News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Global warming ????
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »

As per my first paragraph re my post regards volcanoes doing more damage to this small planet, let’s just look to one – which has a potential caldera of 35miles x 45miles and is regarded as a ‘supervolcano’.

When this little beauty goes bang it will not only do more damage than Man has ever achieved but may have the possibility of wiping out life on Earth. This little ball of happiness is located in Yellowstone Park  and to my knowledge has no connection to Man and his destructive ways, this is Mother Nature saying whatever we think we can do she can do it so much better.

Or are you going to blame Man, don’t you just love it when people underestimate potential enemies, seems to be Man never ending story, well in some quarters anyway.

Another possibility, why could it not be God and not Man that is causing these problems, after all it life on Earth that is suffering  - ops oh yes realize now why it may not be God, the Scientist don’t all believe in him.

Melvyn 

Matt Kardash

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »

Another possibility, why could it not be God and not Man that is causing these problems, after all it life on Earth that is suffering  - ops oh yes realize now why it may not be God, the Scientist don’t all believe in him. 

I vote this the funniest thing I read on the board. This is why you are NOT a scientist.
If you start any unknown problem with "maybe God did it" then you will not go very far in life as a scientist. Tell your God of the gaps that I say hi.
:)
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Michael Dugger

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Phillippe, why in the world would you want to throw the chum of global warming to this pack of ravenous piranha?

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Name the movie.

Gary, Anthony sure isn't a Republican... :)

I think that is from the Dark Knight
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Yep.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Clark

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Science does not care if you "believe" or not and science does not care if some talkingheads on cable news network disputes it.

Science does not have the capacity to "care" as it is not a living, breathing thing.  Rather it is an enterprise populated by scientists.  These creatures are human and like you and me imperfect beings.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
Melvyn,
   Your volcano rift is interesting. First you mention one or two or three medium volcanos, then counter with the Yellowstone super volcano (and I agree with your stance, up to a point. That is like discussing miniature golf and proving it with the Old Course. Two volcanos are erupting this week. Volcanoes generally affect weather, not climate. Krakatoa emitted so much ash that it is credited with affecting weather for a year. But ash falls from the atmosphere and weather returns to normal.
  Great Britain has an interesting history regarding man and weather/climate. The big cities weather has improved many fold with lesser dependence on coal for heating. Ask yourself how many pea-soupers were experienced in the 1850s, 1900 and 1950s versus now?
  When you comsider "man-made" remember it includes among other things use of fossil fuels for heat, power and transportation, deforestation for fuel and crop growing, transportation of fuel, raw materails, food and work-commute, the oxygen/carbon-dioxide transfer of all people. It gets worse as the per capita standard of living increases.
  I just retrieved my copy of the January 2011 National Geographic magazine (check it out at your library) and the figures earlier provided were as published.
1 AD 200 million people (est.); 1800 - 1 billion; 1930- 2 billion, 1960- 3 billion; 1974 - 4 billion; 1987- 5 billion; 1999- 6 billiom. This year will see us at 7 billion and the projected rates are 8 billion in 2024 and 9 billion in 2045. Looking at the progression of numbers are each milestone is reached 'they' must be predicting a lower birth rate, shorther life span, natural distaters, wars, migrations from Earth or some combination.

John_Cullum

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
Mucci could give you temperature AND prevailing winds.

Don't you know WIND is always capitalized
Raynor was a hack

Anthony Butler

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Melvyn,
   Your volcano rift is interesting. First you mention one or two or three medium volcanos, then counter with the Yellowstone super volcano (and I agree with your stance, up to a point. That is like discussing miniature golf and proving it with the Old Course. Two volcanos are erupting this week. Volcanoes generally affect weather, not climate. Krakatoa emitted so much ash that it is credited with affecting weather for a year. But ash falls from the atmosphere and weather returns to normal.
  Great Britain has an interesting history regarding man and weather/climate. The big cities weather has improved many fold with lesser dependence on coal for heating. Ask yourself how many pea-soupers were experienced in the 1850s, 1900 and 1950s versus now?
  When you comsider "man-made" remember it includes among other things use of fossil fuels for heat, power and transportation, deforestation for fuel and crop growing, transportation of fuel, raw materails, food and work-commute, the oxygen/carbon-dioxide transfer of all people. It gets worse as the per capita standard of living increases.

Why would you go confuse Melvyn with facts and figures when the man only likes to truck in superstitions and wild theories i.e. Yellowstone Park is out to get us?

To paraphrase someone famous.  "We have looked for the enemy and it is us."

Do you think God would have it any other way?  
Next!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »

Anthony Butler

"Why would you go confuse Melvyn with facts and figures when the man only likes to truck in superstitions and wild theories i.e. Yellowstone Park is out to get us? "

If only, if only but I am not God

So you have decided to ignore Ran request to behave, that show some serious disrespect not only to him but to all the members on this site. You continue having a go, I will not react to a rather unpleasant individual who should know better.

Melvyn

Michael Blake

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
Do people need attention from strangers that badly that they start threads simply because it was too cold to start their round in AZ?
Am I missing something?

Matt Kardash

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
Science does not care if you "believe" or not and science does not care if some talkingheads on cable news network disputes it.

Science does not have the capacity to "care" as it is not a living, breathing thing.  Rather it is an enterprise populated by scientists.  These creatures are human and like you and me imperfect beings.

Yes, they are imperfect, but that is why the peer-review system is in place. It ensures that "bad science" is eliminated because others can demonstrate flaws thru reasoned argument, data, and calculations. If I were you I wouldn't be so quick to look down upon this method. Science and the peer-review process has been "the process" that has developped every technology in our world that makes our lives better. This is the same process that is saying that climate change is real and anthropogenic.

I do no get offended very easily. But I do find it very insulting when people spout out their opinions as if they think they are right when people like myself have gone to school and studied the research and friends of mine are actually DOING the research. Would you not find it insulting if I told you that at your job, as say a doctor, you do not know how to practice medecine, or are doign it incorrectly, all the while all I know about medecine is what I learned watching a hospital-based television drama? For some reason people feel like their opinion on the subject matter of climate change counts for something. Just something for you detractors, and people in general to keep in mind, because what I just said could apply to many things.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Craig Sweet

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
The flaw in Melvyns theory of volcano's and climate change is obvious....the volcano is not spewing CO2 resulting in a chemical change in the atmosphere...the buring of fossil fuels is.  Anyone that thinks man is not changing his climate probably believes the earth was created in seven days and evolution is a hoax.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

Yes, they are imperfect, but that is why the peer-review system is in place. It ensures that "bad science" is eliminated because others can demonstrate flaws thru reasoned argument, data, and calculations. If I were you I wouldn't be so quick to look down upon this method. Science and the peer-review process has been "the process" that has developped every technology in our world that makes our lives better. This is the same process that is saying that climate change is real and anthropogenic.

I do no get offended very easily. But I do find it very insulting when people spout out their opinions as if they think they are right when people like myself have gone to school and studied the research and friends of mine are actually DOING the research. Would you not find it insulting if I told you that at your job, as say a doctor, you do not know how to practice medecine, or are doign it incorrectly, all the while all I know about medecine is what I learned watching a hospital-based television drama? For some reason people feel like their opinion on the subject matter of climate change counts for something. Just something for you detractors, and people in general to keep in mind, because what I just said could apply to many things.
Matt,
Try being a Superintendent.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »
Rick...ice core samples can tell you quite a lot...dust, plant life, and chemicals in the atmosphere are all preserved in an ice core sample and they have looked at samples going back 100's of thousands of years...keep in mind that all sorts of things travel  on the winds and settle out eventually...often on ice sheets....what better place to look at how things were on earth thousands of years ago.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
Don,
What do you mean? Sorry if I am a little dim!

Craig,
On the last reasearch paper I critiqued the researchers were able to go back 800 000 years.

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »

Matt,
Try being a Superintendent.

or a golf pro
or a coach
or a referee
or a waitress
This is probably not a good time to mention how cold of a winter we're having '-'
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Craig Sweet

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
A cold winter or a hot summer is weather....

When you look at the bigger picture...what's the cause of the rain in Austrailia...what's the cause of La Nina...you begin to see how climate change impacts our weather...

Ironically as I type this there's a Chevron commercial on TV and the Chevron shill is saying his company is investing "millions" in alternative energy.....millions...so what would that be? 1% of their oil profits?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »

I am sorry, but this is about the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.

Just because humans are fallible does not mean that facts are fallible otherwise it would not be a fact. For something to be a scientific fact it has to be reproducible and falsifiable. It does not matter if the person who comes up with a scientific theory is not perfect as long as the theory can be tested by anyone and everyone arrives at the same results.

Einstein was far from a perfect human being but he imparted scientific truths that literally moved the heavens and earth. He was also very wrong about Quantum Mechanics, but that didn't matter as the facts from experiments showed how wrong Einstein was.

To say that science is imperfect because humans are imperfect is just dumb and lazy and is an insult to the amazing scientific discoveries throughout the ages.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
I think China is on to the real way to determine if the AGW science is right. Keep emitting and see what happens.

Jud_T

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
Guys,

Regardless of what you think of the science involved, it's in all our interests to reduce our carbon footprint and particularly to end our dependence on oil imports....How much of the last 100 years of geopolitical history and our current deficit military spending is the result of our getting in bed with oil producing countries?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:19:48 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lou_Duran

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
My friend Don,

Superintendents are hardly infalible.  In fact, they are wrong quite often.  You just happen to be an exception to the rule. :-> (suppose to be a grin emoticom here).

Some "subject experts", particularly those who resort to bullying others with so-called "facts", often make mistakes in the application of their heavily-worn knowledge to a multi-variate world.  Unfortunately, when heavily-invested "view-of-the-world" beliefs- and that's all these are- are challenged, out come the insults and invectives.  Afterall, both sides can't own the "facts", so, the thinking process goes something like thies "given that I am intelligent, knowledgeable, and 'good', others who differ with me must be 'dumb', 'ignorant', 'stupid', and perhaps not so well motivated".

One of the sorrows of being a parent is watching your child suffer the consequences of mistakes that you could so clearly see coming down the pike, but were unable to disuade them from committing.  You just pray that they can cope with the outcomes, and perhaps learn from them.  The solace in the aftermath when they come to you and say, "you were right, Dad, I wish I'd had listened to you" hardly offsets the pain of seeing them fail in the first place.   But at least you can see it is a positive sign that the cock-shuredness of "youthful exuberance" is being tempered somewhat by experience, maturity, and broader-scope rationality.

Yes, the climate is changing.  Like with all natural things, change is the rule.  And as is reflected in this thread and several others lately, it has been a difficult weather week in many places.  We have several inches of snow on top of ice in North Texas.  As "dumb" and "stupid" as this might be, I would welcome a return to some of that global warming.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:21:04 AM by Lou_Duran »

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
          Maybe we could use another GREAT environmentalist like Genghis Khan !   read:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/was-genghis-khan-historys-greenest-conqueror

Matt Kardash

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
Everyone needs to see this video. This is why people who are scientifically illiterate should have no opinions on science.
''Sun goes up, sun goes down. Tides comes in, tides goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that!''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlQj078-uGA

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
Matt   -  That is very funny.

Hey - I will go with the science on climate change right AFTER they explain how the pyramids got built.  How did they get there??

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Matt,

According to these  "scientists" its already too late..

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2009/02/living-underwater-in-the-year.html

Better start building nuclear plants as fast as you can!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back