News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

PGA Dye Course Fast, Firm, and ground game friendly
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
The course was in its best shape ever.  Greens a little fast one day - but so was everywhere in S. Fla.

This article was written for GCA novices, not experts, but I think you'll at l;east agree with the basic premises...

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=3414
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John Kavanaugh

Re: PGA Dye Course Fast, Firm, and ground game friendly
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Link, I am your Father.  Or was that Luke.  Thanks for the heads up Jay!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
John, have you played it?  I think you'd like it.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matt Kardash

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »
Nice write-up, Jay. Do you have any pictures of the course to share? I've only ever seena  few, but from what I have seen the course looks pretty cool and unique.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
Jay,

Is the firm and fast a seasonal thing? Imean, was it due to dormant bermuda and would the course play differently in the summer?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
Jay- I'm a big fan of this course, as well.  I go to Vero Beach in the summer for a beach vacation and play most my rounds at the Dye.  I like the PGA Village- its all golf at a reasonable price.  It is Florida, so it's cart ball and housing- but the Dye is one of the best of this lot, especially at it's price.  PGA Village also has a no nonsense feel about it- I don't like resorts where you have to walk a gauntet of bag boys and valets and overdone clubhouses (Sawgrass)- PGA Village is all golf- plus the practice area is excellent. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »
The course was green, so my best guess is that it's not a seasonal thing.  Although they did get a lot of play on the Dye this year, and said they were trying to keep it faster and firmer than normal.

Here's some pix:

More coming...

Matt Kardash

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
Really cool.
I love Dye's use of a low profile look with manufactured features that are elevated 2 to 5 feet off the ground. I think it is a style that could use further exploring.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
The thing that makes the PGA Dye design is the price. Hard to beat for the total offerings it provides. And for someone like me who is totally enthralled with all that makes FL golf so special that is saying something.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
The thing that makes the PGA Dye design is the price. Hard to beat for the total offerings it provides.

You can definitely pay a lot more money for a lot less course in that area. 

Ted Cahill

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:31:28 AM »
For anyone in the area playing at PGA Village, I would highly reccomend the Florida Club down the 95 near Jupiter.  It is a great bargain- rarely more than 35 dollars and often times, less.  Above average for Florida courses and though a housing development course (which aren't in this part of the world) the houses rarely feel intrusive and are entirely absent on many holes. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back