being just when you think you have the answer you discover something that totally blows your last "fact" right out of the water.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
Craig, there is no such a thing as "saying" in science.

As we discover new things, our understanding becomes more complete. It does not "blow" away previously established facts.

Newtonian motion was replaced by Relativity because Newtonian motions broke down when scales got incredibly large or very very small. It does not mean that Newtonian motion was wrong. It was indeed correct and factual, it was just not complete.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
Guys,

Regardless of what you think of the science involved, it's in all our interests to reduce our carbon footprint and particularly to end our dependence on oil imports....How much of the last 100 years of geopolitical history and our current deficit military spending is the result of our getting in bed with oil producing countries?

We import more oil from Canada and Mexico. Do we spend military money on these countries? I have often wondered if a country like ours could ever meet it's demand for energy from completely internal and or friendly sources. Seems to me that the answer is no. I hope I will be proven wrong.

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »
Guys,

Regardless of what you think of the science involved, it's in all our interests to reduce our carbon footprint and particularly to end our dependence on oil imports....How much of the last 100 years of geopolitical history and our current deficit military spending is the result of our getting in bed with oil producing countries?

We import more oil from Canada and Mexico. Do we spend military money on these countries? I have often wondered if a country like ours could ever meet it's demand for energy from completely internal and or friendly sources. Seems to me that the answer is no. I hope I will be proven wrong.

Well let's see,  Saudi Arabia is 3rd on the list, Venezuela 4th, Nigeria 5th, Algeria 6th, Russia 7th, Iraq 9th, Angola 10th and Kuwait 15th.  Wouldn't it be nice to give all these folks the heave-ho?  By the way, if the sh*t hit the fan in either Canada or Mexico who do you think would be riding to the rescue?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:43:45 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »

Jud,

What are your solutions? 

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
Your point about the rest of our suppliers is well taken. It was just too easy to pick the first 2, but it makes a point. Should all trade with these other countries be given the heave-ho?

Regarding the riding to the rescue of Canada and Mexico, it doesn't make your point for you. We would show up whether we bought oil from them or not. I guess what I am saying is that our military spending is not perfectly aligned with our oil purchases. The carbon question is an economical question disguised as an environmental question. Combine health care reform with cap and trade and you pretty much have control over every breath and action that an American citizen will take in their lifetime. Sounds like freedom to me; not really.

Jud_T

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

Jud,

What are your solutions? 

Well for starters I just went from a car getting 18 mpg to one getting 36 and my wife went from 14 to 41.  We should all be driving plug-in diesel hybrids that get 50-100 mpg.  Don't get me started on health care...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Some of us live in snowy hilly areas and use our vehicles to transport things for work. Please don't attempt to speak for us.

My vote is that global warming/climate change is the single most toxic subject on here. I'd be curious to read others' nominations.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil McDade

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

My vote is that global warming/climate change is the single most toxic subject on here. I'd be curious to read others' nominations.

Merion!

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »

Jud,

What are your solutions? 

Well for starters I just went from a car getting 18 mpg to one getting 36 and my wife went from 14 to 41.  We should all be driving plug-in diesel hybrids that get 50-100 mpg.  Don't get me started on health care...

Well that's all well and good, however I was thinking much bigger like switching all long haul trucks to CNG, build lots more nuclear power plants, utilize wind, water and solar as much as possible, higher taxes on oil, etc..

If you want to reduce emissions and reduces our dependance on foreign oil, its going to take a lot more than buying a prius. Especially if you live in a region where all the power is generated by coal.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
George,

Phil beat me to the punch.

If climate change causes us to focus on cleaner, locally produced energy, then I'm all for it. I'd like to hope that 17 years from now, when my newest grandchild turns 18, he won't be going off to war for oil (or water, for that matter).

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jud_T

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Some of us live in snowy hilly areas and use our vehicles to transport things for work. Please don't attempt to speak for us.

George,

They're fully capable of making Trucks and SUV's that get dramatically better mileage.  It's just a question of time and money...Eventually it'll be cost effective if the will's there.  What percentage of SUV and truck owners either live in the mountains or have more than 3 children?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:34:42 PM by Jud Tigerman »

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »

Ah, another list thread. I am in.

Jud_T

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »

Jud,

What are your solutions? 

Well that's all well and good, however I was thinking much bigger like switching all long haul trucks to CNG, build lots more nuclear power plants, utilize wind, water and solar as much as possible, higher taxes on oil, etc..

If you want to reduce emissions and reduces our dependance on foreign oil, its going to take a lot more than buying a prius. Especially if you live in a region where all the power is generated by coal.

Craig,

I agree that a large gas tax would be the most effective tool to move us in this direction, but it's way too politically incorrect...

Anthony Butler

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »

So you have decided to ignore Ran request to behave, that show some serious disrespect not only to him but to all the members on this site. You continue having a go, I will not react to a rather unpleasant individual who should know better.

Melvyn
If Ran has a problem with this thread, I expect to hear it from him. If Old Tom Morris has a problem with what I'm saying, I'd like to hear it from him as well.

Taking offense on behalf of other people is a tactic I'm rather familiar with since every third sentence out of my wife's mouth is;  "... your mother (passed away 2008)/father (1996) would be ashamed of you." I don't think this is one of these occasions.

With regard to the word 'opinions' being thrown around here, I seem to recall the tobacco companies used the tactic that scientific data was also "opinion' for many years while they tried to squeeze the last dime out of our grandparents' hacking, wheezing corpse...

Next!

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »

Jud,

What are your solutions? 

Craig,

I agree that a large gas tax would be the most effective tool to move us in this direction, but it's way too politically incorrect...

too politically incorrect, too economically inefficient, and too tyrannical. How about a large tax on beef. Think of the carbon savings on the front end and the carbon and methane savings on the back end (pardon the pun). Then we have the health care savings to boot. I think we are on to something. Let's tax ourselves into submission.

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
Jeff,
Why do you thing Europe is so much more fuel efficient?

George Pazin

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »

Merion!

Damn, how'd I miss that one? I admit to only really considering the OT threads... but Merion is definitely the most toxic overall.

Ah, another list thread. I am in.

:) Thanks, laughed out loud at this one.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »
Jeff,
Why do you thing Europe is so much more fuel efficient?

At what cost? A government mandate does not necessarily bring efficiency to the table. People pay a higher price for fuel and it does drive efficiency in it's use. Of course this comes at the expense of other things that Europeans could do with their hard earned money. Your point is a good one though. It is good to be reminded how effective it can be to simply restrict human activity in exchange for a possibility that a trace gas is the main driver of global average temperature and that the temperature should be lower than it is now.

Jud_T

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
Jeff,

How about not pissing away a Trillion dollars chasing more black gold and protecting our "strategic" interests in Iraq?

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
Jeff,

How about not pissing away a Trillion dollars chasing more black gold and protecting our "strategic" interests in Iraq?

OK.

Greg Clark

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
Science does not care if you "believe" or not and science does not care if some talkingheads on cable news network disputes it.

Science does not have the capacity to "care" as it is not a living, breathing thing.  Rather it is an enterprise populated by scientists.  These creatures are human and like you and me imperfect beings.

Yes, they are imperfect, but that is why the peer-review system is in place. It ensures that "bad science" is eliminated because others can demonstrate flaws thru reasoned argument, data, and calculations. If I were you I wouldn't be so quick to look down upon this method. Science and the peer-review process has been "the process" that has developped every technology in our world that makes our lives better. This is the same process that is saying that climate change is real and anthropogenic.

I do no get offended very easily. But I do find it very insulting when people spout out their opinions as if they think they are right when people like myself have gone to school and studied the research and friends of mine are actually DOING the research. Would you not find it insulting if I told you that at your job, as say a doctor, you do not know how to practice medecine, or are doign it incorrectly, all the while all I know about medecine is what I learned watching a hospital-based television drama? For some reason people feel like their opinion on the subject matter of climate change counts for something. Just something for you detractors, and people in general to keep in mind, because what I just said could apply to many things.

Matt,

I find your response curious, as you make several assumptions and implications about me.  I have made nothing more than a factual statement of which you agree in your first few words.  From there you accuse me of "looking down" on the peer review process.  I have done no such thing.  You imply that I have forgotten, or discounted that science has developed every technology in the world.  I have made no such statement, and hold no such belief that science has little value.  As an aside I would point out that "science" has done no such thing.  People have.  We owe nothing to science, as it is not a living thing.  Humans are responsible for our achievements and have developed the enterprise of science and the pursuit of truth.  It is to us that we owe our accomplishments. 

You go on to become offended because I have spouted opinion; again I have offered no opinion, just a statement of fact.  You make an assumption that I must not have gone to school and studied the research.  I must also not have friends DOING the research.  Further you imply that I must be developing my opinions based on watching TV, or possibly you believe me not to have the mental acuity to recognize the facts for what they are.  Wow, you really drew a lot of information from a few short sentences.  Well done.  I will now retire to my living room for cartoon watching.  While doing so I will wipe the drool from my chin, eat the booger I just picked and contemplate how a man with your soaring intellect and brilliant friends managed to twice misspell medicine.  Maybe you were speaking French.

Richard,

I tend not to post on these types of threads, as too many folks resort to name calling.  You don’t know me, and I don’t know you, so I will not take offense to being called dumb and lazy.  Life is too short to engage in discourse with someone that quickly resorts to such tactics.  Candidly, I find it rather revealing.

You also have made some incorrect assumptions in your post.  I did not state or imply that because humans are fallible, facts are therefore fallible.  I believe no such thing.  Furthermore, I am not insulting “the amazing scientific discoveries throughout the ages.”  The quest for knowledge, truth and the betterment of the human condition is a noble and needed endeavor.  I am not someone who believes that the earth came into existence 6,000 years ago.

It is clear from your response that you believe science to be perfect, as you take issue with my claim that it is imperfect.  I stand by my statement.  Just because scientists have discovered and proven facts, that does not make the enterprise of science perfect.  That is a standard that is not reachable.  I struggle to see how that is a controversial statement.  The peer review process is not perfect either, as it was developed by and is practiced by humans.  That does not mean that I don’t feel that it has value (obviously it does) nor am I dismissive of the discoveries that the peer review process has helped scientists achieve and document.  To strive for total and perfect understanding is of great value to us.  Let’s just not pretend the system in place eliminates the shortcomings of man.  Rather it is the best that we can do.

As for climate change being definitively and factually proven to be anthropogenic, I don’t believe that it has.  The imperfectness that I mentioned in my original post I believe to go a bit deeper than “bad science” subject to correction by peer review, as it applies to the research on climate change.  I’m sure to you this makes me a boob, or whatever other insults you want to pile on.  Somehow I’ll live.

As for now, I must retire to the living room as Bugs Bunny is on.  Later, when the show becomes too complicated for me to grasp, I will likely blow bubbles and giggle uncontrollably.

George Pazin

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
Greg, you are welcome to join me watching cartoons anytime.

John Kirk

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
One time our Pumpkin Ridge superintendent Bill Webster explained to me how it felt at the yearly member's meeting, where he gave a "State of the Course" speech.  He told me he looked around the room and said to himself,

"Friend, foe, foe, friend, friend, foe..."

People who know me know which side of this argument I stand.  Regardless, assuming these energy rich hydrocarbons are a finite resource, name one good reason why we shouldn't try to minimize their use.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:40:59 PM by John Kirk »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back