News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Nicklaus Design takes aim at... Nicklaus Design
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
Dustin,

Absolutely. As we discussed the other day and Andrew touches on above, The Australian has an aura that no other Sydney club comes close to capturing, which is entirely separate to the architecture. Looking forward to it.

Dustin Knight

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 10:36:39 PM »
Scott,

Definately agree with Andrew's statement, as I said to you over the phone the other day. There is no other club in Sydney that makes you feel so closed off from the outside world as The Aussie. Regardless of architecture merits you always have that feeling of being fortunate and negotiating hallowed turf while there. I would have to strongly agree that the condition and preservation of the original (american style) design is certainly second to none. Not a blade of grass is ever out of place and you certainly have the feeeling that the course ALWAYS plays as the architect intended. What needs to be taken into account more than anything else is that the course was specifically designed to be the home of the Australian Open in the 80's, when the BEST players of that era were attending every year. Imagine designing a course in Sydney at the moment for the same purpose?? Im sure a course developed with the main intention to challenge Woods, Mickleson etc would also be critised in 2040???!

Cheers
Dustin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:40:38 PM by Dustin Knight »
Lost Farm........ WOW!

David_Elvins

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
What needs to be taken into account more than anything else is that the course was specifically designed to be the home of the Australian Open in the 80's, when the BEST players of that era were attending every year. Imagine designing a course in Sydney at the moment for the same purpose?? Im sure a course developed with the main intention to challenge Woods, Mickleson etc would also be critised in 2040???!

Cheers
Dustin

Dustin,

It was mid 70s I think, and the fields would have been no stronger than this year's Australian Masters. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
Dave,

It was the 70s - but the fields were outstanding and miles better than the Masters last year.
Off the top of my head in 1977 they had:
Nicklaus, Palmer, Crenshaw, Pate, Leitzke, January, Barber (Miller) McGee, Bean- and I am sure I have left a few out.
David Graham won - and of course there were the best Australians including Norman,Shearer and Devlin.
It was an amazing few years - and most of them came because of Nicklaus and a $6000 fee.
Putting together an equivalent fiield now would be more than $6 million. Jack is Tiger so that is 3m gone for a start and Arnold is Mickelson so that is 5m already!! There is at least another 2m for the rest.

David_Elvins

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
Dave,

It was the 70s - but the fields were outstanding and miles better than the Masters last year.
Off the top of my head in 1977 they had:
Nicklaus, Palmer, Crenshaw, Pate, Leitzke, January, Barber (Miller) McGee, Bean- and I am sure I have left a few out.

tHanks for the correction, Mike.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »
Dave,

There is probably little doubt Kerry Packer would have made The Open a massive event. It was almost there from '76-'78 at The Australian.
'76 was the last one on the old course and they grew the rough like crazy and the scores were really high. 77 was on the new - and barely ready -  course
I assume there was a determination made that the old course was not difficult enough and a new design was needed to test the best players.
It is easy to imagine Mr Packer having a reverance for great difficulty over the preservation of an old and classic course. His Elleston course is proof of his love of difficult golf.
In 1979 it went to Metro and had 3 of the 4 major champions in the field - Ballesteros,Zoeller and Graham.
After that there was a huge reliance on Norman with a few other big stars coming down each year.

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 04:55:08 AM »
Heard yesterday that Jack Nicklaus himself was spotted at The Aus last weekend having a look and a chat. Apparently his visit was added onto a fishing trip in New Zealand.

He must really want this job!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back